Club Furlough

Sounds like XJT dispatchers may be joining the club soon too. Brutal brutal year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Literally the entire company unless something changes. XJT: "Uncle Sam?? Hello?"
IMG_20200723_152500.jpg

As much as I truly hope something like this passes congress, as I know it will help a lot of people. How long do we realistically believe we can delay the inevitable? The passengers won't be back on March 31st either.

Numerous airline employees at all airlines have taken LOAs of varying lengths and retirement packages. Airlines like Southwest, Alaska, and Delta (excluding DL pilots and dispatch) have largely avoided layoffs for most if not all their workgroups for the rest of the year through LOAs, hour cuts, and other measures. All major and LCCs have enough cash to survive for at least another year. Many non union workers at AA have already been laid off. This would essentially be a bailout for union groups only at maybe 2 or 3 of the airlines. The airlines that dont need the bailout money would be forced to take it or be at a competitive disadvantage to those that did.

If this bailout passes, it should come with a condition that specifies re-hiring the non union workers who took layoffs packages. They took those packages before a second bailout was even being discussed or a possibility.

That's a whole lotta money for not a whole lotta jobs when you do the math. Last time it was to save the entire airline industry. Just saying.

Not sure how an extension could be justified after so many airlines cut pay with some even laying off employees after taking the money.

I was curious about this myself. American has already shown 30% of management and support staff the door. Would they have to change their severance pay to stay compliant, or would more of what Republic and Gate Gourmet did be ok?

Not sure how an extension could be justified after so many airlines cut pay with some even laying off employees after taking the money.
Exactly. It's not like any amount of bailout money is going to stop the execs from using this as an opportunity to downsize. They would have to practically nationalize the industry to save people's jobs or get them recalled. The situation is so much worse than any of us were being told a few months ago.

Exactly. It's not like any amount of bailout money is going to stop the execs from using this as an opportunity to downsize. They would have to practically nationalize the industry to save people's jobs or get them recalled. The situation is so much worse than any of us were being told a few months ago.
Nobody could have foreseen this level of chaos, and nobody knows when it will rebound, if it even does.

Nobody could have foreseen this level of chaos, and nobody knows when it will rebound, if it even does.

Im pretty worried at this point about it never rebounding. It sounded crazy a few months ago but I think the fundamentals of society have changed forever. There is now a push for wearing goggles in public and Fauci recently suggested that face masks and goggles should be worn to protect against the seasonal flu as well. Fear and panic over infectious diseases of any kind are most likely the new normal for human beings which is exactly what I was afraid of.

Im pretty worried at this point about it never rebounding. It sounded crazy a few months ago but I think the fundamentals of society have changed forever. There is now a push for wearing goggles in public and Fauci recently suggested that face masks and goggles should be worn to protect against the seasonal flu as well. Fear and panic over infectious diseases of any kind are most likely the new normal for human beings which is exactly what I was afraid of.
Once upon a time there was another pandemic in this country. People wore masks then as well. This too shall pass. History repeats itself again and again and again....

There wasn’t social media and 24/7 tabloid style media fueling panic back then. I think that is going to be the difference this time around.
History wins every time. If the black death didn't wipe out western civilization then neither will corona. Provided we all do our part.

Back