Clearance Confusion

I ran the "no void time" question past a controller group. Here's what I got out of it from it. Emphasis and snips are mine. And, sorry,but I cant find a way to indent here

Most of the controllers took the position that they would never issue a clearance from a nontowered field without a void time instruction. But a few indicated they sometimes do so. As mentioned a few times here, It is going to be in an area without much in the way of potentially conflicting traffic. At least one of them said, there has to either be a release time or a void time but, as we've already seen, the language of the Section 4-3-4 of the .65 does not make either mandatory (and BTW, there is similar "when necessary"language in the IPH and AIM):

==============================
4-3-4. DEPARTURE RESTRICTIONS, CLEARANCE VOID TIMES, HOLD FOR RELEASE, AND RELEASE TIMES
Assign departure restrictions, clearance void times, hold for release, or release times when necessary to separate departures from other traffic or to restrict or regulate the departure flow.
[snip]
c. Release Times.
1. Release times must be issued to pilots when necessary.

So I guess controllers have the discretion to decide it's not "necessary." That's going to be in the situations already mentioned - a remote area with very little in the way of potentially conflicting traffic or in the middle of the night. Since a clearance typically specifies a low initial attitude with an expected time for higher, enroute traffic should not be an issue. So a lack of other departures or arrivals being a factor makes sense too.

But there still has to be a window. The controller who issues them fairly regularly said it was 30 minutes and pointed me to paragraph 10-4-1 of the .65. That paragraph deals with ATC's obligation to restrict traffic. Again it does not explicitly create a "default window." But it does suggest the existence of one, as well as adding to the idea that void or release times times are not required:

10−4−1. TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS IFR traffic which could be affected by an overdue or unreported aircraft must be restricted or suspended unless radar separation is used. The facility responsible must restrict or suspend IFR traffic for a period of 30 minutes following the applicable time listed in subparas a through e:
a. The time at which approach clearance was delivered to the pilot.
b. The EFC time delivered to the pilot.
c. The arrival time over the NAVAID serving the destination airport.
d. The current estimate, either the control facility’s or the pilot’s, whichever is later, at:
1. The appropriate en route NAVAID or fix, and
2. The NAVAID serving the destination airport.

e. The release time and, if issued, the clearance void time.

That takes care of my pilot having a meal and a snack and leaving an hour later.

We have a combination of controller discretion and the amount of time before a controller considers and aircraft overdue and perhaps lost.

Still seems pretty loosey-goosey to me with most controllers saying they would not do it and the lack of information for pilots about it. And then there's @Fly_Unity's recent experience, which, given the controller's questioning, suggests there was in fact an error in the relay.

Personally, no way I'm taking a clearance from a nontowered airport with no explicit void time without asking a few questions.

e. The release time and, if issued, the clearance void time

which means that a “released for departure” must be given. Also, the end of this 30 minute window is only for when I’m allowed to start sending in/out other IFR traffic. What it does not say is that the previously issued clearance and release is void. 10-4-1 deals with overdue aircraft.

As for the “as necessary” part, my interpretation is that you must give one of the 3 (hold, released at, or cvt) but which one you give is as necessary.

which fb group did you post in?

Last edited:
Interesting debate. When I was training at ZMP, my trainer had me only issue void times to GA airplanes. I took that, and included my version of how I do it.

When someone calls for a clearance I respond with, which runway and how soon. If the pilot says "ready in two minutes" I just issue without a void and say released for departure. If he says, "10 minutes" I'll respond with. "N427GA, hold for release clearance..blah blah.. Call me when you're ready"

Probably not 100% by the book, but it works. Never had an issue with it and still use it at the TRACON when dudes call me when the towers are closed.

which means that a “released for departure” must be given. Also, the end of this 30 minute window is only for when I’m allowed to start sending in/out other IFR traffic. What it does not say is that the previously issued clearance and release is void. 10-4-1 deals with overdue aircraft.

As for the “as necessary” part, my interpretation is that you must give one of the 3 (hold, released at, or cvt) but which one you give is as necessary.

which fb group did you post in?
the Landline.

and I think what you have said makes the most sense. "Implied" and "IFR" just dont go well together.

the Landline.

and I think what you have said makes the most sense. "Implied" and "IFR" just dont go well together.

Ugh. I left the Landline a while ago. That page is just terrible now. You should come to The Flatline. It’s basicslly just disgruntled pilots and controllers making fun of everyone and everything and laughing about it.

annoy them every time until they start doing it right the first time

@NovemberEcho definitely not required and is stated quite clearly in the .65 that one may be issued if deemed necessary. I'll agree with you that it would be dumb near any marginally busy low altitude airspace which is why there is such a debate here especially considering you're at N90. We give clearances off of airports without void times all the time, although it is taught as a good practice.

Screenshot_20191225-060847_Drive.jpg

This is also pretty clear imo. We even have an LOA with a tower that states they must automatically apply a hfr because otherwise yes they could release somebody anytime they want with a clearance

Ugh. I left the Landline a while ago. That page is just terrible now. You should come to The Flatline. It’s basicslly just disgruntled pilots and controllers making fun of everyone and everything and laughing about it.
My thought is that one must always know how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

ill take a look at Flatline.

edit: love the rule for joining.

Last edited:
I just departed McGrath today, called center on the ground, no void time given. She sounded annoyed when I queried "am I released?"
Controllers being annoyed at a question seeking clarification of a clearance or instruction is not on the bottom of my list of things to be concerned about. it didn't make the list.

Next time ask if you can shut down and grab a cup of coffee before you go.

So it’s not out of line for the pilot in the original post to be surprised?
Nope. He was never issued a Hold For Release.
My technique: Citation 5EB, cleared to airport via, maintain altitude, squawk code. Pilot reads it back. I issue a "readback correct, how long before you're ready to depart and which runway?" Then depending on that answer is when I'll either say "released", "released in 5 minutes, void in 10 minutes", or "hold for release, call back when you're about ready to go."

I do always issue a "released" even though it's not actually required from what I can tell.

Back