career in a regional??

Well said, John! I couldn't have said that better myself, so I won't. Except that Republican part. **BLLECH**
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I agree with everything but the Republican.
smile.gif

Seriously, I don't feel pilots will ever be paid what they deserve. If they were, airlines would lose more money than they are now. I don't think teachers will ever make what they deserve either, but for different reasons. The point I was trying to make earlier was that you can live well on $60-100K (well, not THAT well) if YOU DON'T GO TO EXCESS. If I had gotten a job that paid that right out of college (well, college age anyway) I would have done exactly that and regretted it the rest of my life. Now that I've struggled by on poverty wages for about a decade, I know what I need to do. Do I enjoy living from paycheck to paycheck? Hell, no. Do I think it's something everyone should do for the life experience? Absolutely. And working a poverty level job while still getting money from your parents does not count.

[ QUOTE ]
Do I think it's something everyone should do for the life experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with that. I think that everyone should learn some responsibility. You and I may have had to live in poverty to learn that ; doesn't mean that everyone has to learn it the same way.

I don't want my children to ever have to eat Ramen noodles if they don't want to. I see no problem with them not spending one dime of their own money on college. That's my job (IMHO). Our deal is they bring home good grades, and I spot them the tuition, books, dorm room (no apartments...that's a luxury that they can pay for....
wink.gif
), car insurance and medical insurance. They can pay their own car payment, should they choose to have one.

Three things:

1) Pilots need better pay across the board.
2) Profit sharing is huge.
3) There are lucrative careers, then there are rewarding ones. They are not necessarily the same.

[ QUOTE ]
There are lucrative careers, then there are rewarding ones. They are not necessarily the same

[/ QUOTE ]

Very meaningfull and true statement!!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want my children to ever have to eat Ramen noodles if they don't want to

[/ QUOTE ]

That I can agree with, but I'll probably do the same thing my parents did. When I turned 18, they covered college (they made the grade deal with me), my car, car insurance, and a dorm room. Anything else was up to me. As a kid (18-25 being a "kid") I thought I was a very responsible person, but I couldn't handle money to save my life. I'm hoping I can get the responsibility beaten (not LITERALLY) into my kids before they leave for college.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why a career in a regional airline until retirement is viewed as a dead end job? As a captain you get relatively good pay and benefits aren't that bad, right?

Seems pilots look at regionals the way CFIIs look at instructing...

[/ QUOTE ]

To pilots it's all about size. When you are a young pilot with no experience, an RJ looks pretty nice compared to a C172. If you spend 38 years in a 70 seat RJ...it could get pretty depressing taxiing out in front of a B767-400ER.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have some pilots at my company who have been around since the beginning of time,
cool.gif
, and never went to the next step of flying. They probably avg 16-18 days off everymonth, top 15 at the comapny, and depending on the base, can be home everynite if they chose. Their pay is 6 figures, just over 100,000. I too can see how flying an RJ could get old, but I can also see how taking risk to fly something with 75 more seats might not be a good idea. . Some of them have never really cared how many seats where behind he door. And I guess it just wasnt worth it to some to give up so much to make some more money and fly a few more passengers. Or even having the possibilty of having some type of normal life with their kids being home most nights was something they wanted more.

Just something to think about.

But isn't that the American way? You do take a inherent risk to move up, but if we were all about comfort and stability, we'd still be a colony of a rapidly decline British empire.

Personally, I'm at the point where it doesn't matter if I've got 12 or 142 pax behind the locking cockpit door, the issue is that I've kind of been everywhere domestically and my only saving grace is getting to international ops when my seniority permits.

And I'm one of the more positive people when it comes to an aviation career.

And just how far away are you from being able to hold NYC 767-300 intl and how hellish would THAT commute be?

I've got to think that JFK would be a lot more your speed that Hotlanta though.

When you upgrade to international ops, how long is the training process to go from the MD-88 to 767-300ER with the new equipment procedures and over water training?

Three or four weeks I think.

It's more or less basic 767 school with international training + long range NAV. I do know that if I was stuck flying the mad dog domestically the rest of my career, it'd be about time to start looking heavily at TruckMasters.

[ QUOTE ]
Seggy, is your avatar the Duomo?? I loved Florence!

MF

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is! I got back from Florence a few weeks ago. My friend is studying abroad there and I visited him for Spring Break. It was amazing!

We climbed to the top of it and the view from the top was unbelievable.

What did you do while you were there? What bars/clubs did you hit up?

[ QUOTE ]
Three or four weeks I think.

It's more or less basic 767 school with international training + long range NAV. I do know that if I was stuck flying the mad dog domestically the rest of my career, it'd be about time to start looking heavily at TruckMasters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug have you been watching Top Gun Again
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is! I got back from Florence a few weeks ago. My friend is studying abroad there and I visited him for Spring Break. It was amazing!

We climbed to the top of it and the view from the top was unbelievable.

What did you do while you were there? What bars/clubs did you hit up?

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously have confused me with someone cool.

I went for spring break my third year of law school (1999 -- jeez that's getting to be a long time ago!!). 3 days in Florence; did not visit any clubs/bars. Spent the whole time looking at art and history -- museums, churches, castle-thingys, etc. I LOVE history. So I was all over visting the Medici buildings, Duomo and stuff like that. The food's pretty awesome too!! But no clubs.

Me:
crazy.gif
confused.gif

Not me:
cool.gif

MF

I'm doing 757/767 school now. Passed my oral yesterday. Even had the FAA sit in on it as it was the check airman's first ever oral.

It's going to be about 7 weeks from start to finish of IOE. That will include a three days of long range nav/ETOPS ground school and one day of ETOPS training in the FBS (a non-motion 767 sim). We have 757 Pratt, 757 Rolls, and 767 at UPS....so it gets confusing having to learn the differences.

Guess I'm in the last class where F/O's won't get a type rating....no long trips as an International Relief Officer for me. Looks like I'll be stuck doing day trips out of my home town and home almost every night...what a shame....

Don't know when I'll reach "domestic burnout", but I'll be happy to fly GEG-DFW day trips as long as they last.

It's not about how much money you make, its how you go about using it!
Don't work for money, make money work for you!

"And I'm one of the more positive people when it comes to an aviation career. "

I really wish more people approached their job with a positive attitude. I flew with a captain the other day who was quite possibly the most depressing, negative human I have ever met. As soon as the door was closed it was non-stop complaining about unions, management, overnights, company policies, blah blah blah. If I never fly with him again it will be the best thing going. I am a firm believer that life is what you make it. If you don't make an effort to improve your attitude you will automatically gravitate towards the negatives. So the original question was could you be happy as a career regional pilot? I think you could be happy as a career cfi if that is what you wanted. Its just as easy to decide to focus on positives as it is to be a disgruntled, bitter person. As for the money, yeah its not the best but no matter how much you make you will always have money issues. And the last time I checked we don't go to our grave with our savings account so why worry. Just my 2 cents.

Back