Challenger Truckee

Date:26-JUL-2021
Time:c. 13:30
Type:
Silhouette image of generic CL60 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Bombardier CL-600-2B16 Challenger 605
Owner/operator:Tarco Aircraft Funding LLC
MSN:5715
Fatalities:Fatalities: 3 / Occupants: 3
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Category:Accident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Approach
Nature:Unknown
Departure airport:Coeur D'Alene Airport, ID (COE/KCOE)
Destination airport:Truckee Airport, CA (TKF/KTRK)
Investigating agency:NTSB
Narrative:
A Bombardier CL-600-2B16 Challenger 605, registration N605TR, was destroyed when it impacted heavily wooded terrain while on approach to Truckee Airport (TKF/KTRK), Truckee, California.
The three people onboard were fatally injured.

Multiple witnesses saw the aircraft in a very sharp right turn before impact.

5049757E-07D8-4337-9CAD-863E3A18CCC1.jpeg

Description in the article matches this Challenger 605…flight track (speed vs altitude is intriguing):
DD719971-9082-41CC-96CE-4F7D5E14F8AE.jpeg

Date:26-JUL-2021
Time:c. 13:30
Type:
Silhouette image of generic CL60 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Bombardier CL-600-2B16 Challenger 605
Owner/operator:Tarco Aircraft Funding LLC
MSN:5715
Fatalities:Fatalities: 3 / Occupants: 3
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Category:Accident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Approach
Nature:Unknown
Departure airport:Coeur D'Alene Airport, ID (COE/KCOE)
Destination airport:Truckee Airport, CA (TKF/KTRK)
Investigating agency:NTSB
Narrative:
A Bombardier CL-600-2B16 Challenger 605, registration N605TR, was destroyed when it impacted heavily wooded terrain while on approach to Truckee Airport (TKF/KTRK), Truckee, California.
The three people onboard were fatally injured.

Multiple witnesses saw the aircraft in a very sharp right turn before impact.

View attachment 60110
RIP. :(

THIS... is why we can't have nice things - like circling approaches, and hand flying, and airmanship, and the ability to instruct in experimentals, and...

One day, pilots are going to be able to fly their airplanes. That will be the day Google delivers the self-flying plane avionics stack, I guess. ... SAD.

Last edited:
Description in the article matches this Challenger 605…flight track (speed vs altitude is intriguing): View attachment 60109
Yeah, THAT doesn't look right.

CVR prediction machine printout (assuming the PM was substantially more than a wet commercial with a pulse)...

16:18:22 CAM1: "You still got the airfield?"
16:18:24 CAM2: "Ah... I think... ahh .... "
16:18:25 CAM2: "Ahhh....A little fast..."
16:18:30 CAM2: "Go around?"
16:18:31 CAM1: "Naw, we got this."
16:18: 33 CAM1: " # # "
16:18: 34 ----- EOR

Last edited:
Never flown one, but am typed on the 601. Long story. If the sim is to be believed, this is exactly the wrong airplane to be horsing the nose around on at low speed. Time will tell and all that.
Quite correct. But, per the FA signal, it sure doesn't appear they were slow. If anything, the opposite. It's FA, so yeah, that's far from perfect. But still.

Something tells me I’m going to be reading an accident report about you one day. The guys who think their airmanship is so spectacular are always the ones who are just a smoking hole waiting to happen.
You completely misread me, my misguided friend. I'm not claiming ANYTHING about ME whatsoever. Every day for me is, "There but for the grace of God..." Every day for me, is "What don't I know yet? What could I learn today?"

Last edited:
You communicate terribly, then.
Given the current general level of competency and reading comprehension, and "common" sense, that's a compliment. Same reason people typically despise literature and math science and experts of any kind... hell, these days, same reason many people despise facts.

If you think that everyone else around you is a dolt, then maybe they aren’t the problem…
I don't think everyone is anything. 'Matter'o'fact, I don't really believe in absolutes or superlatives. They're too much like religion. I do know, factually, that many, many folks are dolts. Don't need to believe me, just look at test scores. I also know that many folks are extremely competent, but overly reticent to make waves.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."
"That's the way the world ends. With a whimper, not a bang."
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

Now, without Googling, why don't you play... "NAME THAT AUTHOR!" Johnny, tell him what he's won!

Co-counsel gives this alternate defense plan: ... pretty sure Joe Bauers thought everyone around him was a dolt. And yeah, mi amigo, he was not wrong.

Last edited:
A video of a Ring camera capturing the noise, and also some footage of the First Responders:

Damn! That's, uh, disturbing...

Still, LOL:

"Viewer Discretion is Advised." --

Translation from the Decent- "Hey, Viewers! Hold my beer and watch THIS!!!"

I operate out of KTRK frequently - in a King Air 350. I can say there are variables that add to complexity of that airport. The fact it is in a bowl surrounded by terrain, strange noise abatement procedures and the airport is almost 6,000 feet elevation all increase your FRAT score

RIP to the deceased.

Back