Captain thoughts, one year completed (almost)

Not recommended in the SAAB either. Push the power levers past 64 degrees and the engines go to 100% TQ, as soon as you pull the power levers back the TQ setting drops to where the power levers are set.

Aroo? Do you guys not turn off the CTOT? OR are we talking about an approach situation where you would have turned it back on at some point for some odd reason? I don't recall exactly, but I think we only used it for takeoff and not landing.

Not recommended in the SAAB either. Push the power levers past 64 degrees and the engines go to 100% TQ, as soon as you pull the power levers back the TQ setting drops to where the power levers are set.

I'm a little rusty on my SF340 systems as well, but that is not 100% correct. The engines would only go to 100% on a missed approach is if they were fire walled (not recommended) or the CTOT switched was turned to ON/APR and the setting was set to 100% (recommended). Furthermore, SAAB recommends the power levers be within 15-20% of the value on the CTOT panel before engaging the system. The CTOT system also is automatically disengaged below 64* on the power levers. Consequently, the system is reactivated by advancing the power levers above 64*.

From this, it sounds like your operation is flying approaches with the CTOT system set to ON/APR during a normal two engine approach.

Huh? I might be a little rusty on my SF340 systems knowledge but I don't recall the 64 degree switch = 100% torque.... unless perhaps y'all run with the CTOT engaged the entire flight.

It doesn't. I hope they are not running around with CTOT armed the entire flight. If I remember correctly, if the CTOT is left on beyond the initial climb out, the engines will start surging as the DECU tries to maintain the selected torque value on the CTOT panel as the engine torque decreases as the aircraft climbs. We actually had that happen to one of our aircraft.

Aroo? Do you guys not turn off the CTOT? OR are we talking about an approach situation where you would have turned it back on at some point for some odd reason? I don't recall exactly, but I think we only used it for takeoff and not landing.

We used it for only takeoff and in the event of a missed approach from near/at minimums. I can't think of any approach situation where I would want the CTOT on during the approach itself.

Hahaha. Well thats what I get for typing that while tired. We dont fly with the APR armed. We set the CTOT to 100% or whatever our reduced power setting would be for that takeoff. I was referring to a scenario where you had gone missed and engaged the CTOT, but then chopped the power to land.

I was referring to a scenario where you had gone missed and engaged the CTOT, but then chopped the power to land.

Should never even be considered a scenario to think about.

Once you've gone missed, there is no option to land. Especially since the flaps should already be in transition by that point.

Should never even be considered a scenario to think about.

Once you've gone missed, there is no option to land. Especially since the flaps should already be in transition by that point.
Exactly. But I was referring to the original comment about going around then chopping the power.

Hahaha. Well thats what I get for typing that while tired. We dont fly with the APR armed. We set the CTOT to 100% or whatever our reduced power setting would be for that takeoff. I was referring to a scenario where you had gone missed and engaged the CTOT, but then chopped the power to land.

Only been off the Saab for a couple years but I don't recall ever arming the CTOT or APR on an approach. It was a good gotcha if you forgot to turn it off after takeoff...

And Airbus people get berated for our TH LOCK system. :)

lol...

Only been off the Saab for a couple years but I don't recall ever arming the CTOT or APR on an approach. It was a good gotcha if you forgot to turn it off after takeoff...

lol...
We dont arm it. The PM keeps his/her hand on the switch and the PF will push the PL forward and call for max power, flaps 7 or 20.

...Which no one ever sees if you're doing it right...

tumblr_myr78rTEli1qmj83do1_400.gif

Bandit_Driver said:
Only been off the Saab for a couple years but I don't recall ever arming the CTOT or APR on an approach. It was a good gotcha if you forgot to turn it off after takeoff... lol...

Agreed. I remember setting the CTOT to a percentage for the Go-Around as part of the Descent checklist. That's where things got interesting if you left the APR armed, I think.

Agreed. I remember setting the CTOT to a percentage for the Go-Around as part of the Descent checklist. That's where things got interesting if you left the APR armed, I think.

If you left the CTOT in ON or APR, it got interesting a long, long time before the Descent Checklist...

Derg, thanks for posting your thoughts. I was asked a few weeks ago to take upgrade in November and I did. I'm not sorry I did, after all, I'm at a regional and you're expected to be Captain someday. And, as someone else posted, it's what I need to scrape some of the crap from my resume. Besides the whole self-improvement and challenge aspect of course. I'm glad to have the age and level of experience from the right seat that I do, 135 and 121 as I feel it's a slightly different perspective than if I was closer to 30 and not nearing 40.

Upgrade is what I need to move on in a lot of ways and although I don't get on here enough, I appreciate everyone's insight when I do.

Back