Captain

Speaking with a BCP very recently that was specifically pointed out as not OK
that’s interesting, so where’s the line? do you have to be x hours away from your base at all times during a rap? via car or bike or walking distance?

it’s definitely risky but if the pilot didnt have any late shows or no shows why does the company care where you are?

that’s interesting, so where’s the line? do you have to be x hours away from your base at all times during a rap? via car or bike or walking distance?

it’s definitely risky but if the pilot didnt have any late shows or no shows why does the company care where you are?

I can't clarify because I'm not a BCP but the example was PDX-SEA. I think the issue is when the system melts down for whatever reason, fire at ops, computer crash etc. the flight you were sure you could jumpseat on is full or isn't going.

Pilots being out of place on RES is bad, but if they didn’t try to run so thin on reserve pilots this wouldn’t be a problem.

Which bases?

There is only one day this week in my base where reserves are below required.

If you don't show up for work, you should get fired.

Which bases?

There is only one day this week in my base where reserves are below required.

If you don't show up for work, you should get fired.

I’ve noticed an uptick in premium in my base and seat, which leads me to wonder if scheduling has really figured out how they should allocate SC zones the day prior. While not technically short of reserves, we are running at a minimum number in order to keep a maximum number of low ALV lines.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I generally agree. However, in certain commutes it’s has definitely become pretty commonplace to sit reserve away from base. GEG comes to mind. While openly it may not be condoned, it would appear tacit approval has allowed it to go on for decades.

Considering the number of pilot CANX yesterday people need to sit short call in base. Or get fired if you don't show up. I'll gladly move up the seniority list.

July there will be more reserves? Since the ALV is higher?

Considering the number of pilot CANX yesterday people need to sit short call in base. Or get fired if you don't show up. I'll gladly move up the seniority list.

July there will be more reserves? Since the ALV is higher?

Don’t misunderstand me. If you’re on short call, you need to be in base. The fact that even needs to be said is….shocking.

There’s more block hours system wide in July, so naturally ALV will increase. Not sure about other bases, but mine the projected line holders was the same as June.

Maybe not *soooooo* thin, but since all reserves start as long call it seems like there’s less short calls to fill in the gaps.

Maybe not *soooooo* thin, but since all reserves start as long call it seems like there’s less short calls to fill in the gaps.
I don’t know how that can be when literally every LC-C reserve gets converted their first day on and there is no limit to the number of conversions per pilot.

The company fumbled and now they are trying to blame the pilots. No you failed to convert enough and manage staffing levels. Mets is a tool and that email shouldn't have been sent out.

I've been a captain for a little over a year and actually planning on keeping my seat seems like an extremely financially foolish thing to do at this point.

Sure, we should always try to live below our means, but the sky is indeed not falling

So as a captain in the seat for over a year do I live below my means as a captain or an FO? Do I get my leaky roof fixed? Replace the car I have had since 2005?

I'm still below my means as an FO but it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

Yep. Just speaking from the LAX dudes in my class who are on reserve, and the CAs in my pad, all day they just plan to get converted on the first day every time.
I was assuming reserves didn’t get used much because it’s actually going rather senior here.

Well it is summer time and you are in the mothership.

Edit: I’m also in a well staffed category which I’m sure makes a big difference.

The FO I’m paired with was just snagged for another 2 days. So yeah typical Seattle but I’m not really seeing things being particularly overstaffed.

I guess some bases have all the luck.

Back