Career Path for Major Cargo Airliners

WheatonPilot68

Are there any major Cargo haulers(FedEx, UPS, etc.) that can give me insight on a career path that could put me the major cargos?. I'm going through my ratings on my own(No military, no aviation university). I plan on getting my com-Multi, single add-on, and CFI, MEI, CFII all within the next two years. Then instruct until 1500TT. Has anyone made it withought military experience that can tell me what they did to get there? Also what is the QOL like? Any benefits like 121?

I know nothing of this part of the Aviation Industry and just want some insight on the career. Any help or a day in the life story would be awesome.

Thanks
Nathan

Last time UPS hired, they wanted overwater experience. That was because new hires were going to ANC right seat in the MD11 or B747-400. Plus, UPS can ask for whatever they want and get it. So, go get some overwater time in a -400 and you'll be right in there. Point being, it takes years of baby steps working your way up to even get the quals UPS was asking for.

I could tell you how I got there but it would be totally pointless as it won't ever be like that again. Best thing you can hope for is to get in on the ground floor of the new company that comes along to kick some butt in the cargo biz.

I'm curious how it will look when all the majors are hiring. Finding over water experience would be tough in the flood of RJ drivers.

2nd year F/O pay is 145K at UPS. I don't think they will have much trouble.

With pay like that, you just might as well go to Key Lime... And the nerve of them trying to have high standards for pilots and pay like that... Just another grungy bottom feeder. ;)

2nd year F/O pay is 145K at UPS. I don't think they will have much trouble.
Time to go apply to Connie, Evergreen, Southern, National, etc....

Two questions: what are your thoughts on the anti-UPS sentiment from line pilots on APC?

And all things being equal (or perhaps even not) does already living in ANC have any merit in the hiring process?

The few same guys who post at APC represent about .4% of our pilot group. Our in house message board can be just as bad but you still have to consider the 5%er factor. For every guy who is a vocal complainer there is a guy that bleeds brown. The other 90% of us in between just do the job, try to keep a low profile, and try not to let things get to us. Anyhow, the last place I'd look for good intel when it comes to UPS is APC. And you are right about the Evergreen's and the Kalitta's. Good places to get the experience to get noticed. As far as ANC, don't think it would help get the interview but it would be a good thing to bring up at the interview that would help you make your case. But it's hard to say. If they were smart they would just hire guys that already live there and want to stay.

If they were smart they would just hire guys that already live there and want to stay.
That's what I'm sayin'!

Thanks for the info. I had sorta come to the same conclusion regarding APC but it's always good to have a more intelligent viewpoint.

I'm curious how it will look when all the majors are hiring. Finding over water experience would be tough in the flood of RJ drivers.

If they open up hiring in the future, there is no shortage of over-water, very well-qualified guys with internals that will flood in. Just think of ABX, Astar, ATI, Evergreen, World, etc. etc. etc.

I want DE727UPS to get me an interview. I once flew a Mooney 205 from Houston to Panama City and cut across the Gulf - so over-water is covered. I've got lots of Aeronca time. Don't mind going anywhere and look good in a brown suit. What are my odds?

I did TPA to PNS in a C172 once. Over-water sure, but I'd qualify that for the idiot award for sure looking back at it! Though it was summer time and I can destroy sharks and alligators!

I'm inclined to think that UPS just plain likes well rounded guys?(ie, pilot factory CFI->regional need not apply)

Back