Career Path for Major Cargo Airliners

UPS and FedEx are considered top tier cargo airlines based on pay and relative career security. It takes a lot more than 1500 hrs to be considered for employment. Based on my experience most folks who are competitive have 3-5000 hrs tt with at least 1000 jet PIC from either past military or 121 time. Heavy jet time is a big plus and almost a requirement based on our last new hire class.

All my flight time and experience was civilian and no pure jet time when I was interviewed and hired by UPS. Keep in mind this was back in 1988 and all commuter airlines were flying turboprops not jets. Even though I had several thousand hrs multi turbine PIC in '88, I probably wouldn't have qualified for an interview now based on our last new hire class quals.

Times change and needs change. Luck and timing are everything in this business.

My sense of it is that UPS and (especially) FedEx reaslistically require 121 or mil time. Which is kind of a kick in the teeth to small freight guys, but there it is. The two guys I know who work for UPS both flew for ExpressJet. Guys like dasleben probably did it right...get that heavy time.

My sense of it is that UPS and (especially) FedEx reaslistically require 121 or mil time. Which is kind of a kick in the teeth to small freight guys, but there it is. The two guys I know who work for UPS both flew for ExpressJet. Guys like dasleben probably did it right...get that heavy time.

Indeed it is and it's annoying. SHOULD be: "Oh, you've got some flight time and years under your belt with no accidents, incidents or violations. Are you a jerk? No? Ok, here's your jerb." 95% of the time every airplane flies like every single other airplane under the sun. The remaining 5% is what training is for. HR wants what they want I guess...

I worked for UPS (working in a warehouse) for 5 years in Nashville, Tn and when I was getting my pilot ratings I called the flight department to see what it would take for me to become a pilot for the company... They told me I would basically have to work for a regional for several years, but since I worked so long for them they would give me reduced mins to get an interview..

There was a lady from AMF who was hired at UPS about 5 years ago. She was a brasilia captain. There is another gal I know of that was hired at Fedex within the last year or so who was convair captain and had some 72 time. Her dad flies there though. I was in the running to recieve a 757 type scholarship there a couple of years ago....but thats was when they were furloughing pilots and the pilot group found it strange that they could afford to give out scholarships while, at the same time, furlough. So they canned the scholarship program for a while.

Just trying to keep hope alive. :)

I would love to work for UPS, about to retire as a Navy pilot, 3000 hours, 1800PIC, carrier pilot (read over water), multi-engine experience, etc but from what I understand, I'm very average. I don't know any UPS guys down here in Kingsville, we have most FEDEX as far as cargo flyers go.

Just trying to keep hope alive. :)
I've always heard that single pilot Metro PIC is a good skillset and I'm looking at a Metro upgrade here soon. That said it seems that in this hiring environment you need to have something beyond that to get looked at by the Majors.

For myself, I'd love to get on with a lower tier 747 ACMI carrier, like Southern or Evergreen that transits ANC a lot, beyond that looking at places like USA Jet and Kalitta Charters (727s), although if the right gig in ANC called I'd have to think long and hard about it. Some place like NAC or Everts with the right upgrade potential, or a Metro gig there and use that as a platform to network.

I'm curious where you guys see AMF Metro guys end up, last few guys out of here went to Pt 91 corporate gigs or medevac. One went to another Metro gig closer to home.

I would love to work for UPS, about to retire as a Navy pilot, 3000 hours, 1800PIC, carrier pilot (read over water), multi-engine experience, etc but from what I understand, I'm very average. I don't know any UPS guys down here in Kingsville, we have most FEDEX as far as cargo flyers go.
Hey, at least you're average. ;)

And if you have to settle for Purple tails, I mean, gosh, that's rough. :sarcasm:

UPS and FedEx are considered top tier cargo airlines based on pay and relative career security. It takes a lot more than 1500 hrs to be considered for employment. Based on my experience most folks who are competitive have 3-5000 hrs tt with at least 1000 jet PIC from either past military or 121 time. Heavy jet time is a big plus and almost a requirement based on our last new hire class.
Well, I'm hoping some turboprop PIC plus right seat jet time gets a look eventually. I'm the better part of a decade away from being able to apply though.

Times change and needs change. Luck and timing are everything in this business.
No doubt guys like you and DE were very lucky in getting hired on when you did, although I imagine the Majors might have looked very tempting in the mid 90s.

One guy (JC member) is in the pool at Allegiant right now. One of our 1900 guys went to flexjet. Quite a few have gone corporate. A brasilia captain's going to JetBlue. They've pretty much been going everywhere. From international freight and passanger to air ambulance.

I would love FEDEX!!!!! I am going to apply to them and we'll see how it goes.

Why the stated preference for UPS though. I've heard almost all the other way - FedEx as the choice, but would be thrilled with UPS. You seem the opposite. And outlier. You're dangerous. But seriously - do you just like brown suits, or is there a family/personal tie to UPS?

I would love to return to the days of bottom feeders like me getting hired at UPS. Bottom feeders are low maintenance and usually have experienced more variety on their way up the food chain of aviation. This variety provides a broader aviation background as opposed to, say, a space shuttle pilot. The space shuttle guy is great in a Sully scenario, but does he know how to turn the lights on in Maui at night? I'd rather have the low maintenance guy who knows what a cruise clearance is than the space shuttle guy, any day.

I would love to return to the days of bottom feeders like me getting hired at UPS. Bottom feeders are low maintenance and usually have experienced more variety on their way up the food chain of aviation. This variety provides a broader aviation background as opposed to, say, a space shuttle pilot. The space shuttle guy is great in a Sully scenario, but does he know how to turn the lights on in Maui at night? I'd rather have the low maintenance guy who knows what a cruise clearance is than the space shuttle guy, any day.

I would love that too. The general public still think that pilots who work for "cargo outfits" like UPS and Fedex are hoping to make it big in the majors one day and fly people. For whatever it is worth, on my last UPS jumpseat the FO was a RJ driver.

One thought though - maybe 1 out of 800 of us will make it to UPS/Fedex who try. We should all enjoy the ride while we're trying to get there. Being content is all about perception.

I would love that too. The general public still think that pilots who work for "cargo outfits" like UPS and Fedex are hoping to make it big in the majors one day and fly people. For whatever it is worth, on my last UPS jumpseat the FO was a RJ driver.

One thought though - maybe 1 out of 800 of us will make it to UPS/Fedex who try. We should all enjoy the ride while we're trying to get there. Being content is all about perception.
The odds aren't that bad, its mostly a function of how hard you are willing to hustle. People get comfy in their mediocre jobs.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Never said you shouldnt try to get there, or that you should get comfy in a mediocre job. All I was suggesting is that it is important to find happiness while you're in your current situation.

The general public still think that pilots who work for "cargo outfits" like UPS and FedEx are hoping to make it big in the majors one day and fly people. For whatever it is worth, on my last UPS jumpseat the FO was a RJ driver.

I've lost count of how many folks have ask me if I ever thought of becoming a "commercial" pilot or an "Airline" pilot. Whatever..doesn't even phase me anymore and besides, I don't want the pay cut. Just not important enough to me to even try to correct or educate them. Back in the day as a relative new hire 727 FE, not one of us was over the age of 30. Capt was 29, FO 28 and I was 26. We arrived at our destination and got on the hotel van with a Braniff crew already seated. The lead flight attendant was probably old enough to be our mother. After a few minutes this flt attendant pipes up and asked who we flew for and what puddle jumper we were flying around? My Capt told her UPS and a B727. She seemed a little perplexed as if she was wondering how these "kids" were allowed to operate a big jet around late at night.

She then wanted to know (because her boyfriend was working on his private license and would need a flying job) if UPS required a multi-engine and commercial rating to get hired (you know...we were just a freight outfit and all). The Captain in his best Forest Gump impersonation told her that he tried but couldn't ever pass that "dadgum" multiengine checkride without crashing and what's this "commercial" rating you speak of? I could see her Capt's reflection in the window as he was staring outside trying to contain his embarrassment and muffled laughter at her questions. As we got out of the van at the hotel the Braniff question leaned into my Capt and aplogized and said, "I'll educate her later and oh, BTW...is UPS hiring? I think he's flying here now.

One good thing about UPS is they hire a very diverse group of pilots. We have a good mix of civilian, military, corporate and bush misfits and we all pretty much seem to get along. Where else can you have an ex Blue Angel sitting next to an Alaskian Bush pilot or maybe an older SR71 or B58 pilot flying with a snot nose commuter kid. Great stories, great time. Can't honestly say someone's background makes them any better pilot than the guy sitting next to them. It's mostly an individual thing. Some folks are naturally better than others regardless of their background. Some have a love of aviation and are always learning and flying on their days off while others can't stand airplanes anymore and it's just a pay check.

I have to say that while I've had the great privilege to fly with some fantastic pilots of varying backgrounds, most of the consistently sharper ones have come from a Regional airline/commuter or night freight background. Maybe it's the type of flying we do and the procedures we use or the fact that many are younger and learn faster. IDK...just non scientific observation and polling on my part.

Why does UPS hire just military guys with heavy jet experience in one class and just Regional and Corporate guys in the next? Who knows? The needs of the company at the time I guess. I personally would not have a problem flying with someone with just relatively light turboprop experience (King Air, Metroliner etc..). If someone is sharp they'll learn and adapt pretty quick to the bigger jets. Hell, that was my background! I had NEVER flown a pure jet prior to UPS. I had NEVER been exposed to full motion simulators prior to UPS. My first time in a simulator was the interview at UPS! They gave me a chance when other majors did not. Since then I've been a Sim/IOE instructor on two different aircraft types here and I'm certainly no gift to aviation or the ace of the base by any stretch.

My point being in all this rambling is DO NOT consider yourself out of the race simply because you think no one will look at your resume because you don't have "Heavy Metal Driver" stamped on your license. Keep plugging along, be persistent and keep climbing that aviation ladder. The journey IS more rewarding than the destination. My best times in aviation, looking back because I didn't realize it then, were the stepping stones along the way to my current job. Believe it or not I almost quit several times along the way due to frustration. While jumpseating on a USAir flight when I was with Chautauqua (Metro capt) and feeling totally dejected about my future career prospects or lack thereof, the Capt on the flight gave me a great pep talk that fueled my fire and within a year UPS hired me. You just never know what's around the corner.....

Back