CFI Training and Checkride Write Up - SDL FSDO

There is nothing that says a student cannot request and receive special VFR. The special VFR minimums are just that, minimums. A student has a visibility limitation of 3SM day per the FARs but there is no ceiling limitation. A student pilot may request special VFR in controlled airspace to the surface provided there is at least 3 SM visibility and they remain clear of clouds and the controlled airspace allows SVFR.

This is where 61.87(a)(8) becomes important. It's the CFIs job to put NO SVFR in their limitations.

Haha light sports are great fun, I instruct at a couple places. One has 172's and one has LSA's. All the LSA's have nice glass
Panels and a good few of them will outclimb a 172. Doesn't matter to me what I'm flying tho so long as I'm in the air!

Sec. 61.89

General limitations.

(a) A student pilot may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft:
(1) That is carrying a passenger;
(2) That is carrying property for compensation or hire;
(3) For compensation or hire;
(4) In furtherance of a business;
(5) On an international flight, except that a student pilot may make solo training flights from Haines, Gustavus, or Juneau, Alaska, to White Horse, Yukon, Canada, and return over the province of British Columbia;
(6) With a flight or surface visibility of less than 3 statute miles during daylight hours or 5 statute miles at night;
(7) When the flight cannot be made with visual reference to the surface; or
(8) In a manner contrary to any limitations placed in the pilot's logbook by an authorized instructor.
(b) A student pilot may not act as a required pilot flight crewmember on any aircraft for which more than one pilot is required by the type certificate of the aircraft or regulations under which the flight is conducted, except when receiving flight training from an authorized instructor on board an airship, and no person other than a required flight crewmember is carried on the aircraft.

Then it would be IFR and still no. since IFR is <1000' and/or 1-3SM; MVFR is 1000'-3000' and/or 3-5SM. Then one must fallow the basic VFR weather mins in 91.155 and fallow

(a) Except as provided in appendix D, section 3, of this part, special VFR operations may be conducted under the weather minimums and requirements of this section, instead of those contained in §91.155, below 10,000 feet MSL within the airspace contained by the upward extension of the lateral boundaries of the controlled airspace designated to the surface for an airport.
(b) Special VFR operations may only be conducted—
(1) With an ATC clearance;
(2) Clear of clouds;
(3) Except for helicopters, when flight visibility is at least 1 statute mile; and
(4) Except for helicopters, between sunrise and sunset (or in Alaska, when the sun is 6 degrees or more below the horizon) unless—
(i) The person being granted the ATC clearance meets the applicable requirements for instrument flight under part 61 of this chapter; and
(ii) The aircraft is equipped as required in §91.205(d).
(c) No person may take off or land an aircraft (other than a helicopter) under special VFR—
(1) Unless ground visibility is at least 1 statute mile; or
(2) If ground visibility is not reported, unless flight visibility is at least 1 statute mile. For the purposes of this paragraph, the term flight visibility includes the visibility from the cockpit of an aircraft in takeoff position if:
(i) The flight is conducted under this part 91; and
(ii) The airport at which the aircraft is located is a satellite airport that does not have weather reporting capabilities.
(d) The determination of visibility by a pilot in accordance with paragraph (c)(2) of this section is not an official weather report or an official ground visibility report.

The section you just highlighted refers to requesting SVFR at "night" (between sunset and sunrise) read the paragraph directly above what you just highlighted. I still see no reason why a student pilot can't request and get SVFR during the day if vis is
above 3 miles and ceiling is say, 800ft in controlled airspace to the ground.

Exactly, good to know the regs inside and out to know it's legal. But then you also have to ask is it safe. I and no CFI I know
would ever allow a student pilot to request SVFR. I only brought it up because someone previously said a student pilot cannot
request SVFR. Just good clean reg digging:)

The section you just highlighted refers to requesting SVFR at "night" (between sunset and sunrise) read the paragraph directly above what you just highlighted. I still see no reason why a student pilot can't request and get SVFR during the day if vis is
above 3 miles and ceiling is say, 800ft in controlled airspace to the ground.

A literal reading of the regs does support this, however FSDO inspectors have been quoted in the past saying there is an implied restriction against SVFR for students. Now then, we know FSDO inspectors are all "standardized" on their interpretations of regulations (hehehe).... but in this case, with the obvious lack of common sense that would be involved in most cases with letting a student do it, which in and of itself would probably put the CFI in the crosshairs of the inspector who witnesses it, and the history of some FAA folks saying "no"... I would still answer this the same way... "no svfr".

I actually went and searched looking for a FSDO quote I'm sure I've seen before for a few minutes and didn't find one, so... take that for what it's worth.

Even still I'm unconvinced that a student pilot can't request and be granted SVFR unless I see some reg
supporting no SVFR for student pilots. How else can 91.157 b(4(i)) be interpreted? If it's not interpreted literally then it's also
( and you) are in essence saying a private pilot could never request SVFR either since they dont have an instrument rating.

Haha thanks! My response was for rframe. Not trying to stir things up, but I love talking to other pilots/instructors and
hashing different things out, you learn a lot that way!

SVFR rocks. Esp with no viz requirement; making "clear of clouds" and interesting interpertation. :)

I've seen one of my students request and receive SVFR before.

I was sitting right next to them. Ground control didn't know I was there. Something to think about.

Answer time. Very interesting discussion on SVFR for student pilots. I did not know that it wasn't specifically prohibited, so I will certainly be adding that limitation to my endorsements. Great stuff!

Is there a visibility requirement for a student solo flight?
61.89(a)(6) 3SM day, 5SM night

What types of lessons must be logged?
61.51(b) says each person must enter information for each flight or lesson logged. My CFI had printed a ground lesson log to bring to my checkride and the examiner was happy to see it because it is required according to this reg.

Are student pilots required to carry their logbooks on flights?
61.51(i)(2)(i) logbooks are required to be carried on all solo cross-country flights as evidence of the required authorized instructor clearances and endorsements.

What's the duration of a student pilot certificate?
61.19(b) duration is the same as 3rd class medical, student sport pilots get 60 months (no medical).

Airworthiness certificates can be one of two colors, what colors and what are they for?
Pink - Experimental Certificate
White - everything else

You're in a spin, get disoriented and your airplane doesn't have a ball and slip indicator, how do you know which way you are spinning?
As mentioned earlier by 22L, the aircraft is spinning in the direction of the rudder pedal with less resistance.

Back