Colgan Q loses wheel on landing...

Or maybe the wheel was just fatigued.
A&P Error.

If the wheel was fatigued, it should have been professional and CALLED in sick on its own. With appropriate staffing, there should be no doubt it could have been replaced by a reserve wheel to keep the flight on time.

If the wheel was fatigued, it should have been professional and CALLED in sick on its own. With appropriate staffing, there should be no doubt it could have been replaced by a reserve wheel to keep the flight on time.

And if said wheel called in fatigued or sick, then a "fact finding" meeting would be set up with the base manager and the wheel issued a miss trip and letter of warning.

I was sooo expecting that video to be one of those "gotcha!" ones, where a shrieking banshee pops up while you're intently focusing on the wheel!

Wow!. It seems that statistically, the chances of someone happening to film that are unbelievably small.

and whoever was video taping it didn't flip out when they saw the tire come off.

Actual story behind the 'excellent timing' by the videographer was...as I heard it.....the videographer noticed the wheel assembly putting out a considerable amount of smoke during takeoff. Then, he mentioned it to the FA, who proceeded to do nothing about it.....no mention to the flight deck crew. So, figuring there might be an actual 'problem' w/ the wheel....he began recording for the landing/ touchdown. The person was rewarded w/ a video clip that appears to be very unique timing.

Score one for the pax!

Score NONE for the FA in question. :(

Actual story behind the 'excellent timing' by the videographer was...as I heard it.....the videographer noticed the wheel assembly putting out a considerable amount of smoke during takeoff. Then, he mentioned it to the FA, who proceeded to do nothing about it.....no mention to the flight deck crew. So, figuring there might be an actual 'problem' w/ the wheel....he began recording for the landing/ touchdown. The person was rewarded w/ a video clip that appears to be very unique timing.

Score one for the pax!

And for reasons JUST LIKE THAT, I always passed along pax "observations" to the pilots. Even when it was something as stupid as, "Do they know that engine's not running?" (as we were single-engine-taxiing in an ATR). Any concerns about noises, anything, I passed along, just in case.

(And yes, I did explain to the pax who asked about the "engine not running" what a single-engine-taxi was and that the engine would start before we took off. But if it didn't to be sure to ring the call button....)

Looks like a mech forgot a step or two on the wheel assy installation!:banghead: For the wheel assy to come off like it did, the nut was not cotterpinned and had to have been loose. In the video you see the wheel assy come off first then all the bearings and finally the brake assy. The axle looks in pretty good shape.

Was that thing even fastened to the axle? Someone has some explaining to do.
I was watching the CNN version and they managed to mix in footage of the SAS Q gear collapse video from a few years ago along with this new video then the smoldering wreckage of 3407. Way to go CNN. :banghead:

the plane is now sitting in alb with jacks propped perfectly below it. another break we just cannot seem to get right now. i guess only time will tell.

Score one for the pax!

I hope she/he is dealt with HARSHLY. :mad:

I hope she/he is dealt with HARSHLY. :mad:

If the FA in question is guilty as charged, I'd say the root of the problem is more likely management than FA. Training should stress operational/technical communication between cabin and cockpit (it's not a sterile cockpit issue).

In the absence of that, the captain should cover it in briefing to let the FAs know that their (or pax) concerns of this sort are not considered trivial. It's foolish to do otherwise. And if captains routinely treat FAs as if the matters they bring to the captain's attention are silly/unimportant, the FAs will just stop bring them up. Why cut off a source of important information ?

In my experience, most but not all things of this sort turned out to be non events. But, there's always that ONE lurking out there waiting to catch you napping.

Ignore this stuff at your own risk.

Back