Colgan showing the Q400

I'd defend my dad for shagging my mom. But if he was a scab, I would think the same of him or any other person that crossed a line, an idiotic, self absorbed piece of scum.

There be no educating a scab.

Are you serious?! You aren't even an airline pilot!!! WTF?! What reasoning do you have for being an ***?

I agree Colgan would benefit from a Union however I hope its NEVER ALPA at this point. ALPA= chest-thumping pricks

THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION!!! GO TEAMSTERS!!!!!

Aviator - Im sorry you have to see this side of some of the Colgan pilots. Im embarrassed. Do yourself a favor and dont sign on here again.... Im sure not.

It's interesting how somebody who knows nothing about something can assume they know so much and take something out of context to suit their own ideals.

Aviator - Im sorry you have to see this side of some of the Colgan pilots. Im embarrassed. Do yourself a favor and dont sign on here again.... Im sure not.

You all know what's coming next...

[YT]1uVA7iEtPss[/YT]

Hey anytime they want to pay me $90 to drive the 1.5 hrs to BHB, count me in!

Hmmm... 3 hours total... Probably $35 dollars worth of gas.. 3 hours worth of your time - $20x3 = $60.. 3 hours of your time you are not getting paid.. Sooo.. $60+$35=$95.. They hand you $90 bucks... Wow.. You paid them to work for them!

Heck of a deal, if I do say so myself!!

I dont know about you but I got to where I am today by myself... looking out for #1 - ME.

(Lets pretend I have a really thick Australian accent and we've been looking at very rare breeds of animals... )

What we have here is the extremely sneaky pupae stage Sierra Charlie Alpha Bravo, folks have been tryin' to extinct this animal for YEARS! They are a tough buggah! Much like the cockroaches..

Dont know about everyone else but I came here to get hours, upgrade and move on - the $ will come!

Hehehe.. That's the first time I've ever heard that.. :) Let me know how it works out for you...

Hmmm...

(Lets pretend I have a really thick Australian accent and we've been looking at very rare breeds of animals... )

What we have here is the extremely sneaky pupae stage Sierra Charlie Alpha Bravo, folks have been tryin' to extinct this animal for YEARS! They are a tough buggah! Much like the cockroaches..

lol, reminds me of that stuff on the net, bumhunters before it got pulled, lmfao

Hmmm... 3 hours total... Probably $35 dollars worth of gas.. 3 hours worth of your time - $20x3 = $60.. 3 hours of your time you are not getting paid.. Sooo.. $60+$35=$95.. They hand you $90 bucks... Wow.. You paid them to work for them!

Hehehe.. That's the first time I've ever heard that.. :) Let me know how it works out for you...

While we shouldn't have to drive anyways...

They only pay us half to drive! Get it right!

You have to find ways to make money here at CJC. By my magic, I've squeezed out 121 hours of pay credit for February.

$21/hr x 121 hrs= $2500 before taxes. Basically industry standard on the Saab....but I only get 12 days off.

On a side note- this thread is out of control.

Are you serious?! You aren't even an airline pilot!!! WTF?! What reasoning do you have for being an ***?

I agree Colgan would benefit from a Union however I hope its NEVER ALPA at this point. ALPA= chest-thumping pricks

Good. Please don't sign in here again. You only make yourself look more and more foolish with every post.

Ha ha! Yeah! Havent been on here in a while and just thought Id raise some hell! lol

HA HA HA!!! It worked!!!! I got a reaction!!! :nana2: Ahhhhh! Relax! Dont get your undies in a bunch! For the most part - Those that work for Colgan are proud to do so and those that work for XJT are also proud to do so. They certainly are succeeding at making it "us against them" and I find that sad. Cant we all just get along?!:rolleyes: But really, those of us that fly for a regional airline - COME ON, its just that... a REGIONAL AIRLINE! What did we really expect?!?

This has been 'deep thoughts' by Loflyn! :bandit:

I've just finished reading this entire thread. And clearly from a objective POV, you kinda set the more aggressive tone of this post with your open flame of a post.

You're not fully to blame here, but you must share some of it.

Well, it is an entertainment to read this thread. :D

Loflyn, they are bunch good guys and gals, if you ever meet them in person. However, I do suggest you read flying the line Volume I and II. :), if you really want to know a little about ALPA(I am also learning about union). Since you work for Colgan, you might want to talk to Seggy. I believe he can explain things better as your fellow Colgan pilot.

Well Loflyn is getting most of her marching orders from a great man over at Colgan whom I have deep respect for, even if he is still sporting the 80's mustache. God knows I used to agree with the guy simply because I had so much respect for him. Regardless of how good a guy he is to fly with, he is wrong about unions. (Although he did magically go Teamsters a couple months into the drive when he realized his number 4 seniority is gonna get stapled to the bottom of a 1,400 pilot group)

Well Loflyn is getting most of her marching orders from a great man over at Colgan whom I have deep respect for, even if he is still sporting the 80's mustache. God knows I used to agree with the guy simply because I had so much respect for him. Regardless of how good a guy he is to fly with, he is wrong about unions. (Although he did magically go Teamsters a couple months into the drive when he realized his number 4 seniority is gonna get stapled to the bottom of a 1,400 pilot group)

I know who it is! I know who it is! :D I have to say he is a great guy. Always nice to us here at MIF.

Loflyn is quite capable of forming opinions without marching orders. Nobody's opinion about unions is wrong. Just because it doesn't coincide with yours, doesn't mean yuor choice is better.

OTP - isn't you dads equipment sen "class of 83" at CAL?

As i see it, Aviation is supposed to be a "brotherhood" but all i see online is pubecent King of the Hill. Throw everybody else under the bus to get mine.

Seggy. If you want this drive to pass, you and the rest of the OC thats' still at Colgan gotta get the pilots together, stop the bickering, and get them to stand up for eachother. While i may not agree with another pilot at my company, if he comes under atack, i've got his back. Why would a group unite for a union when they won't even do it for eachother.

Dexter - I think you may have smoked a few to many already... Have fun in the slaab... ANNNNNNNNdddd Portland

I don't think Loflyn will be back.

Everybody wants to get theirs in this business, but her attitude is blatantly "spoon feed it to me or I'll throw a fit."

Walk in, start a firefight, get outgunned, then CRY.. and leave... nice way to behave.

The rest of us might be "chest thumping pricks" but at least we have the guts to stand by what we say, right or wrong.

I don't think Loflyn will be back.

Everybody wants to get theirs in this business, but her attitude is blatantly "spoon feed it to me or I'll throw a fit."

Walk in, start a firefight, get outgunned, then CRY.. and leave... nice way to behave.

The rest of us might be "chest thumping pricks" but at least we have the guts to stand by what we say, right or wrong.

I think i read into a little bit of sarcasm at first, but it ended with very real concers for a line pilot. When your only clearing 18k a year, loosing money to an organization is hard to swallow. Pinnacle is organized, and their FO'S make less than Colgans. Even new hires sitting reserve there are not having the best run of it. What will ALPA do for HER? all i've seen is personal atacks from that point on, from the ALPA crowd. How bout you do us a favor and don't try to "convince" anybody else. I've never seen loflyn ask for anything on a spoon.

Apla is what the pilots make of it, and lots of what i have seen from the "PRO" alpa pilots here is not encouraging. You've got people who are really committed, Seggy, and then others who are just "on" the band wagon. Those who want to stick it to the company are not the right people for the job. A Union is not something you join or form to stick it to the company. The Union Is supposed to give us the strength to bagain collectively to find the best situation for US, the pilots and the Company. Nobody wins if you shut down the people providing you with a job, then your no better off.

TRAM. WTF have you ever done that gave you the "High and Mighty" power to label somebody a scab? that's not even close to funny in it's implications. Get over your self entitlement, and grow up. Post a picture of you walking a line, and then you can call somebody a scab. Let me guess, you prob. don't even participate in elections and votes. Who did you pic in a primary? The only thing loflyn learns from an Alpa pusher like you, is that they're pricks.

Are you really supprised the Union drive failed? I'm not. The only argument from the ALPA side was, "the company will throw you under the bus, the company will scew you over, Alpa fell into the fight of, US v. Them. The thing missing was a clear plan of action. A well document plan and layout for a Strategy to make it better. I think 70% of the pilots at Colgan didn't even know how the voting process works. Lunch meeting are great, but they don't inform. I would be more than happy to spend time working on a legit, rational and convincing presentation to use next time around.

How about somebody explains RIGS? or a general grievience process if you get asked to do something out of contract? ALPA got RIGS, and i'd love it if we had some. I'd also like to have recourse when dispatch trys to tell me that 91 after 16 hours duty is legal. I'd like to have a say in what goes on.

What will ALPA do for HER?

Who cares what ALPA does for her. That's not what it's about. It's what her being ALPA does for others.

My company is currently gearing up for contract negotiations to start and the MEC is working VERY hard on trying to brand and package a message that will unite our pilot group for the huge mess that's about to get started here. Here's what we've realized.

The younger/newer pilots who have been hired don't understand the word "profession". They *might* understand "professional" but most of them have no clue that them being a member of a pilot group, and even more so a profession of pilots, is much more important then their individual job. It's a very hard sell to tell one of these guys that they maybe should take a financial hit or upward mobility hit because it is better for the profession as a whole. Sure, we could be flying big exciting 90 seat jets RIGHT NOW, but were not, because it is what was best for the profession. If we'd got those airplanes it would have meant more upgrades, more (and longer) routes, and probably more growth down the road. It would also have meant that we took another step backwards as far as pay goes.

A guy I have a lot of respect for wrote an excellent piece on why we should take the airplanes for the rate they were offering to secure the flying and then worry about getting the pay up later. He wrote intelligently and used rational arguments. But thank god, he didn't convince enough people to vote yes, and we told them company to shove it by over 80%. And we didn't do that because it was what was better for us. Hell, we all wanted growth. We all wanted to go fly to new places. But it wasn't worth it for the industry as a whole because if WE took the planes at that rate, you can be damn sure that the next company that was starting 900 operations was going to use our rate as a base line.

(A quick side note... the single fleet rate was proposed to us mostly because of Skywest's rate. Our 70 seat pay, at least on the captain side, was already better then the "override" that they had so the company thought that because they had a single rate for a fleet type and we were already above it, we should be thankful to get new airplanes. Thanks guys...)

Anyhow, her (and Colgan) being ALPA ensure a common bargaining strategy that will make sure that the Q flying doesn't go for a terrible rate (too late for that now) so that when Horizon (and maybe PDT) work on rates for the airplane in their next contracts, there is a higher place to start from. Her being ALPA limits the amount of possibility of her carrier being used to whipsaw another carrier for lower rates to capture flying. Her being ALPA increases the leverage other carriers have over their management by the shear number of pilots who are part of the group.

The question is of course, of all those things, does her 2% actually directly benefit her? Nope. And that is the problem my MEC has run into. It is a generalization, but many of the new hires today are part of the ME generation and if it doesn't directly benefit them, they don't give a damn. They are working to further their goals, and their goals only. If the place burns down after they leave, oh well. Not everybody is like this, but there are a much larger then in the past number that are. And for those people, all you can do is say (and try not to sound biblical doing so), "you are doing this for those that come after you, because those that came before you did it for you." Most of them role their eyes and laugh and say "screw the guys coming after me. They aren't going to help me any so why should I help them?" And that is the question that ALPA now has to work through.

As far as what can ALPA do for *ME*? Well, your 2% buys you some awesome aeromedical and legal protection. It buys you some contract protections. It also buys you a rather useless magazine. People need to decide if their 2% is worth that. For me, it has nothing to do with what it does for me. I could do with out the magazine. I could do with out the free legal and medical (although it's damn nice to have). I probably couldn't do with out the contract protections. And I sure as hell couldn't do with out working together as part of a larger group to further everybody's careers.

1. Loflyn is quite capable of forming opinions without marching orders. Nobody's opinion about unions is wrong. Just because it doesn't coincide with yours, doesn't mean yuor choice is better.

2. Dexter - I think you may have smoked a few to many already... Have fun in the slaab... ANNNNNNNNdddd Portland

1. Thanks for the refresher on peoples opinions. I'm glad you made it out of grade school and care share with the thread what you've learned. Opinions can be wrong. Very rarely are both people right. In particular argument it would take quite a feat to convince me, or anyone else here, that both sides of this argument could be right if they are neither wrong. In any case, i don't care. I left to go fly for a union carrier because I couldn't stand the way folks are treated at Colgan.

2. Yes, I am Poindexter. Also, "Jimmy Nuetron", "Ruppert", "little Ruppert", "that #######". I have many nicknames. I will enjoy flying the Slaab. Afterall i am getting paid more an hour (i will make more here than if i'd stayed at Colgan AND taken and immediate upgrade in the Saab), with a higher per diem, with better taken care of aircraft, and with 25 street captains underneath me at my base. Also 100-120 guys already leaving for the Northwest Flowthrough. Although, all things being equal, i would'a preferred to stay on the Beech. Although, getting paid better is nice too. Oh, and treated better. Oh, and having chief pilots that are your friends. Oh, and did i mention the pay?

Edit: Forgot one- "that gun-nut guy?"

BodDDuck, thank you. Those are the types of posts we need, not the people bashing. With the general understanding, that some people will always be anti union, or anti apla. As soon as it falls to name calling and personal atacks, the credibility of the post ends. Regardless of the Generation, each group of people has to be approached in a diffrent, coordinated maner. Recruiting the ways of the Hoffa days won't work now. People don't have the loyalty required for that. It is going to take more than "fight the man".

I'll be the first to admit i don't know "much" about unions. I don't put tons of effort into figuring it out. I'd love to help set one up... but t i just don't have the time and resourses. I guess that makes me, part of the Me generation.

What will Alpa do for her? By strengthing the pilot group and position it will help to create a strong and secure workplace in the future.

gun nut, relaxe just pokin at ya... Glad it's working out for you over there.

Back