Challenger Truckee

What operation type is this? Not a formal NetJets, FlexJet type thing I assume? Is this a 2 or 3 plane operation with 10 pilots kinda deal?
What’s a formal “NetJets and FlexJet type”? Do you mean fractional?

I’m sure folks would explain this to you if you weren’t so condescending towards towards their career path. Sure, you think you’re being funny, but I hate to be the barer of bad news, the internet is a difficult place to pick up petty sarcasm w/o a sarcasm tag.

What’s a formal “NetJets and FlexJet type”? Do you mean fractional?

I’m sure folks would explain this to you if you weren’t so condescending towards towards their career path. Sure, you think you’re being funny, but I hate to be the barer of bad news, the internet is a difficult place to pick up petty sarcasm w/o a sarcasm tag.

Meaning nearly an airline-type operation. Large pilot group, scheduling system much like 121 airlines, almost being a number like 121 where it’s big enough. As opposed to a small 10-20 pilot op where everyone knows each other and see the same guys over and over again.

I remember when NetJets was the place to be because the airlines weren’t hiring much, crappy pay in post BK contracts, etc. Then I started to fly with guys who has flown at NetJets and it was eye opening.

Meaning nearly an airline-type operation. Large pilot group, scheduling system much like 121 airlines, almost being a number like 121 where it’s big enough. As opposed to a small 10-20 pilot op where everyone knows each other and see the same guys over and over again.

I remember when NetJets was the place to be because the airlines weren’t hiring much, crappy pay in post BK contracts, etc. Then I started to fly with guys who has flown at NetJets and it was eye opening.
Eh, NetJets (and Flex, et al) has its points, but it was never the be-all, end-all. I had been flying corporate jets for a couple years when NetJets called me with an offer to interview, around 2008 or so. While yes, I had applied for a position there, when I got the offer to interview I really took a deep dive into the money/schedule/QOL questions, and decided to stay where I was. While the money at NetJets would have been substantially better, it didn't offset the other factors that I valued.

Same thing for the airlines - I liked the lifestyle that I was building where I was, and couldn't see enough up-side to making the switch. Now that I'm retired, I'm content that I had a happier work life where I was and don't regret for a minute the financial differences of the other paths. I've put enough $ away to do what we enjoy, comfortably, and had a great time getting here to boot.

I get what you’re saying, but you missed my point. They’re called fractional operators also known as 91K, not NetJet and FlexJet type flying.

Here’s some light reading: 91K

You make it sound like Netjets and Fexjet aren’t the place to be, why? If it suits your lifestyle/flying ambitions, it’s a great place to work. They offer good pay, good schedules, variety of flying, bother large and small cabin jets, and have commercial travel too/from the aircraft.

I can't remember if it's you or @tcco94 but I thought one of you is in this position.......................

"Honey, I'm off to work!"

"But I thought you are working tomorrow evening?"

"I am, but I gotta commute to NYC tonight."

"Oh?"

"Yeah honey, it's the 757ER to Europe."

"Um, babe, couldn't you just fly the 737 right here outta SLC and be home more, like, tonight? Why you gotta commute?"

"But that's not the same thing as the 757ER to Europeeeee!"

*Wife/GF blank stare*

This moment of first world problems bought to you by When Keepin It Real Goes Wrong. ;)
Nah, once she learned to read the 765 rotations she got the drift.

I can't remember if it's you or @tcco94 but I thought one of you is in this position.......................

"Honey, I'm off to work!"

"But I thought you are working tomorrow evening?"

"I am, but I gotta commute to NYC tonight."

"Oh?"

"Yeah honey, it's the 757ER to Europe."

"Um, babe, couldn't you just fly the 737 right here outta SLC and be home more, like, tonight? Why you gotta commute?"

"But that's not the same thing as the 757ER to Europeeeee!"

*Wife/GF blank stare*

This moment of first world problems bought to you by When Keepin It Real Goes Wrong. ;)
I have 18 days off next month with a schedule going to Milan and Edinburgh and 78 hours of pay. I appreciate the concern you have about my commute to work, and the fact I live rent free in your head over it. You keep doing you and I’ll do me. Thanks though.

Nah, once she learned to read the 765 rotations she got the drift.
• she says I’m home enough… driving to work won’t do anything to improve my tee times, skiing or hockey then I don’t really care about the extra few hours going to work. I’ll do that for 1 leg international than our SLC domestic trips. No thanks.

Hell I’m sure CC head will explode knowing I can hold captain here too. What in the world?!?! Big jet syndrome!!! or some other stupid remark

• she says I’m home enough… driving to work won’t do anything to improve my tee times, skiing or hockey then I don’t really care about the extra few hours going to work. I’ll do that for 1 leg international than our SLC domestic trips. No thanks.

Hell I’m sure CC head will explode knowing I can hold captain here too. What in the world?!?! Big jet syndrome!!! or some other stupid remark
Having checked various and sundry career boxes vigorously and to my own goddamn satisfaction elsewhere I mostly shrug and practice my French.

2a80bf7ae3cedfdced07cc30291e6c25--calm-down-quotes-lemurs.jpg

If I recall 121 pilots train from both seats during initial correct?
Sorry, late to the response on this one. At my whole two (2) 121s, the only way you wound up in the left seat during training was if they couldn't find a C/A to sit there. Which did happen, but if and when it did, they did not expect you to have the knowledge and competency of a C/A. They didn't expect you to know the flows (at least not very well), for example.

Reactions: KLB
Sorry, late to the response on this one. At my whole two (2) 121s, the only way you wound up in the left seat during training was if they couldn't find a C/A to sit there. Which did happen, but if and when it did, they did not expect you to have the knowledge and competency of a C/A. They didn't expect you to know the flows (at least not very well), for example.

That's interesting. So what happens when you're sitting 3 deep on a long haul flight? It's also interesting that you are typed as PIC technically without actually ever sitting in the left seat or learning the left seat flows.

That's interesting. So what happens when you're sitting 3 deep on a long haul flight? It's also interesting that you are typed as PIC technically without actually ever sitting in the left seat or learning the left seat flows.

You fly all of the required maneuvers, just from the right seat in the training environment. In the case of being the R/O, you certainly occupy the left seat quite often, but only during cruise. I think the notion is that you're qualified to operate the appliance regardless of seat position based on the training you've received, but are not qualified as a Captain (as distinct from being *qualified* as PIC). It works fine, and I would argue that it keeps the eh, what would you call it? "Command gradient arguments" to a minimum. I prefer it, in any case.

Edit: Flows, obviously, are not anywhere in the PTS for the rating, etc.

Reactions: KLB

I'm guessing SIC types are not really an airline thing. I know at mine, I had to do one left seat aborted/rejected takeoff to satisfy the requirement on my type check/LOE. Like reset the sim, everyone get up fire drill, and then do it. I may have also had to do a low vis taxi as well, but I don't think that part was on the actual type check, was earlier in training footprint IIRC.

I'm guessing SIC types are not really an airline thing. I know at mine, I had to do one left seat aborted/rejected takeoff to satisfy the requirement on my type check/LOE. Like reset the sim, everyone get up fire drill, and then do it. I may have also had to do a low vis taxi as well, but I don't think that part was on the actual type check, was earlier in training footprint IIRC.
SIC types were a thing as late as 2013ish. ICAO changed their requirement that every crewmember needed to have a PIC type rating so that is when all 121 pilots had to complete PIC type rating requirements, including the low vis taxi and rejected takeoff.

It’s…expedient to know them during initial anyway.

Back