Colgan Q loses wheel on landing...

Actual story behind the 'excellent timing' by the videographer was...as I heard it.....the videographer noticed the wheel assembly putting out a considerable amount of smoke during takeoff. Then, he mentioned it to the FA, who proceeded to do nothing about it.....no mention to the flight deck crew. So, figuring there might be an actual 'problem' w/ the wheel....he began recording for the landing/ touchdown. The person was rewarded w/ a video clip that appears to be very unique timing.

Score one for the pax!

Score NONE for the FA in question. :(

FA = FIRED

I hope anyway.

If the FA in question is guilty as charged, I'd say the root of the problem is more likely management than FA. Training should stress operational/technical communication between cabin and cockpit (it's not a sterile cockpit issue).

In the absence of that, the captain should cover it in briefing to let the FAs know that their (or pax) concerns of this sort are not considered trivial. It's foolish to do otherwise. And if captains routinely treat FAs as if the matters they bring to the captain's attention are silly/unimportant, the FAs will just stop bring them up. Why cut off a source of important information ?

In my experience, most but not all things of this sort turned out to be non events. But, there's always that ONE lurking out there waiting to catch you napping.

Ignore this stuff at your own risk.

Not to defend the company or its training policies, BUT, I went through the same Colgan training the FA in question did. Common sense notwithstanding, we were told numerous times that anytime ANYTHING seemed unusual to either us or a pax, we were to take it seriously AND notify the CA. Of course there were times pax asked questions I was able to answer as to the normal sights and sounds of the Q, but if there was ever a doubt in my mind, I always made that call to the cockpit. To NOT do so would be utter stupidity on my part.

From the "Death Airline" article...

"Commuter carrier Colgan Air is quickly becoming the airline from hell."

Geebus.

Time to do something to change the state of our industry, folks.

remember.3407@gmail.com

It seems that the new NY Representative, Kirstin Gillibrand (sorry, I don't have the article in front of me for the correct spelling) is taking these matters very seriously. :rawk:

How much longer can the media rip apart Colgan before the FAA shuts the airline down?

The reason I ask, is because I've seen quite a few comments in response to the media asking why Colgan is still flying, usually referencing Valuejet and how the Feds shut them down too.

I hope that doesn't happen for you guys, but Colgan is under the microscope and I have a feeling its not good. I have my own opinions on Colgan MX and management that I will keep to myself. But there's a reason I wanted out of that place. I hope for the best that these problems can and will be solved before something more serious happens or people start losing their jobs.

Not to defend the company or its training policies, BUT, I went through the same Colgan training the FA in question did. Common sense notwithstanding, we were told numerous times that anytime ANYTHING seemed unusual to either us or a pax, we were to take it seriously AND notify the CA.

Well, what can anyone say. Some people are slow learners; some people are slow teachers. Try to avoid putting the two together. :laff:

If that's the FA's only misstep, termination seems a bit harsh. One steeerike and yer out !!

Well, what can anyone say. Some people are slow learners; some people are slow teachers. Try to avoid putting the two together. :laff:

If that's the FA's only misstep, termination seems a bit harsh. One steeerike and yer out !!

At the very least, she/he will go to HEF for some re-training. I hope for her/his sake it IS their first strike. I'll withhold judgement and my opinions as to that aspect.

How much longer can the media rip apart Colgan before the FAA shuts the airline down?

The reason I ask, is because I've seen quite a few comments in response to the media asking why Colgan is still flying, usually referencing Valuejet and how the Feds shut them down too.

I hope that doesn't happen for you guys, but Colgan is under the microscope and I have a feeling its not good. I have my own opinions on Colgan MX and management that I will keep to myself. But there's a reason I wanted out of that place. I hope for the best that these problems can and will be solved before something more serious happens or people start losing their jobs.

I think you can thank Bombardier for making gear that could withstand one wheel missing. Had that landing resulted in twisted metal with a plane off the runway and/or fire I think the outcry would be too huge to allow the airline to continue to operate. The politicians would throw their weight onto the FAA to do something. Just my .02

I think you can thank Bombardier for making gear that could withstand one wheel missing. Had that landing resulted in twisted metal with a plane off the runway and/or fire I think the outcry would be too huge to allow the airline to continue to operate. The politicians would throw their weight onto the FAA to do something. Just my .02

Bombardier is so stupid. They took De Haviland's great design and when stretching it out to make the 400 they were like 'Why the hell do we need these huge heavy duty landing gear on the 400? Lets redesign them and make it a little cheaper.' All the other Dashes are designed to land in the bush/dirt/soft fields. So they replaced the landing gear in the 400 and have probably paid more in liability and lost sales (Scandanavian) than they could have saved 10x over.

ValueJet is still around...ever see an AirTran plane?

What the public doesn't know.......;)

Colgan has not to fear the FAA. Its the public. The politicians. The lobbyists. If the public gets too vocal about Colgan's safety - well...I won't speculate.

They won't shut Colgan down. They may gut out the training department and many good women and men might be thrown under the bus.

I know this does not mean a single thing, BUT the faa jumpseater I had ride along yesterday said he thought Colgan was the safest airline right now! I know that means only as much as the next person but it was an interesting comment.

And just statistically. How many back to back crashes occured on the same airline?

Aeroflot count?

Edit: now that I think of it, didn't usair have two within a year back in the early 90's, one of which was the rudder hardover.

Edit of edit: Yep, wiki says July 2 and September 8th of 1994, the other was a DC-9 in CLT from windshear.

If they shut Colgan down I would bet that the only thing we would notice is our new Pinnacle ID. Otherwise it would be business as usual.

There are have been far worse crashes, even multiple during the same year for some carriers that didn't result in the shut down of the airline.

Don't let the 24/7/365 news hype let you think otherwise.

Prediction? In two more months, you can scream "Colgan 3407!" in a crowded theater and everyone will wonder what the hell a Colgate 3119 is.

I was just thinking it's nice that they have duals on it so if you have a failure on one, you'll be just fine.

I guess I'm easily appeased.

Huh....the regs work in our favor....

Back