CIDP (neurological conditions) and FAA medical

FlyingM77

Hello, I am curious if you have ever come upon a pilot with my condition called CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy). I had lost nearly 90% of strength over 3 months, was diagnosed and recently treated with IVIG. I have rebounded to 100% strength and ability after a 5 day 2g/kg/day regiment, far quicker than the normal patient who, if sees improvement, isn't for 1-6 weeks. I improved starting the second day of treatment. I passed my neurological physical exam and was able to stand on my toes and I have maintained my reflexes, although typical patients loose this. I still have my second class medical but am approaching my renewal to continue as a corporate pilot practicing with my commercial rating. I did not fly when experiencing symptoms but the neurologist sees no issue with me continuing to fly. How can I report this issue without loosing my medical? I feel great and strong with no continuing problems.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

@FlyingM77,
I am no kind of doctor, but as uncommon as that disease is I knew a pilot who lost his medical for a while but eventually got it back. Not sure his situation was exactly the same as yours, he had Guillian Barre which caused the CIDP or something along those lines -- the FAA wanted all his regular medical records, a neurologic report, whether or not he had deficiencies, and wanted a period of time where he was symptom free. I don't remember how much time, but I'm sure the doc here will know. His AME sent all that info to the FAA and cogs and gears turned inside Oklahoma City and eventually his medical was spit out in the mail.

My most highest recommendation would be to go to an AME that preferably _only_ does flight physicals. I made the mistake of going to a pediatrician that did physicals on the side once because he was cheap, and he deferred my medical on something that he didn't need to and had to get and send some bloodwork into the FAA. If I had a medical condition like this I would probably consider flying out to Phoenix to see Dr. Forred to be cheap compared to the possible expensive time not working or unnecessary tests that might be generated by an amateur.

I also recommend if you have to send paperwork to the FAA -- if possible fax it. Due to security reasons it took like a month for my letters to make it through -- maybe it's better now though.

Last edited:
You will need to gather all of your records and forward them to the FAA. They will review the file and make a decision.

Hello, I am curious if you have ever come upon a pilot with my condition called CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy). I had lost nearly 90% of strength over 3 months, was diagnosed and recently treated with IVIG. I have rebounded to 100% strength and ability after a 5 day 2g/kg/day regiment, far quicker than the normal patient who, if sees improvement, isn't for 1-6 weeks. I improved starting the second day of treatment. I passed my neurological physical exam and was able to stand on my toes and I have maintained my reflexes, although typical patients loose this. I still have my second class medical but am approaching my renewal to continue as a corporate pilot practicing with my commercial rating. I did not fly when experiencing symptoms but the neurologist sees no issue with me continuing to fly. How can I report this issue without loosing my medical? I feel great and strong with no continuing problems.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I know this post is very old but I hope you see this. I was wondering what ever happened in your case. I got CIDP a year ago and now jumping through hoops with the FAA. My health is great! Was fortunate to get ahead of the disease and seemed to beat it. At least for now. I'd love to hear your situation and hope you got it back.

I know this post is very old but I hope you see this. I was wondering what ever happened in your case. I got CIDP a year ago and now jumping through hoops with the FAA. My health is great! Was fortunate to get ahead of the disease and seemed to beat it. At least for now. I'd love to hear your situation and hope you got it back.

Flyguy320…did your situation ever get resolved? I’m in a similar situation with CIDP and was wondering if I could reach out to you and discuss? Thanks.

Back