Cessna Citation X... is it certified for one crewman?

No learjets are.

All the 500 series citation except for the Excel can be flown single pilot. The Premier can also be flown SP.

Jack Roush (Roush-Fenway Racing) flies his Premier 1, 2-3 times weekly single pilot. I watch him do it from our flight line at YIP. He is based in a hanger we lease to him.

RD

The 20 series got a bad rap because it was a very hot airplane COMPARED to what was out there at the time. The -23 was indeed a hot rod and you could peg the VSI up or down and there were not a lot of other clues about what the airplane was doing. And so you had some fliers who had little to no jet experience climbing into a machine that handled, climbed and landed like many military jets. The truth was.. fly the Lear 23, 24 and 25 by the numbers and they were really quite honest airplanes.

Bill Lear had originally hoped for single pilot ops but the FAA said NO WAY. Some of the early -23s had switches and panels set up within reach of the left seat to facilitate single pilot ops. But it was not to be. And considering the time, it was probably the right decision.

On the other hand, the Citations are quite easy to fly and anyone who can remember to keep the Citation below 200kts in the pattern can learn to do a reasonable job with the airplane. The Cessna engineers accomplished a great feat designing an airplane where you have to screw up and PERSIST at it to really get yourself in trouble.But..then some pilots are very creative and persistent ;)

What would be so difficult about 20 series single pilot ops, if at least the cockpit was set up for it? Make the requirements more stringent, if that's needed; but single-pilot turbojet ops isn't that difficult. You and I both flew the -38, and we didn't kill ourselves single-pilot.

yep, its a 500 something citation;)
Uh...not sure what you're saying here.

The 500 series is the CE-500 type. The Cj is the CE-525 (in this case, CE-525S) type. They aren't the same. They both can be flown single pilot. I think you're on that page, but I haven't heard a Cj referred to as a "500 something" citation.

Ooh...ooh...I heard the eclipse can be flown single pilot too. Cirrus, Piper and Diamond are supposed to have some single pilot jets coming out. AFAIK Embraer's Phenom is single pilot.

-mini

Uh...not sure what you're saying here.

The 500 series is the CE-500 type. The Cj is the CE-525 (in this case, CE-525S) type. They aren't the same. They both can be flown single pilot. I think you're on that page, but I haven't heard a Cj referred to as a "500 something" citation.

Ooh...ooh...I heard the eclipse can be flown single pilot too. Cirrus, Piper and Diamond are supposed to have some single pilot jets coming out. AFAIK Embraer's Phenom is single pilot.

-mini

Yeah same page. What I tried to say is that any Citation that starts with a 5 can be done SP except for the Excel. I know about the separate types and stuff. I guess I tried to explain it in too few words.

I don't know what ever happened to the eclipse with single pilot. I know the intention was there, but it seemed that the operating rules changed once a week. The cirrus, diamond and piper jets are all supposed to be single pilot once certified.

Yeah same page. What I tried to say is that any Citation that starts with a 5 can be done SP except for the Excel. I know about the separate types and stuff. I guess I tried to explain it in too few words.
Raja. Owe ya a beer.

I don't know what ever happened to the eclipse with single pilot. I know the intention was there, but it seemed that the operating rules changed once a week.
AFAIK, it was single pilot. I know a guy who's typed in it...I'll ask.

-mini

The Eclipse type is just like the Citation type rating. You can either get the EA-500 or the EA-500S type rating. The S stands for single pilot. The Sino Swearingen SJ-30 will be the most interesting single pilot jet IMO.

Alex.

Totally forgot about that one. Transcon on a single pilot jet. :panic: I hope the provided headset comes with a cord and a PTT switch that will reach the crapper.

Ooh, good point.

I can do about four before the little yellow light pops on.

Totally forgot about that one. Transcon on a single pilot jet. :panic: I hope the provided headset comes with a cord and a PTT switch that will reach the crapper.

"Center, request permission to leave frequency to get wx"

:D Gotta be creative!

The Eclipse type is just like the Citation type rating. You can either get the EA-500 or the EA-500S type rating. The S stands for single pilot. The Sino Swearingen SJ-30 will be the most interesting single pilot jet IMO.

Alex.

You do realize the SJ-30 was in development at the same time as the original Cessna CJ and not one SJ-30 has been even certified yet. And it was originally planned to be in market BEFORE the CitationJet?

two weeks ago i was flying home and had to sit up front and after a bottle of water and some laughs i was thinking seriously about using the head. well the fa must have been reading my mind because she called up to ask if anyone had to use the restroom. the ca and fo look at eachother and say nope we are all good. i must have had the look of a first grader on my face because the fo didnt even ask and said the js had to go. i dunno how you can hold it for 6 hours! jeez at least it is a good excuse to get up and stretch a little!

You do realize the SJ-30 was in development at the same time as the original Cessna CJ and not one SJ-30 has been even certified yet. And it was originally planned to be in market BEFORE the CitationJet?

Yes I am farmiliar with the project. It is my understanding that the airplane has been certified and they have already delievered atleast one airplane, although I think they have made three delieveries.

Alex.

Ideally you would be hired as an SIC and trained as such. The X is a two person aircraft, as previously stated

I believe the SIC training requirements for aircraft that require a PIC type are in 61.55. Check it out, pretty basic stuff. More than just the landings though.

I stand corrected. The FAA website shows 5 airplanes on the registry. Meanwhile there is the CJ, CJ1, CJ2, CJ3, CJ4 and the PLUS variations.

The early study done in Professional Pilot Magazine said buyers liked the SJ's numbers but were very concerned about maint and support. Buyers were willing to give up some performance for reliability, support and parts.

I stand corrected. The FAA website shows 5 airplanes on the registry. Meanwhile there is the CJ, CJ1, CJ2, CJ3, CJ4 and the PLUS variations.

The early study done in Professional Pilot Magazine said buyers liked the SJ's numbers but were very concerned about maint and support. Buyers were willing to give up some performance for reliability, support and parts.
Think about all those eclipse owners right now.

I don't think anyone will take the side that the SJ30 is a more successful aircraft than any of the C525 series. There are flaws with the SJ30 and I highly doubt it will ever see the success I wish it would. Last year we were in the market for a single pilot jet, the SJ30 was not on my list.

Alex.

I don't think anyone will take the side that the SJ30 is a more successful aircraft than any of the C525 series. There are flaws with the SJ30 and I highly doubt it will ever see the success I wish it would. Last year we were in the market for a single pilot jet, the SJ30 was not on my list.
Alex.

Swearingen had a proposal back in the 70s for a small SSBJ with wings shoulder mounted. Never left paper. He knows how to design fast, quick airplanes. Getting them to market is another hurdle altogether.
One report I read noted the wing is a VERY complex design just asking for a lot of maint. I could be wrong...

Back