Cessna Citation X... is it certified for one crewman?

777Pilot

Is this aircraft certified for one man cockpit operation? I am aware that some of the smaller learjets are :cool:.

Citation X is a two man crew....no doubt.

The only Single Pilot business jets I know of are some of the Citation 5 series, not Lears. And in many cases for insurance reasons it was less costly to have another pilot on board than paying the higher Single Pilot premiums.

I fly with a guy that was part of a group of test pilots that performed a 6 month evaluation to see if the Lear 25 was suitable for single pilot operations. The consensus; hell no.

Even Chuck Norris wouldn't fly a lear single pilot. He'd roundhouse kick the aircraft until it would fly him zero pilot...

-mini

How would someone get SIC experience/checkout in a X? Are there some pilots certified single pilot? Flight test pilots?

Could someone give a thorough rundown on how this type of stuff works?

*If it matters: No flight safety, etc. was involved....

How would someone get SIC experience/checkout in a X? Are there some pilots certified single pilot? Flight test pilots?

Ideally you would be hired as an SIC and trained as such. The X is a two person aircraft, as previously stated

Bare minimum would be three takeoffs and landings from the right seat with a typed CA with no passengers on the airplane.

Arnold Palmer flies his own X with another pilot.

I fly with a guy that was part of a group of test pilots that performed a 6 month evaluation to see if the Lear 25 was suitable for single pilot operations. The consensus; hell no.

The 20 series got a bad rap because it was a very hot airplane COMPARED to what was out there at the time. The -23 was indeed a hot rod and you could peg the VSI up or down and there were not a lot of other clues about what the airplane was doing. And so you had some fliers who had little to no jet experience climbing into a machine that handled, climbed and landed like many military jets. The truth was.. fly the Lear 23, 24 and 25 by the numbers and they were really quite honest airplanes.

Bill Lear had originally hoped for single pilot ops but the FAA said NO WAY. Some of the early -23s had switches and panels set up within reach of the left seat to facilitate single pilot ops. But it was not to be. And considering the time, it was probably the right decision.

On the other hand, the Citations are quite easy to fly and anyone who can remember to keep the Citation below 200kts in the pattern can learn to do a reasonable job with the airplane. The Cessna engineers accomplished a great feat designing an airplane where you have to screw up and PERSIST at it to really get yourself in trouble.But..then some pilots are very creative and persistent ;)

Back