Colgan: Hring for Sept 19th class

I was just getting at the 4 miles class C/D deal. As for the marker I understand there is no marker on a visual but used the expression since it is typically around 4 or so miles from the threshhold. I can always count on JC to over analyze a post. That's why I responded in the first place, everyone likes to prove everyone wrong typically out of boredom.

Hopefully ya'll can help me out a bit. I'm in the Oct class and am trying to figure out where to request for a base. I live in Richmond, Va right now and am hoping to be here as much as possible. So my options for a base are either IAD or CHO, preferably CHO. Can someone tell me what the reserve times are like for each base? Is CHO very senior? Where would you current colgan pilots suggest?

Thanks guy!

Reality of the matter is you're going to wind up where they need people for the first few months. After that, you should be able to hold wherever you'd like. CHO is fairly senior overall.....my guess would be you'll wind up in IAD...which, isn't too far out from CHO or RIC.

Good luck in class.

Hopefully ya'll can help me out a bit. I'm in the Oct class and am trying to figure out where to request for a base. I live in Richmond, Va right now and am hoping to be here as much as possible. So my options for a base are either IAD or CHO, preferably CHO. Can someone tell me what the reserve times are like for each base? Is CHO very senior? Where would you current colgan pilots suggest?

Thanks guy!

I'm assuming that at some point during ground school they will probably have us place our bids. I'm sure our bids will not mean jack anyway; they will put us where they need us. The general consensus I have been hearing is that most new jacks may end up in IAD but don't be suprised if we end up in one of those back country bases. I'm expecting the worse possible crappy truck stop of a base and hoping for the best. All we can do is speculate.

Right now I'm just hoping my new roommate does not snore. :D

Haha I hear you on the snoring. I'm bringing earplugs just in case! I'm excited to get started tho. I've been sitting around not doing anything for too long.

I was just getting at the 4 miles class C/D deal. As for the marker I understand there is no marker on a visual but used the expression since it is typically around 4 or so miles from the threshhold. I can always count on JC to over analyze a post. That's why I responded in the first place, everyone likes to prove everyone wrong typically out of boredom.

No, not bored just thought I'd have a little fun.:D (What you said above is what I originally thought you meant.)

Im picking up what your down.

SPEAKING of the harbor visual...just flew it 2 and a half hours ago. It got ruined slightly by a delta connection ERJ (ASA maybe) because I was following them and they somehow ended up 15 miles out over the atlantic at 3000 feet so I had to widen it up and slow down to keep spacing. Oh well, there is always next Saturday.

I interviewed on Sept 19 and got the offer for Oct 7 class date. A few day later I got an offer to be a Part 91 Lear 35 FO and stay in Florida making over twice what I would have made at Colgan first year so I could not pass it up.

For the interview I stayed at the Doubletree Metropolitan in Manhattan for free. Its amazing what Hilton points at a bizjet job can do for you. I used the SuperShuttle to go between LGA and Manhattan and it was $15 each way. Saved about $100 vs the LGA hotels.

hernandezcfi- I think I did my sim ride and drug test with you. Good luck in class man- it was good to meet you.

With Virginia taxes, no dependants, I pull in $659 with every paycheck. Minus the $50 for uniform and its $609 a paycheck.

Sometimes the 2nd paycheck in the month is a bit bigger with per diem and going over 75 hours, but not normally much more than $800.

rob:Ouch. How can I make more than you when your hourly is $2 more than mine and your per diem is also higher?

Better work rules? I dont know.

For one it depends on where you are based. If your at Dulles, or Houston then you overnight, so you get per diem. If your at an outstation you NEVER overnight, so per diem never normally comes into play. Im out of Dulles but last month I had mainly day trips, so no per diem. Plus Colgan has been building lines that are way under guarantee, so no real chance to go over guarantee. We have no work rules, so we are paid only when we fly. No duty/trip/whatever rigs.

I just want people to realize what they are getting themselves into.

Your per diem is less than $1.40??? I thought we had it bad.

Per diem at Mesa is $1.28. I rarely go over guarantee either these days but I do spend lots of nights in Wyoming, so I guess it must be the per diem.

A couple of bids ago I blocked 22 hours flight time and like 100 hours of credit though, that was pretty sweet and horrible at the same time.

Per diem at Mesa is $1.28. I rarely go over guarantee either these days but I do spend lots of nights in Wyoming, so I guess it must be the per diem.

A couple of bids ago I blocked 22 hours flight time and like 100 hours of credit though, that was pretty sweet and horrible at the same time.

Part of our problem (which will hopefully be fixed when we get representation) is that we have these awful sit periods. There used to be a time where the HPN crew would fly into IAD in the morning, and have something like a 6 hours sit in Dulles and then fly back home. During that sit you werent paid anything. I had heard a story about a HPN crew deciding to take this time to go to the mall near Dulles to watch a movie. Dispatch tried calling them and an hour prior to departure they showed back up and called dispatch and said "whats up?" Dispatch wanted to know why they didnt pick up their phone, they where going to have them do something in that break time. The HPN crew simply said "We arent being paid, we arent on reserve, we dont have to pick up the phone." Now if they have over a 4 hour sit they will put in hot reserve. But we still have 2 to 3 hour sits in between flights and we dont get paid and its insane!

I detest ready (hot) reserve. Our contract says we can only be put in 8, 10, or a 12 hour increments per day. The Crew Stalkers don't know anything about the contract, in fact knowing about the contract probably makes it harder for them to do their jobs, so I get gleeful whenever I can decline an attempted ready reserve assignment. Thats how I got all my credit by the way in that story, I was ready reserve for almost the entire bid. Was awful.

Back