Cargo companies in the northeast

"Money and capitalism drive behavior, if it isn't illegal and companies are willing to undertake the effort than so be it."

The problem with this attitude is that, if it follows it's logical course, you'll eventually have to pay to train at (to qualify for the job at)....the dream job of your choice. This lowers the career expectations for all those searching for the dream job. By lowering the career expectations of the entire group you produce revenue for the airline. Airlines, of course, love this, and could care less about YOUR career expectations.

It's all just good business, but as a professional pilot to be, is this the sort of thing you want to see in the industry? I know I don't.

Would you mind emailing your eaglejet ad to doneikenberry@hotmail.com I have a friend about to attend Amflight ground school and they my be interested in what Eaglejet is saying in their ads.

[ QUOTE ]
Grasping at straws a bit, aren't we?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. This is what we call an analogy.

analogy - n 1: an INFERENCE that if things agree in SOME respects they PROBABLY agree in others 2: drawing a comparison in order to show a similarity in SOME respect; "the operation of a computer presents and interesting analogy to the working of the brain"

Here's a basic flaw in what you guys are giving me flak about. I wasn't looking for loggable experience. The companies I was asking about don't even use FO's so who's job would I be taking? As a matter of fact the PIC actually would have made an additional $5/hour during the process. Not sure but they probably wouldn't have minded to have me along for the ride. I wasn't looking for loggable experience someone else would have gotten paid to do. I was looking to pay some money to have some experience just as if someone was doing background work for a book or a movie - gain exposure to a life that I have not been lucky enough to experience first hand. That's why I used the space travel analogy.

I don't need to tip anything in my favor. I by nature am not antagonistic. That's not what this is about. An opinion is just that - an opinion. Nobody's counts more or less than anyone else's.

Ever give thought to this? In a business were margins are razor thin and companies go out of business everyday, maybe it's OK for a company like that to make a little extra revenue by "renting" out an otherwise unoccupied seat. Maybe it will keep them operating a little longer in the black so that their in business long enough for you to be employed in the left seat.

Well, I am about to take plunge for career change at age 35.

I see what you try to do. It would be cool if you are just taking the rides for experiences. I would like to see and feel freight dog's life myself.

However, if you pay your money for loggable hours or jobs, you would make the rest of us look really really bad.

Think about your current job, if someone come into your office and talk to your boss - "I want his job and I am willing to pay for it." You can imagine what would happen to you - you would be let go.

adreamer

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a basic flaw in what you guys are giving me flak about. I wasn't looking for loggable experience. The companies I was asking about don't even use FO's so who's job would I be taking?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK then...you're instrument and commercial multi rated, right? Go rent a Baron or something, go out to the airport at 9pm, climb in, and fly 6 or 7 legs until 4am. Repeat for 5 nights. Then you can log it and its real, hands-on, PIC flight time.
smile.gif

By the way, I know what an analogy is, thanks. I might not be Einstein, but I have a grasp on the english language. I was pointing out that it wasn't a very good one, in my opinion.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ever give thought to this? In a business were margins are razor thin and companies go out of business everyday, maybe it's OK for a company like that to make a little extra revenue by "renting" out an otherwise unoccupied seat. Maybe it will keep them operating a little longer in the black so that their in business long enough for you to be employed in the left seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an interesting way of thinking, but as you pointed out earlier most cargo companies can make more from selling space for freight than selling the seat for experience. If they're not selling the cargo space, I don't think selling the seat is gonna help them that much in the long run.

I see what you're saying, though. It's not really PFT, so that's probably a bad term to use in this context given its history. The point made about people paying for PFT was that the more people that do that, the more companies will focus on it as a way to cut costs and make some extra money. Let's face it, the airline and cargo execs are not out for our well being but for their shareholders' and owners' well beings. If they realize pilots will pay THEM for the privelege of flying, many companies will stop hiring right seaters period. Then that just becomes another cost in the growing stack of bills to become an airline pilot.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I am about to take plunge for career change at age 35.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best of luck to you. Its a big step.

[ QUOTE ]
However, if you pay your money for loggable hours or jobs, you would make the rest of us look really really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Think about your current job, if someone come into your office and talk to your boss - "I want his job and I am willing to pay for it." You can imagine what would happen to you - you would be let go.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a way it happens all the time in corporate America - outsourcing, layoffs, being replaced by someone who is junior to you by age and salary because the company needs to cut expenses. It sucks all around. That's why, as I've stated, that I don't agree with pft either as a means to a job.

[ QUOTE ]
OK then...you're instrument and commercial multi rated, right? Go rent a Baron or something, go out to the airport at 9pm, climb in, and fly 6 or 7 legs until 4am. Repeat for 5 nights. Then you can log it and its real, hands-on, PIC flight time.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
grin.gif

Back