CFI Training and Checkride Write Up - SDL FSDO

Shiner

El Capitan
Passed my CFI initial checkride at the Scottsdale FSDO earlier today and thought I'd share my experiences getting this certificate with everyone.

Background:
I've been training at a Part 61 school out of SDL for the past 2 years. I called the FSDO and scheduled the ride a month in advance and worked my butt off to get ready. I owe a lot of gratitude to my instructors who were both extremely knowledgeable and thorough. I wouldn't have passed without their guidance.

Oral/Ground Preparation:
I made a lesson plan for each TASK in the CFI PTS. Writing the lesson plans and organizing all of the material helped me get a great feel for the information and develop a strategy to teach it. I based all of the information in the lessons on FAA reference materials (PHAK, AFH, FAR/AIM, Aviation Weather Services Book, Aircraft POH, etc). Before the checkride, I tabbed all of these references, so any information could be readily obtained. My instructors helped me with examples to use for certain lessons, additional knowledge, and evaluating my teaching ability. The whole process took a lot of time, but it has paid off greatly, as my knowledge feels so much deeper than before.

Flying Preparation:
I did about 7 flights over two to three weeks to get comfortable with flying in the right seat and evaluating my "students" performance. I did about half in a 172 SP and half in a 172 RG. I should have started with the RG from the beginning because it may have saved a flight or two. Watching and critiquing students can be a difficult skill to acquire and I overlooked this portion of CFI training before going through it.

The Oral:
The checkride was scheduled for two days, ground one day and flight the next morning. I brought all of my reference materials, lesson plan binder, charts, plotter, PTS's, teaching-model airplane and anything else I might need to help teach any lesson. Presentation is important for the oral and I walked in knowing I was prepared. I was asked about the required TASK's as well as The Learning Process, Airplane Flight Controls, Certificates and Documents, Airworthiness Requirements, and Maneuver Lesson on Lazy Eights. I struggled the most with Certificates and Documents, but luckily my FAR/AIM was tabbed, highlighted, and handy. The oral went great and I was done in about 3.5 hours. The examiner was impressed.

The Flight:
Showed up the next morning, and had to reschedule the checkride because of a maintenance issue discovered during the run-up. Had a couple of photo flights over the weekend to stay in flying mode and got paid which was nice. Had the ride rescheduled for today. The examiner was not happy I didn't have an airport diagram handy during the taxi. He told me it's something the FAA looks for, so take note. We had a good crosswind out there and I didn't perform great in the gusty conditions, but overall the flight was safe. In the air we covered, short/soft takeoff and landing, no flap landing, go-around, steep turns, slow flight, power off/secondary stalls, lazy 8, engine out emergency, eights on pylons, s-turns, and BAI. The air work was smooth considering the conditions and I flew about 80% of the time. I was constantly talking and explaining what I was doing and why. Any deviation from altitude or airspeed, I noted and told him I was working to get back to my desired figure. The areas I could have performed better were the crosswind takeoffs and landings.

Getting this certificate has been extremely rewarding and I am anxious to put it to use. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I hope this write up helps some other CFI candidates out there. Feel free to PM me.

The examiner was not happy I didn't have an airport diagram handy during the taxi. He told me it's something the FAA looks for, so take note.

The DPE for my CFI initial told me on a routine ride with the FAA (I guess DPE's have to do check rides occasionally), the FSDO guy just "happened to mention" before the flight a couple DPEs had lost their authority to examine because they didn't have an airport taxi chart...folk who'd been DPE'ing and instructing out of the same place for years.

Great job finishing up. It is commendable that you were able to do it on your time as part 61.

Congratulations!

I dont get the 'airport diagram' thing... where does it state a taxi diagram is required, and furthermore where does the FAA even provide one outside of approach plates, which obviously aren't required for VFR flight? The AFD diagrams aren't detailed enough to use for taxi. Where do they pull these requirements from? I do use approach plate diagrams as a matter of habit even VFR because I find them handy, but hearing about junk like this popping up as being important for examiner-so-and-so drives me nuts.

^it's in the special emphasis area of the PTS. Its "runway incursion avoidance" but they don't specifically tell you that. All my students have one for their ride.

I used a cut and past from the AFD and the AOPA kneeboard format for all three instructor rides...no issues.

Here's a few other things I wrote down that I was asked about on the oral and had to do a bit of searching for. I've got the answers now, so let's see how you all do.

Is there a visibility requirement for a student solo flight?

What types of lessons must be logged?

Are student pilots required to carry their logbooks on flights?

What's the duration of a student pilot certificate?

Airworthiness certificates can be one of two colors, what colors and what are they for?

You're in a spin, get disoriented and your airplane doesn't have a ball and slip indicator, how do you know which way you are spinning?

^it's in the special emphasis area of the PTS. Its "runway incursion avoidance" but they don't specifically tell you that. All my students have one for their ride.

What he said...

If your airport has "HOT" areas they will me marked on the Airport diagram. "Runway incursion avoidance", 91.103 and blah blah blah..... You're supposed to know about them. How do you know about them? The chart... Are you required to have the chart? No, but you still need to know about them....

The problem pilots should take it upon them selves to do and learn these things on their own. If the majority actually did, then the FAA wouldn't feel like they have to step in and hold everyones hands and remind them. Don't give the FAA any more reasons to step in and take control.

You're in a spin, get disoriented and your airplane doesn't have a ball and slip indicator, how do you know which way you are spinning?
I hope you didn't call it that on your checkride:clap:

edit:

And I REALLY hope the examiner doesn't think the ball will tell you the direction of the spin. Even if you have one it's worthless anyway.

Now a turn & bank or turn coordinator ONTH....

Don't give the FAA any more reasons to step in and take control.

While I totally agree on the value of the diagrams, how is allowing an examiner to set arbitrary requirements for required tools/equipment other than those actually stated as legal requirements not considered giving the FAA more control? (BTW, this is rhetorical, I'm not suggesting we "allow" examiners to do or not do anything, since they have little accountability).

edit: when I said examiner's have little accountability, I meant 'inspectors', not DPE's

I hope you didn't call it that on your checkride:clap:

edit:

And I REALLY hope the examiner doesn't think the ball will tell you the direction of the spin. Even if you have one it's worthless anyway.

Now a turn & bank or turn coordinator ONTH....

Pardon me, I meant to say turn and slip, not ball and slip. The examiner specified that the pilot doesn't have indications from that instrument at the beginning of the spin, so they know which way the aircraft is yawing. Care to answer the question?

Here's a few other things I wrote down that I was asked about on the oral and had to do a bit of searching for. I've got the answers now, so let's see how you all do.

Hmmm, well I want to go look up some of these but I'll play honest and guess :)

3 miles, 5 miles up high, and no SVFR for students

Only those that will be used to count as credit toward a certificate or rating

Only if an endorsement is required for that particular flight, typically x-country flights.

As long as their third-class medical is valid, age dependent.

Airworthiness certificates can be one of two colors, what colors and what are they for?

Faded cracked sun-bleached yellow ;) or pink, yellow is normal pink is special.

Look out the window and see which way the trees and houses are going, you're spinning the other way :)

While I totally agree on the value of the diagrams, how is allowing an examiner to set arbitrary requirements for required tools/equipment other than those actually stated as legal requirements not considered giving the FAA more control? (BTW, this is rhetorical, I'm not suggesting we "allow" examiners to do or not do anything, since they have little accountability).

edit: when I said examiner's have little accountability, I meant 'inspectors', not DPE's

I dont think this was a and issue where the examiner/FAA inspector was going to bust him over. Since the flight went well, he probably just wanted to bring it to his attention, that's all.

Pardon me, I meant to say turn and slip, not ball and slip. The examiner specified that the pilot doesn't have indications from that instrument at the beginning of the spin, so they know which way the aircraft is yawing. Care to answer the question?
Sure, why not?...

If you get disoriented in a developed spin and don't have a T&B or TC the last place you look is over the nose. That will make your disorientation worse. Your best bet is to sample the rudders. Which ever rudder is firm is the one you want to swiftly apply to the stop. Then followed by forward elevator till the rotation stops.

Looking over the nose will work once someone has received enough spin training to re-orient themselves during a spin. If you can enter a spin and count the number of rotations and attempt to recover on heading, the looking outside method will work with a developed spin.

For incipient spins (the ones you're more likely to see as CFI) looking outside over the nose will work if you've received adequate stall/spin training anywhere in your flying career. Just apply opposite rudder from the wing drop and reduce back pressure. That'll stop the auto-rotation.

Hmmm, well I want to go look up some of these but I'll play honest and guess :)

3 miles, 5 miles up high, and no SVFR for students

Only those that will be used to count as credit toward a certificate or rating

Only if an endorsement is required for that particular flight, typically x-country flights.

As long as their third-class medical is valid, age dependent.

Faded cracked sun-bleached yellow ;) or pink, yellow is normal pink is special.

Look out the window and see which way the trees and houses are going, you're spinning the other way :)

What says a student pilot can't request SVFR?

Also that flight or lesson used towards currency must be logged in addition to flights for a certificate or rating

Back