Cessna Jet Accident Cedar Fort UT - Owner Operator

3 months of no tailwheel the other day and lets say I was really happy the runway was not paved. Probably used half of it to land, when the airplane is capable of more in the 200ft range.

I haven't flown a tail wheel in 3 months. Did 17 landings on a paved strip yesterday, they were all good. Your point?

For the critics of this pilot's radio etiquette: would you rather he said that "The engine is running a teensy weensie rough and I would like to land on the beach below me?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAAAAAGHHHAAA

When it comes to certain situation I would imagine a lapse of radio etiquette could actually be a good thing. I recall a few investigations revealed that ATC wasnt aware the gravity of the situation because the pilots seemed so normal and calm.
Purely from my perspective if I heard "declaring and emergency due to power loss in flight and diverting to XXX", as ATC i would be less inclined to view it with the same severity as "im losing my engine, uhhh its shaking like a SOB, uhh i need to land at XXX now!" Even though the exact situation could be relayed either way. But this is the amateur (and I use that word even with hesitancy) perspective.

Dont mean to sidetrack this thread any more than it already it, but I try to take any opportunity to learn I can.

RIP my heart goes out to them in any possible circumstances.

I haven't flown a tail wheel in 3 months. Did 17 landings on a paved strip yesterday, they were all good. Your point?
The landings sucked compared to what I used to be capable of due to the lack of not only currency but certainly proficiency.

As safe as who?
Here's a scenario
Bob is a successful businessman, owns his 525, flies it say 200 hrs a year, invests in good recurring training and so forth.
Jack left his job in the regionals to spend more time home and works as a contract captain in 525 and 500 series, about 450 hrs a year, flying 501, 560, 525 and 525A.
Originally I added a bunch of assumptions for both Bob and Jack, but then deleted them as ymmv
How are you going to determine which one of them is better suited to handle an emergency?

...So remind me again how owner/operator single pilot weekend warriors are just as safe inside the cockpit...

As safe as who?
Here's a scenario
Bob is a successful businessman, owns his 525, flies it say 200 hrs a year, invests in good recurring training and so forth.
Jack left his job in the regionals to spend more time home and works as a contract captain in 525 and 500 series, about 450 hrs a year, flying 501, 560, 525 and 525A.
Originally I added a bunch of assumptions for both Bob and Jack, but then deleted them as ymmv
How are you going to determine which one of them is better suited to handle an emergency?
This is easy...
Of course Jack is best suited to handle an emergency because Bob OWNS the plane he flies! :sarcasm:

Back