College Degree?

Heavy Haulin

So I am a 40 yr old male looking to make a career change. Been in Heavy Construction for almost 20 years, and I have no complaints. Operating heavy equipment has been good to me, I just want to fly. I always have. I have a CMEL, and plan on having the CSEL add on done in a few weeks, then CFI over the winter, II & MEI to follow.

I just don't have a degree...........

How relevant is that in this day and age?

More than ever. Without a degree your long term career prospects will be limited. Don't expect to get a job at a legacy carrier without one.

So I am a 40 yr old male looking to make a career change. Been in Heavy Construction for almost 20 years, and I have no complaints. Operating heavy equipment has been good to me, I just want to fly. I always have. I have a CMEL, and plan on having the CSEL add on done in a few weeks, then CFI over the winter, II & MEI to follow.

There are jobs that do not require a degree, but your competition probably has one. This topic has been completely covered in previous threads, always with one side saying "A degree doesn't make you a better pilot," and the other saying, "It doesn't matter if you're better or not, without a degree you aren't competitive."

Good luck.

There are jobs that do not require a degree, but your competition probably has one. This topic has been completely covered in previous threads, always with one side saying "A degree doesn't make you a better pilot," and the other saying, "It doesn't matter if you're better or not, without a degree you aren't competitive."

Good luck.

I know in my heart it won't make me a better pilot. But that's why I asked this because I know the other guy has a degree.

What kind of flying do you want to end up doing and where do you want to do it?

Regional airlines for the most part wont care about the degree. However, bear in mind that the days of making $100K at the regionals as a lifer captain are coming to a close. Like @jtrain609 said, a degree is essential to move on to major airlines. Quite a few guys at my regional are stuck because they lack the degree.

Regional airlines for the most part wont care about the degree. However, bear in mind that the days of making $100K at the regionals as a lifer captain are coming to a close. Like @jtrain609 said, a degree is essential to move on to major airlines. Quite a few guys at my regional are stuck because they lack the degree.

A buddy of mine is a 737 Capt for United, he kinda lined me out on how he did it, and it seems pretty doable while flying at a regional. He gets back in country in a couple weeks so I plan on really pickin his brain on this.

Last edited:
I recently jumped on a US Airways flight and the FO did not have a degree. im sure there are not many of those guys tho.

A buddy of mine is a 737 Capt for United, he kinda lined me out on how he did it, and it seems pretty doable while flying at a regional. He gets back in country in a couple weeks so I plan on really pickin his brain on this.
Well when he did it regional pay scales were much higher, they are getting cut everywhere. Also United requires one now I believe.

How about corporate type flying NetJets PlaneSense AirSprint etc they require this as well? Does it count to say with legitimate proof you're working to finish? Pretty hard to take on even more debt, let alone affording to pay the debt already accrued for the career. And what about a graduate? Isn't that the new undergrad these days? Sigh... All I see is $$$ and none in the bank.

More than ever. Without a degree your long term career prospects will be limited. Don't expect to get a job at a legacy carrier without one.
There are some days that I feel that my BS in Aeronautical Science degree is worthless, but I know I'll be glad once I've progressed though my career a bit. Thanks for reaffirming that!

Yes and no. You'll need a degree for the majors. However, you do not need a degree for most 135 and 91 stuff. Yes, the fortune 500 and greater companies require a 4 year, but that can be waived if you know someone.

For whatever it's worth, our flight department (Part 91 w/P135 Ops Manual) requires everyone have a 4-year degree. Even our F/A's (we don't call them that) have a 4-year degree. So far, we have never waived this. No need to.

Does it make you a better pilot? Absolutely not. Will you need it to take your career as far as it can possibly go? Yes.

Everybody knows someone who was hired at __________ Airline without a college degree. A good friend of mine's dad is a senior captain at United flying the 777, working 2 weeks a month and making fat cash and he doesn't have a college degree. But he also started with them as a Flight Engineer in the 80's and slowly moved from flying sideways, to flying right seat, then to left seat. Those days are so far gone you can't even see then in the rear view mirror anymore.

A lot of applicants at legacy airlines have a Masters and all the other flight quals and aren't getting called. I'd say a 4 year degree is the minimum needed to make this a true career.

Why limit yourself to the few jobs in this business that do not require a degree? The aviation business is competitive enough and the good jobs so few that I really don't understand why an entrant would not make getting their undergraduate degree a top priority. Furthermore, having a degree can only serve to open more doors in life than it closes. Always a good thing.

Yes, I absolutely know that my degree and where it came from have helped me in this business. It was discussed at two major airline interviews. When I showed up the first day of class at Southernjets we were handed a list that included the names of each pilot in our class. It included three pieces of information for each: Name, hometown, and college/university. Understanding how to communicate and learning the ability to think critically are core strengths of any pilot. Refining those abilities is largely the basis of higher education.

Finally, let's not ignore the tremendous networking opportunities that colleges and universities provide. One of my references at Southernjets was a pilot that I got to know through my school's alumni association. The common name on the diploma was the only reason that we were introduced and undoubtedly bought me enough credibility for the initial conversation. We corresponded through email for several years, became friends, and he later graciously offered to write a letter for me. Beyond that he is a check airman and was a valuable source of information when I was new to the company. Alumni associations can prove to be another tool that you can use along the way to network. More of those opportunities can only serve to help you and open more doors.

Back