Cessna Layoffs and Columbus Suspension

fisher37

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/43976732.html
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Cessna says 1,600 layoff notices are going out today to all levels of the company, 1,300 of which are in Wichita.
<script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('<table style=\"float : right;\" border=\"0\"><tbody><tr><td align=\"center\" valign=\"bottom\">');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write('<scr'+'ipt language="Javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://cas.clickability.com/cas/cas.js?r='+Math.random()+'&p=97&c=6500&m=22&d=22201&pre=%3Ctable+style%3D%22float+%3A+right%3B%22+border%3D%220%22%3E%3Ctbody%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd+align%3D%22center%22+valign%3D%22bottom%22%3E&post=%3C%2Ftd%3E%3C%2Ftr%3E%3C%2Ftbody%3E%3C%2Ftable%3E"></scr'+'ipt>'); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('</td></tr></tbody></table>');</script><script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://cas.clickability.com/cas/cas.js?r=0.47451926137941136&p=97&c=6500&m=22&d=22201&pre=%3Ctable+style%3D%22float+%3A+right%3B%22+border%3D%220%22%3E%3Ctbody%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd+align%3D%22center%22+valign%3D%22bottom%22%3E&post=%3C%2Ftd%3E%3C%2Ftr%3E%3C%2Ftbody%3E%3C%2Ftable%3E"></script> In mid-June, Cessna expects to lay off another 700 workers, as a result of the suspension of the Citation Columbus project, which was also announced today.
The company says the suspension of that program is due to low demand in the business jet economy.
The Columbus is Cessna's largest jet yet. The company is building a plant at its Mid-Continent Airport facility for final assembly, as well as receiving help from Spirit Aerosystems to build the aircraft's fuselage. Spirit is also building a new plant for Columbus production.
Cessna's previously announced two week shutdown in June has also been extended. That furlough will now run four weeks, from June 22 to July 19.
In another cost cutting measure, the company is also shutting down their Bend, Oregon facility and moving that work to Independence, Kansas. That move will take place later this year.
The announcements are in conjunction with Textron releasing its first-quarter earnings report Tuesday.

haha...I think they're kind of nervous about the LSA...they keep running them into the ground!

I think their whole business model was designed for failure. Instead of building an affordable, basic piston single that flight schools could thrive off of, they dumped tens of thousands worth of overkill avionics into a platform that still isn't much faster than driving. The Skyhawk is really only a viable means of transportation with a 100-300 mile travel radius. Any less, just drive - any more, it's far, far cheaper and easier to fly commercial. Sorry, for a 200nm trip, I don't need build in weather radar or terrain mapping.

They would have been much better off building a basic Skyhawk priced around $100k to start. Flight schools could have rented them for less than $100 an hour, and we'd still have aviation enthusiasts, rather than a bunch of kids with a metric ton of debt.

Yeah. When you factor in the twenty minutes it takes to program the GPS for your 200 mile trip, it might actually be slower than taking the train. If they can find the jigs, cessna should go back to building 177s with a basic six pack certified for IFR. Fast, efficient (for a cessna), pretty, and a Known Quantity.

I like the idea of a 2 seat trainer, but a standard 6 pack, a garmin 430 and away you go.

Even offering a "basic" trainer with nothing but the day/night required VFR instrumentation would have been fantastic! Something we can spin and show student pilots how to navigate by...oh...I don't know...looking out the window.

Student pilots really don't need a G1000 or G600 or whatever they're calling it.

-mini

Student pilots really don't need a G1000 or G600 or whatever they're calling it.

G300. Basically two of the new 696 screens with some avionics software on them. I've seen the "Groundcatcher" twice now. First at the Sebring LSA expo, and then last week at Sun and Fun. Each time, I've been unimpressed. For an LSA, its really a piece. They are late to the market, with a subpar aircraft.

On the other hand, I'm dissapointed they are suspending the Columbus. I think it had some real promise, and hopefully sometime in the near future, they continue working on it.

Yeah. When you factor in the twenty minutes it takes to program the GPS for your 200 mile trip, it might actually be slower than taking the train. If they can find the jigs, cessna should go back to building 177s with a basic six pack certified for IFR. Fast, efficient (for a cessna), pretty, and a Known Quantity.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Love that airplane. Always thought they were pretty.

On the other hand, I'm dissapointed they are suspending the Columbus. I think it had some real promise, and hopefully sometime in the near future, they continue working on it.

I dunno, this seems like a smart move to me. I mean, everybody likes a nice high-tech globetrotting wonder, sure, but have you heard what corporate jets are fetching these days on the market? I know of at least two fairly nice Lear 60s that are basically sitting on blocks because no one wants to buy them for love or money. I think the days of jetting from one continent to another on a whim in sybaritic comfort because you CAN are over.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Love that airplane. Always thought they were pretty.

I have maybe 150 hours in 177s. 50 in the basic 177 with the skyhawk engine (ok, yes, it was underpowered and kind of weird to land, but it was a bit faster than a stodgy old hawk and a better view, both inside and out), and around 100 in a 177B which was the bee's knees and had fixed 90% of the "character" of the original, but couldn't overcome the reputation. Wonderful airplane. Heck, you can even sort of see above you!

I dunno, this seems like a smart move to me. I mean, everybody likes a nice high-tech globetrotting wonder, sure, but have you heard what corporate jets are fetching these days on the market? I know of at least two fairly nice Lear 60s that are basically sitting on blocks because no one wants to buy them for love or money. I think the days of jetting from one continent to another on a whim in sybaritic comfort because you CAN are over.

Yup, those days came to an end about 101 days ago. However, I still think that Cessna could jump in the market, and do well for those business who have a realistic need for a larger Citation than the Citation X. They could realistically use it as a business tool, if they outgrow the specs of the X. I'm sure in a year or so, it'll be back on the design process.

I think your right about this one, but I hope your not.:(

People have a really short memory when it comes to these types of things. Remember when the rage was alternative fuels and hybrid cars when gas was so high last year. Yeah, not so much anymore - at least until the price of gas sky rockets again.

Ahh shucks... Maybe tiahrt can get in line for some gubmint stimulus money to replace what just went out the door with private sector. Sorry to hear it wacheetah.

Plus if you look at a lot of the articles and ads about aircraft, it's always about avionics.

If I bought an airplane, I'd like to keep it pure and simple. I'd rather have a Piper Super Cub rather than a pimped out, full-glass Cessna 172. IFR-capable would be a plus, but if I've got to shoot an approach in a non-emergency situation, I'm probably not flying anyway! :) I've got plenty of actual.

Plus if you look at a lot of the articles and ads about aircraft, it's always about avionics.

If I bought an airplane, I'd like to keep it pure and simple. I'd rather have a Piper Super Cub rather than a pimped out, full-glass Cessna 172. IFR-capable would be a plus, but if I've got to shoot an approach in a non-emergency situation, I'm probably not flying anyway! :) I've got plenty of actual.
But, but . . . what are you supposed to look at if you don't have a glass panel? :panic:

Heh. If the weather holds out I'll be flying one of those for the next two days getting my TW endorsement...

But, but . . . what are you supposed to look at if you don't have a glass panel? :panic:

:)

Some folks fly over the ocean with a basic six-pack for hours on end but I need G1000 glass to fly VFR to Tucson?!

I hear ya - we recently had an over-voltage light on our 172 illuminate. The plane was down for a week while they diagnosed that it was erroneous. One of our members pointed out that our last plane, having not had an "over-voltage" sensor, would have been flying during that period. Less is more I'm convinced.

Don't even get me started on the discrepancies between our digital gauges and our analog ones. "Wait, do I trust the Oil Press reading on the digital side, or the analog?"

Back