Captain thoughts, one year completed (almost)

They wouldn't tell me in training, so I asked the IOE captain.

It's funny, they want on time, but they want low "latency" (the time between 'OUT' and actually moving).

Corporate Workgroup "A" wants that brake released and beacon on at <D-0
Corporate Workgroup "B" doesn't want you on the payroll until you're actually moving.

Methinks A & B need to get together and realize operating jets costs money.
It gets even more complicated/there is additional butthurt when workgroups C, D, and E, all outsourced, get involved.

It’s been a lot of fun, a crap-ton of work and mostly rewarding.

This is free-flow writing, may be a little disjointed, but here it goes.

One thing I learned over the past year is that I spend a lot of time referring to the “Good Captain Book” and the “Bad Captain Book”. Whenever I have a dilemma, I’ll look into the “Good Captain Book” (GCB) and wonder “Hmm, what would a good captain do in this situation” and always look into the “Bad Captain Book” (BCB) to see what guys who I thought were on the dark side would do. I eventually discovered that sometimes the “GCB” guys were actually doing what was popular and not necessarily correct and the pilots in the “BCB” were making a tough decision and were actually doing what was right. But the overwhelming item I learned is that it’s really best to have a framework of a decision, expand you team and see if the other crewmember is in sympatico with your conclusion. If they are, and for semi-congruent reasons, charge forward. If they’re not, wind the clock and look deeper at the issue or expand your aperture to understand the persons perspective. But at the end of the day, you need to put on your big boy pants and make a damned decision based upon the scientitic method (somewhat) and after careful consideration of the information at hand.

One item I learned is that there is much more psychology involved that I realized. I had a short stint as captain at Skyway and, for the most part, by the time I got off IOE, I was giving my two weeks notice because I was resigning to go to Southernjets. On one hand, I wish I had more experience because I wouldn’t be learning lessons now, in command of a 150-passenger jet with four other crewmembers that I probably could have learned when it was just me and another kid flying around a Beech 1900. But on the other hand, I had a deep pool of mentors, fellow captains and first officers that I could bounce delimmas off of and a great support network.

Oh yeah, psychology.

I’m on a senior mid-seniority airplane in a mid-seniority base. A lot of my first officers are older than I am, far more experience in Airbus products than I do and overall fantastic pilots. However there are a very that delve, somewhat, into ageism and every once in a while, spend an inordinate amount of time setting the tone that I’m not fresh off the turnip truck, but we each bring a unique experience to the cockpit.

Micromanaging isn’t part of my repertoire. We have a fantastic training department and I’m confident enough to realize that there are eight ways to skin a cat in the cockpit and that my first officer is going to do what is appropriate for the given situation. Some first officers who have been micromanaged for most of their careers come to the cockpit expecting it and when I give them the brief about not being “that guy” and if I have questions about something, I’ll certainly ask questions and we will discuss it and I expect the same from them if I “get creative”. 97% of first officers appreciate this approach, but then there are the 3% that misconstrue that as weakness. And then you have to work through that.

You have to know who you’re flying with. And this is a true story. Flying to Chicago Midway, the first officer hadn’t been in the cockpit for that long, relative new hire, was unsure about shooting the GPS approach and I offereed him the approach so that way I could monitor flight path and airspeed, kind of “coach” him through the arrival and approach, throw in a few tips here and there under the auspices of “learn by doing”. He did a fantastic job, caught all the “gotchas” along the approach path, got it stopped with plenty of runway left and I said, “Good job! Great situational awareness, airspeed control, stabilized on script, see, it’s not a problem”.

Now on the ride to the hotel, he said something that confused me: “You’re not very nurturing”.

Wot wot WHAT?! Did I agree? Nope, I think I gave a sufficient debrief and spoke in calm, positive language, but it’s something I took to heart. I am comedically sarcastic without even knowing it and many people will interpret that as assholery so it gave me pause.

The back of the cabin. This has been a challenge. Some will listen to the new crew brief, many weren’t. Some appreciate when you talk to them about flight time, ride conditions, to have a seat if they feel the turbulence is unsafe and to call me up front and I will make a PA about my decision to end cabin service, and other ones just stare at you because you’re in the way of them browing the various “I hate pilots” Facebook groups. But I brief. I try to hit the basics and spend more time on things that are going to make the cart go zero-G. Some of them are going to hate your guts off the bat, most are cool and others think you’re Dr. Phil.

I’ve also had to give “The Chat” a few times, which is awkward, because it’s usually the result of someone with limited information making rushed, rash decisions.

You can be frustrated, angry, direct and friendly, all at the same time.

Never feel guilty about making an inconvenient decision especially when it’s the most prudent course.

People have a lot of respect for the stripes and the scrambled egg, but will lose it the moment you lose your cool or you forget that they come with the responsibility to actually act as a leader.

Never call your dispatcher frustrated. He (or she) is probably just as frustrated as you and always have a couple solutions in your back pocket. Be the captain and expand your team.

There is never, ever a stuck chock. They want you to release the parking brake because it shows an “OUT” time and some will slow down because the pressure is off for an on-time departure.

If you yell, you’ve lost.

If you’re getting yelled at and you’re not “corrective” about it with the person doing the yelling, you’re making it harder on the next guy who probably isn’t going to be so nice about it. There’s nothing wrong with, confirming the parking brake is set,removing the person from the airplane and having a “jetway chat” about negative comportment.

You can’t know everything. Be humble about what you know and the same about things you don’t and you will foster CRM.

People expect more out of you and speak to you very differently. It’s both wonderful and thought provoking. You feel like you finally have a voice on the larger scale. But on the other hand, I’m the same guy I was 12 months ago.

Do I miss international? Somewhat. I certainly don’t miss being a first officer. It was simpler, easier in the right seat but I was also extremely bored. Domestic is a lot of fun, especially as captain and there’s a little more money involved, but each additional dollar, it seems, comes with a knife fight. Either I’m handling passenger issues, irregular operations, making “feedback-less’ decisions (was I right? was I wrong?), family life sacrifices, well, every extra dollar is certainly earned the hard way.

Ultimately, upgrading to 320 captain was the best “mistake” I’ve made professionally.

But I could certainly use more time at home and a vacation.
Nice post! Upgrade over here at Beachball Express is probably coming up sooner than later, and it's struck me lately that, holy hell, I might actually be in charge of a 767 by the time I'm 32-33. And really, the last time I actually signed a logbook, it was on an airplane that weighs 405,000 less lbs than the one I currently fly. I feel after my current 5 years throwing gear on the thing, I'm ready. However, there'll be a hell of a learning curve.

But, if @Polar742 can do it, I guess I can too. We're at about the same level of general hackery.

We all wax poetic about being ready to upgrade from the standpoint of sitting in the seat and operating the jet, but we sometimes fail to recognize the external components of the job that encompass all aspects of the airline world and the complexities associated with said seat. I know I'm ready for the seat, I'm not sure I'm ready for the accessories. Dammit if I ain't excited to learn them though. Remind me to re-read this when the day finally comes.

Cheers.

Nice post! Upgrade over here at Beachball Express is probably coming up sooner than later, and it's struck me lately that, holy hell, I might actually be in charge of a 767 by the time I'm 32-33. And really, the last time I actually signed a logbook, it was on an airplane that weighs 405,000 less lbs than the one I currently fly. I feel after my current 5 years throwing gear on the thing, I'm ready. However, there'll be a hell of a learning curve.

But, if @Polar742 can do it, I guess I can too. We're at about the same level of general hackery.

You'll be fine. If I can pass upgrade at 2 different companies on 3 different types, anyone can. Even you.

Then again if I'd have held off 6 months I could have just stayed on the whale. [Sad trombone]

Not exactly.

It's more about how the sandwich only is edible if it gets made a certain way which requires each person to do their job the way they are supposed to and that you telling somebody to do their job has nothing to do with your opinion of them but rather that you need for that sandwich to get made.

My apologies.... I fail at humor.... again.

If you’re getting yelled at and you’re not “corrective” about it with the person doing the yelling, you’re making it harder on the next guy who probably isn’t going to be so nice about it. There’s nothing wrong with, confirming the parking brake is set,removing the person from the airplane and having a “jetway chat” about negative comportment.
Events elevate to having to have a jetway chat? That must be some serious oil in the water of the cockpit environment.

I don't think it's cockpit environment. It's something that makes me glad I fly freight. And to thinks my career goals were Alaska or United.... Man was I lucky in so many ways.

I don't think it's cockpit environment. It's something that makes me glad I fly freight. And to thinks my career goals were Alaska or United.... Man was I lucky in so many ways.
Ah yes. The pax I flew were usually too big to get out of there seat to cause much of a problem or didn't speak English.

I thinking Flight Attentents with an attitude. Not like that could happen...
I rode with some downright hilarious ex-Cons the other day who not only had the 'tude, but also gave great service despite it (and not just to my "riding free" butt). So there's that :)

I just upgraded and waiting to start IOE. Flying the plane is easy. Looking forward to the psychological part of it!

Good read. I just finished my oral today for upgrade. And having only been in the right seat only a year and change, it's really nice being able to read and hear what captains have to say about their job. Really helps expand my approach on items and thought process.

Hey, chocks actually do get stuck! Had it happen a few times, and had it discovered on push back a few times. Good stories with the second one.

Last edited:
Now on the ride to the hotel, he said something that confused me: “You’re not very nurturing”.

Nurturing? That word was used?

The Rock says, he's a candyass.

but each additional dollar, it seems, comes with a knife fight. Either I’m handling passenger issues, irregular operations, making “feedback-less’ decisions (was I right? was I wrong?), family life sacrifices..............

.....a MEC trying to sell you a lemon, etc, etc. :)

@Derg I'm impressed you slipped expand your team in there. Did you build your nest and bid what you want and want what you bid first? Technique only. Keep your backpack on.

Good read. I just finished my oral today for upgrade. And having only been in the right seat only a year and change, it's really nice being able to read and hear what captains have to say about their job. Really helps expand my approach on items and thought process.

Yeah, but you've been around for a while, haven't you? The airplane operating part comes as you ingest it, but the psychological part is a combo of many different things, of which I think you might have a leg up on, if you have worked for different companies.

It’s been a lot of fun, a crap-ton of work and mostly rewarding.

This is free-flow writing, may be a little disjointed, but here it goes.

One thing I learned over the past year is that I spend a lot of time referring to the “Good Captain Book” and the “Bad Captain Book”. Whenever I have a dilemma, I’ll look into the “Good Captain Book” (GCB) and wonder “Hmm, what would a good captain do in this situation” and always look into the “Bad Captain Book” (BCB) to see what guys who I thought were on the dark side would do. I eventually discovered that sometimes the “GCB” guys were actually doing what was popular and not necessarily correct and the pilots in the “BCB” were making a tough decision and were actually doing what was right. But the overwhelming item I learned is that it’s really best to have a framework of a decision, expand you team and see if the other crewmember is in sympatico with your conclusion. If they are, and for semi-congruent reasons, charge forward. If they’re not, wind the clock and look deeper at the issue or expand your aperture to understand the persons perspective. But at the end of the day, you need to put on your big boy pants and make a damned decision based upon the scientitic method (somewhat) and after careful consideration of the information at hand.

One item I learned is that there is much more psychology involved that I realized. I had a short stint as captain at Skyway and, for the most part, by the time I got off IOE, I was giving my two weeks notice because I was resigning to go to Southernjets. On one hand, I wish I had more experience because I wouldn’t be learning lessons now, in command of a 150-passenger jet with four other crewmembers that I probably could have learned when it was just me and another kid flying around a Beech 1900. But on the other hand, I had a deep pool of mentors, fellow captains and first officers that I could bounce delimmas off of and a great support network.

Oh yeah, psychology.

I’m on a senior mid-seniority airplane in a mid-seniority base. A lot of my first officers are older than I am, far more experience in Airbus products than I do and overall fantastic pilots. However there are a very that delve, somewhat, into ageism and every once in a while, spend an inordinate amount of time setting the tone that I’m not fresh off the turnip truck, but we each bring a unique experience to the cockpit.

Micromanaging isn’t part of my repertoire. We have a fantastic training department and I’m confident enough to realize that there are eight ways to skin a cat in the cockpit and that my first officer is going to do what is appropriate for the given situation. Some first officers who have been micromanaged for most of their careers come to the cockpit expecting it and when I give them the brief about not being “that guy” and if I have questions about something, I’ll certainly ask questions and we will discuss it and I expect the same from them if I “get creative”. 97% of first officers appreciate this approach, but then there are the 3% that misconstrue that as weakness. And then you have to work through that.

You have to know who you’re flying with. And this is a true story. Flying to Chicago Midway, the first officer hadn’t been in the cockpit for that long, relative new hire, was unsure about shooting the GPS approach and I offereed him the approach so that way I could monitor flight path and airspeed, kind of “coach” him through the arrival and approach, throw in a few tips here and there under the auspices of “learn by doing”. He did a fantastic job, caught all the “gotchas” along the approach path, got it stopped with plenty of runway left and I said, “Good job! Great situational awareness, airspeed control, stabilized on script, see, it’s not a problem”.

Wot wot WHAT?! Did I agree? Nope, I think I gave a sufficient debrief and spoke in calm, positive language, but it’s something I took to heart. I am comedically sarcastic without even knowing it and many people will interpret that as assholery so it gave me pause.

The back of the cabin. This has been a challenge. Some will listen to the new crew brief, many weren’t. Some appreciate when you talk to them about flight time, ride conditions, to have a seat if they feel the turbulence is unsafe and to call me up front and I will make a PA about my decision to end cabin service, and other ones just stare at you because you’re in the way of them browing the various “I hate pilots” Facebook groups. But I brief. I try to hit the basics and spend more time on things that are going to make the cart go zero-G. Some of them are going to hate your guts off the bat, most are cool and others think you’re Dr. Phil.

I’ve also had to give “The Chat” a few times, which is awkward, because it’s usually the result of someone with limited information making rushed, rash decisions.

You can be frustrated, angry, direct and friendly, all at the same time.

Never feel guilty about making an inconvenient decision especially when it’s the most prudent course.

People have a lot of respect for the stripes and the scrambled egg, but will lose it the moment you lose your cool or you forget that they come with the responsibility to actually act as a leader.

Never call your dispatcher frustrated. He (or she) is probably just as frustrated as you and always have a couple solutions in your back pocket. Be the captain and expand your team.

There is never, ever a stuck chock. They want you to release the parking brake because it shows an “OUT” time and some will slow down because the pressure is off for an on-time departure.

If you yell, you’ve lost.

You can’t know everything. Be humble about what you know and the same about things you don’t and you will foster CRM.

People expect more out of you and speak to you very differently. It’s both wonderful and thought provoking. You feel like you finally have a voice on the larger scale. But on the other hand, I’m the same guy I was 12 months ago.

Do I miss international? Somewhat. I certainly don’t miss being a first officer. It was simpler, easier in the right seat but I was also extremely bored. Domestic is a lot of fun, especially as captain and there’s a little more money involved, but each additional dollar, it seems, comes with a knife fight. Either I’m handling passenger issues, irregular operations, making “feedback-less’ decisions (was I right? was I wrong?), family life sacrifices, well, every extra dollar is certainly earned the hard way.

Ultimately, upgrading to 320 captain was the best “mistake” I’ve made professionally.

But I could certainly use more time at home and a vacation.

A lot of things you mentioned hit home with me. I'm merely about to fly my 1st hour on the 145, tomorrow, but while reading, I found myself thinking about my time in the left seat on the 1900. People tend to judge you, regardless of your performance and/or intent and the dynamic of being a new/unknown CA can get interesting, to say the least. Well, it can be at a smaller airline, anyway.

I know what you're saying about the GCB and the BCB. Luckily, I think (I think) I've flown with the right amount of good ones who know how to manage the environment well, to learn a valuable lesson on Command. I keep thinking, "what would SoandSo do," because I remember how tactful said CAs were about what they wanted from me. I didn't always agree, but felt real good about how things played out. If I can leave the Flight Deck genuinely saying "let's do this together again, soon," regardless of the circumstances, I know this one needs to be on my "advice list". Do I enjoy flying with good natured CA, who might not measure up well in non-personality categories? Sure, but I've had enough rough days with those individuals to know that fun is not at the top of my list, anymore.

Thanks for sharing your 1st year, Doug. I've learned a lot just by reading about your experiences. This is yet another reason I'm thankful I stumbled over this site 9 years ago.

Interesting read....

I was a CA for about 6 years at my regional and am now a ' bus FO. Sometimes I wonder if I want to upgrade at my current shop. If I hadn't been a Captain for long before I most certainly would. Knowing what I know now I'm less enthusiastic about it.

Right there with ya! If it weren't for the pay raise, I probably would've passed a lot longer than I did. But, I'm not getting any younger and my retirement needs funding!

Back