Colgan Rumor/News?

This is all great news here, and a relief for me personally. On a slightly seperate note, does anybody know if they are upgrading Saab FO's directly to Q CA's?

I've got over a year of seniority, 1000 hours in type, and I'm still 80 numbers from a SAAB upgrade. There are 100 SAAB FO's below me too. And 100 Q-400 FO's below that.

Even though I still cannot upgrade until Dec 08, I think it's more like Summer 09 and thats just for me. We'll see though.

Hopefully Greaper07 will finally get his chance.

I'm guessing a 2-3 year upgrade for the Q. 2 years for the Saab. Of course things could always change overnight.

This is a good day at Colgan. I am willing to bet that if a guy came in with 121 experience and a good amount of flight time, that person could expect to be a cpt in a Q within a year and a saab within 6 months.

It's a cheery thought for many, but I wouldn't bank on it.

When I got hired at CJC, it was 12 months to upgrade in the BE-1900D.

When that time came, the 1900 was on the way out. All low-time 1900 FOs were being funneled into the Q400. At the time the Q400 minimum quals for upgrade included 3000 TT if I remember correctly.

That's a good 2+ years at the low low cost to the company of FO pay.

CJC (and most other companies, as well) bank on people gambling about fast upgrade times. Don't play that game- especially when you have ZERO input about bid preference for airframes or upgrades.

If CJC pilots succeed in getting ALPA on property this go-round, that may well change.. but until then... you're taking a mighty big gamble thinking the company will do ANYTHING but what's cheaper and more convenient for them.

I see us running an operation out of IAD like ACA did with their Jetstreams and RJs on runs out of there. Except with Slaabs.

This is all great news here, and a relief for me personally. On a slightly seperate note, does anybody know if they are upgrading Saab FO's directly to Q CA's?

Not yet.

Wonder if this is a little bait in switch in an effort to keep a union off of the property.

Good luck

I doubt it. In order to vote in an election you need to be line qualified. If they start class September 19th, they won't reach the line by November. I am hoping the vote is over by then and we are ALPA.

Not really focused on the new members ability to vote in an representation vote.

Rather,

"Look guys, no furloughs. . .see - we don't need a union."

The way Colgan is losing money, it would be an expensive game to play.

They would have given us pay raises a few months ago, given us more days off, made changes in scheduling if they wanted to stop a union drive.

The way Colgan is losing money, it would be an expensive game to play.

They would have given us pay raises a few months ago, given us more days off, made changes in scheduling if they wanted to stop a union drive.

Extension pay. Extra pay for picking up open time. Wouldn't have screwed the schedules at Dulles that caused a huge reaction from the Captains.

I can think of a ton of things they could have done to appease the masses. Not furloughing only makes the lower 40 of us a little bit happier.

I can think of a ton of things they could have done to appease the masses. Not furloughing only makes the lower 40 of us a little bit happier.

Well with the rumored 12-15 airframes leaving it would have been a lot more than 40 pilots they were in emergency mode for a while there.

Well with the rumored 12-15 airframes leaving it would have been a lot more than 40 pilots they were in emergency mode for a while there.

Why does this number keep growing? First it was 4-7 during the conference call. Then it was 10 in the quarterly report. Now your saying 12 - 15.

Stopped by the hanger after work for some business. I talked to the HR folks again to see how things are going. They are absolutely inundated with resumes.

Between the two pilot recruiters, they have just over 500 resumes. She also mentioned that they have not even opened their airlineapps account as they just havent had time. Because of this the 1000/100 mins are firm as can be, they have no need to dip below it.

Everyone interviewed and hired on the 8th will be in the September 22 class. They are also running interviews on the 19th and 26th. On the way home I thought... wait, why are they interviewing after the class is filled? I should have asked but didnt think of it. Possibly more classes or maybe starting an official pool in case this type of thing happens again.

Good luck to all applying!

Ask about upgrades again in 2 months.

This job and company will always be consistently changing. Don't expect current status quo to be so tomorrow.

I hate the feast or famine feel of the job, but that's how it goes.

All i would really say, is hope for the best, expect the worst, and NEVER make a rash decision

you are not correct. just watch. i have seen this cycle twice already. upgrades are one more contract away from being 12months.

Ill buy you a beer if you right, because that would be great.

I personally dont see the upgrades going faster until the new set of Qs arrive. We arent adding any planes, and attrition is low.

I could see them maybe beginning to upgrade 2 or 3 a month starting soon.

Back