Chautauqua F/A blows .258 at LEX

Stupid question, but as a crew member is the same 8 hour bottle-throttle-rule applicable to her or some other rule?

Stupid question, but as a crew member is the same 8 hour bottle-throttle-rule applicable to her or some other rule?
It depends on the company. At my previous gig we had a 12 hour limit. My current gig is 8 hours per the FAA. What a lot of people forget is just because you stop right at 8 hours doesn't mean the alcohol will be out of your system by report time. I like to grab a spirit or few too but I won't let it mess with my livelihood/career/family.

Just because treating alcoholism using the disease-model is effective doesn't make it a disease. Too many mental health professionals have gotten sloppy with their science.
Yeah, those hacks at the Mayo Clinic. Amateurs at best.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alcoholism/basics/definition/con-20020866

"Alcoholism is a chronic and often progressive disease that includes problems controlling your drinking, being preoccupied with alcohol, continuing to use alcohol even when it causes problems, having to drink more to get the same effect (physical dependence), or having withdrawal symptoms when you rapidly decrease or stop drinking. If you have alcoholism, you can't consistently predict how much you'll drink, how long you'll drink, or what consequences will occur from your drinking.

It's possible to have a problem with alcohol, even when it has not progressed to the point of alcoholism. Problem drinking means you drink too much at times, causing repeated problems in your life, although you're not completely dependent on alcohol.

Binge drinking — a pattern of drinking where a male consumes five or more drinks in a row, or a female downs at least four drinks in a row — can lead to the same health risks and social problems associated with alcoholism. The more you drink, the greater the risks. Binge drinking, which often occurs with teenagers and young adults, may lead to faster development of alcoholism.

If you have alcoholism or you have a problem with alcohol, you may not be able to cut back or quit without help. Denying that you have a problem is usually part of alcoholism and other types of excessive drinking."

Yeah, those hacks at the Mayo Clinic. Amateurs at best.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alcoholism/basics/definition/con-20020866

"Alcoholism is a chronic and often progressive disease that includes problems controlling your drinking, being preoccupied with alcohol, continuing to use alcohol even when it causes problems, having to drink more to get the same effect (physical dependence), or having withdrawal symptoms when you rapidly decrease or stop drinking. If you have alcoholism, you can't consistently predict how much you'll drink, how long you'll drink, or what consequences will occur from your drinking.

It's possible to have a problem with alcohol, even when it has not progressed to the point of alcoholism. Problem drinking means you drink too much at times, causing repeated problems in your life, although you're not completely dependent on alcohol.

Binge drinking — a pattern of drinking where a male consumes five or more drinks in a row, or a female downs at least four drinks in a row — can lead to the same health risks and social problems associated with alcoholism. The more you drink, the greater the risks. Binge drinking, which often occurs with teenagers and young adults, may lead to faster development of alcoholism.

If you have alcoholism or you have a problem with alcohol, you may not be able to cut back or quit without help. Denying that you have a problem is usually part of alcoholism and other types of excessive drinking."
There are those that think that everything in the DSM is a disease.

There are those that think that everything in the DSM is a disease.
Yeah, I think most would agree that alcoholism is more than a mental disorder. There's definitely physical issues that play into it as well. I think in the case of addiction there is more than enough evidence. I've seen it ruin some very capable people. Disease or not, it's sad when people won't seek help. If people who are addicted would treat it like they would if they had cancer, I think more people would seek treatment.

Definition creep is every bit as pervasive as grade inflation, and every bit as dangerous.
Here's what Merriam-Webster says:
dis·ease
noun \di-ˈzēz\
: an illness that affects a person, animal, or plant : a condition that prevents the body or mind from working normally

: a problem that a person, group, organization, or society has and cannot stop

Full Definition of DISEASE
obsolete : trouble
: a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms : sickness,malady
: a harmful development (as in a social institution)

I would say addiction fits the definition pretty well. We can argue about technicalities or try to encourage our co-workers and others to seek help and treat it as aggressively as you would lung cancer etc.

Yeah, I think most would agree that alcoholism is more than a mental disorder. There's definitely physical issues that play into it as well. I think in the case of addiction there is more than enough evidence. I've seen it ruin some very capable people. Disease or not, it's sad when people won't seek help. If people who are addicted would treat it like they would if they had cancer, I think more people would seek treatment.
I agree, there are obviously genetic factors and predispositions at play and it is shameful that science has ignored this widespread problem. My mother and sister are treatment professionals and the definitional debate ends up being one of semantics. This "disease" (yes, I had a hard time coming up with a better term) has touched my life and I encourage those affected to seek professional help.

Here's what Merriam-Webster says:

Yes. That's probably why I used the term "creep".

Prescriptive grammar is key to maintaining a rational, logical society. No, I'm not kidding.

I mean, there's nothing objectively wrong with using "disease" in the way that Webster's would have us do. You just had to start modifying it with "infectious" or "psychological" or what have you pretty much any time you want to use it in a meaningful or useful way. Which seems rather inelegant to me. Why not maintain "disease" for things which involve some physiological complaint, and continue to use "disorder" for psychiatric problems? That's not to suggest that psychiatric disorders are any less serious than physiological diseases (if anything, I'd imagine they tend to be more serious in most cases), but simply that they're, you know, not really all that similar.

Last edited:
Just because treating alcoholism using the disease-model is effective doesn't make it a disease. Too many mental health professionals have gotten sloppy with their science.

Oh it's a disease, trust me. Dealing with a close member of my extended family (that don't make much sense do it? :)) that was a classic alcoholic, it really didn't take a lot of liquor in order for him to have a complete "change".

I don't think it's the amount as it is the oh never mind, there's boobs on TV.

Yes. That's probably why I used the term "creep".

Prescriptive grammar is key to maintaining a rational, logical society. No, I'm not kidding.

I mean, there's nothing objectively wrong with using "disease" in the way that Webster's would have us do. You just had to start modifying it with "infectious" or "psychological" or what have you pretty much any time you want to use it in a meaningful or useful way. Which seems rather inelegant to me. Why not maintain "disease" for things which involve some physiological complaint, and continue to use "disorder" for psychiatric problems? That's not to suggest that psychiatric disorders are any less serious than physiological diseases (if anything, I'd imagine they tend to be more serious in most cases), but simply that they're, you know, not really all that similar.
I smell what you're cooking. I think we tend to down play mental illness as not to offend the insane. You know "he's special", "slow" or "aflicted", not "man he's gots the brain disease ya'll!" The severity between the two is probably minor. What are we talking about again....

Oh it's a disease, trust me. Dealing with a close member of my extende (that don't make much sense do it? :)) that was a classic alcoholic, it really didn't take a lot of liquor in order for him to have a complete "change".

I don't think it's the amount as it is the oh never mind, there's boobs on TV.
A family member of mine got to the point that she would black out after 2 drinks.

I was unaware of prison time, expected the walk of shame would be worst result.
Haven't you seen "FLIGHT"??

Denzel saved lives when his POS airplane quit working at altitude. He still went to prison for those empty vodka bottles they found. Lmao!

The fact that she was vertical proves she is a pro. I wouldn't be awake, or even have the ability to be awake at .258

The fact that she was vertical proves she is a pro. I wouldn't be awake, or even have the ability to be awake at .258

Denzel_Washington_Flight_en.jpg

"Do a line of blow, it works for me."

Back