Cessna Jet Accident Cedar Fort UT - Owner Operator

Flying isn't a perishable skill? I'm the only one that has trouble with not being sloppy after weeks or months away?
3 months of no tailwheel the other day and lets say I was really happy the runway was not paved. Probably used half of it to land, when the airplane is capable of more in the 200ft range.

What does this have to do with anything? If your phraseology has anything to do with piloting ability there must be a ton of horrible 121 pilots.
I'm a phraseology nazi, but I can see the slip especially under stress. I wouldn't call this a big issue, if it was a reoccurring thing, ok.

Flying isn't a perishable skill? I'm the only one that has trouble with not being sloppy after weeks or months away?
3 months of no tailwheel the other day and lets say I was really happy the runway was not paved. Probably used half of it to land, when the airplane is capable of more in the 200ft range.
I've been on a month on/month off schedule for 5 years. I was on a 20/20 for over 2 years before that. I have averaged between 200 and 300 hours per year since I started over here.

You are saying I am unsafe. So I laughed. Questions?

I've been on a month on/month off schedule for 5 years. I was on a 20/20 for over 2 years before that. I have averaged between 200 and 300 hours per year since I started over here.

You are saying I am unsafe. So I laughed. Questions?
No I'm not. I flew about 100 hours this year on a 2 week on/off schedule.
I'm saying that at no point was I truly proficient. No one is with that little flying.

What does this have to do with anything? If your phraseology has anything to do with piloting ability there must be a ton of horrible 121 pilots.

you honestly think this guy sounded like he knew what he was doing?

Is this how you'd say this?

"altitude will not hold right now ... OK -- mayday -- I do need to get up higher, 711 bravo X-ray. I'm losing different instruments. I'd really like to get into clearer weather,"

Phraseology is pretty standard among us. I think it would go like this:

"I can't maintain altitude. I need to climb. I need VMC" I believe these things are ingrained in us.

Just my take.

Last edited:
3 months of no tailwheel the other day and lets say I was really happy the runway was not paved.

Hard to say. Guess I was lucky when I landed my newly purchased tailwheel on pavement after a 10 yr layoff.

"altitude will not hold right now ... OK -- mayday -- I do need to get up higher, 711 bravo X-ray. I'm losing different instruments. I'd really like to get into clearer weather,"

"I can't maintain altitude. I need to climb. I need VMC" I believe these things are ingrained in us.

Just my take.
Have you ever listened to yourself on liveATC during an emergency? Plus, during a loss of control where you are fighting an airplane you are not going to sound completely professional.

Have you ever listened to yourself on liveATC during an emergency? Plus, during a loss of control where you are fighting an airplane you are not going to sound completely professional.

I have two emergencies. One serious. Never listened to the tapes. The thing that surprised me the most was how training kicked in and procedures were followed when we had our hands very full.
I wasn't expecting to hear a calm Chuck Yeager voice. I just got a bad vibe listening to him. The classic "Owner operator" bad vibe.
Like I said, just my take.

No I'm not. I flew about 100 hours this year on a 2 week on/off schedule.
I'm saying that at no point was I truly proficient. No one is with that little flying.
You were asked what is your estimate of what makes somebody competent to fly an airplane. Now, you're switching to proficient. There is a difference in aviation between those two words. That was my point.

Now back to dragging a dead guy through the mud when nobody knows exactly what happened.

RIP to him and his wife.

Sounds like things went bad for this guy and he suddenly found himself with his hands full of airplane that was scaring the hell out of him. Not sure my phraseology would be too hot if I were in his situation.

As for being proficient/competent - who knows? Anyone on here fly with the guy? Classic case of test first - lesson after and sadly he failed the test.

I fly the jet I manage almost every day in all kinds of weather. Almost all the time everything works as advertised and the flight goes without incident. However, just because I fly this thing 500+ a year doesn't mean something could go wrong that will test me to the limits of my experience.

I feel sorry for this guy and his wife, not a good way to go,

RIP

Bp244

You aren't the boss of me!
leonardmccoy_5742.jpg

Just my take.

I can tell you this much. I've had a few emergencies. None of them loss of control. But I honestly can't remember what the hell I said on the radio. What I can tell you is my main concern was getting my message across to ATC, proper phraseology or not.

The closest I've had was the cabin of a 172 filling with smoke just after departure from a non towered field. I remember coming on the radio and saying something like "Cessna just departed runway 22, smoke is filling the cockpit, we are turning around and landing runway 4. EVERYBODY MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!"

Clearly I'm getting flack for my viewpoint. Bummer this guy didn't have a better outcome. Don't mean to drag him through the mud. I think it will be interesting to see what happened. My spidey-sense is saying something. Not sure what but something.

How to depart controlled flight. Handle it while scared but clearly/concisely and learn NOTHING from it:

http://aviationweek.com/aftermarket-solutions/lessons-past-mishaps

Robert Breiling, head of the half-century-old Boca Raton, Florida, safety consulting firm that bears his name, just shakes his head when he reviews the causes of recent accidents and incidents. It’s the same story, different day.

“Fifty percent of all business aircraft mishaps still occur during approach and landing.” The proportion of landing accidents, relative to other phases of flight, actually has increased, Breiling notes. That’s primarily due to a plunge in the percentage of accidents between the final approach fix and runway threshold because of the availability of vertical guidance on more ILS, WAAS and FMS approach procedures.

What galls Breiling is the apparent lack of attention on the part of many pilots to the root causes.

“Nothing is being done about it. There also has been a marked increase in single-pilot, owner-flown landing accidents in single-engine turboprops and light jets.”

Single-pilot twin turboprops also suffer a significant number of loss-of-control accidents, runway light misidentification causing off-pavement landings, CFIT mishaps and inadequate pre-flight of fuel quantity remaining. Breiling believes that many of the accidents involving N‑registered airplanes are the result of the FAA’s not requiring aircraft type-specific pilot training and qualification in most light generation aviation turboprops.

I can only wish my wife will look like that when she's 57...

Sorry, what were we talking about?

Back