Captain thoughts, one year completed (almost)

O-M-G! So you're telling me that Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars didn't create funk?

Aye dios!

I'm guessing you don't need this but there may be some youngster that doesn't know you are joking. I saw Ben Harper at the Greek in Berkeley. The Meters opened up for them. My friends who drove us up from Santa Cruz had no idea who the Meters where but forgot who Ben Harper was about 1/2 way through the Meters first song.

Oh...the only reason I jokingly wrote it the way I did was because I thought for sure that the #1 item would be "PROF"! Not intuitive and a lot of button pushing compared to what I was used to.

On the topic of blowing through the localizer, I haven't seen that yet, but we saw a puzzling maneuver a few days ago. Fully established on a LOC and G/S at about 3000'. All of a sudden, it cranks itself into a 30 degree bank to the left...we were on a visual and no traffic around so we did let it go just a couple seconds to see what it's plan was, and apparently, the plan was...off to the races or something...definitely not anywhere near the localizer, or even the airport. Our heading was 20-30 degrees left of the localizer in calm wind when we turned it all off a moment later.

PROF isn't too bad once it's engaged. Getting it engaged (correctly) can be a bit of a trick though. I've had it start climbing up to the last altitude in the box before. I've had it start down before hard fixes before. I've also had it change altitudes to totally random numbers before. That's fun.

Odd with the loc thing. I think sometimes it either forgets what the current winds are, or inserts erroneous data for the winds and starts following that.

and Gutter is a tool....

Richman

PS "Gutter" went on to direct "Iron Man' IRL...

PPS OK, how is it that someone mentions "p-funk" and all of us reflexively reference a bit movie from 1994? That's TWENTY ONE years ago. Sigh...

You win a beer.

Yeah, but you've been around for a while, haven't you? The airplane operating part comes as you ingest it, but the psychological part is a combo of many different things, of which I think you might have a leg up on, if you have worked for different companies.

This is my first part 121 gig. I finished my upgrade today and the inspector emphasized setting a slow pace. I guess he didn't like me slamming the throttle during go around. Oh well I'll learn when I get on line.

This is my first part 121 gig. I finished my upgrade today and the inspector emphasized setting a slow pace. I guess he didn't like me slamming the throttle during go around. Oh well I'll learn when I get on line.

Most of the people who tell you that you need to slam the thrust levers forward and declare in grandiose fashion, that you are going around, are the ones who think every go-around is an urgent situation. Yuck

Most of the people who tell you that you need to slam the thrust levers forward and declare in grandiose fashion, that you are going around, are the ones who think every go-around is an urgent situation. Yuck

Or habitually do it and later realize that they went around early in the approach and were already above the missed approach altitude. Oops. Just food for thought.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Very, very few reasons to rush the thrust levers. The engines are going to spool up at the same speed no matter how fast you push them forward.

Sigh...I should have been a music major
I shoulda made that once in a lifetime deal to fly coke back from MDE to MIA.
F77Loc3.jpg

Or habitually do it and later realize that they went around early in the approach and were already above the missed approach altitude. Oops. Just food for thought.

I make a specific point on every briefing that you should only select TOGA (go around mode) on fifi if two conditions are satisfied: the flap handle is out of zero AND you're looking up to the missed approach altitude. Otherwise take a few breaths, slow down, and game it.

Yeah, agreed. Most of the "go arounds" that I did on the Brasilia were "approach clearance cancelled, track the localizer and climb and maintain..." which, at 2000' above the field, didn't necessarily mandate the full "ERMAHGERD BALLS TO WALL FLAPS FIFTEEN" effort. Heading, flight level change (set Vfs...) and flaps up on the F-bug ain't gonna hurt anyone if you're at a similar altitude in this airplane.

Yeah, agreed. Most of the "go arounds" that I did on the Brasilia were "approach clearance cancelled, track the localizer and climb and maintain..." which, at 2000' above the field, didn't necessarily mandate the full "ERMAHGERD BALLS TO WALL FLAPS FIFTEEN" effort. Heading, flight level change (set Vfs...) and flaps up on the F-bug ain't gonna hurt anyone if you're at a similar altitude in this airplane.
"Go around, expect long landing" not in your vocabulary on the bro zilla?

"Go around, expect long landing" not in your vocabulary on the bro zilla?
Not recommended in the SAAB either. Push the power levers past 64 degrees and the engines go to 100% TQ, as soon as you pull the power levers back the TQ setting drops to where the power levers are set.

Not recommended in the SAAB either. Push the power levers past 64 degrees and the engines go to 100% TQ, as soon as you pull the power levers back the TQ setting drops to where the power levers are set.

Huh? I might be a little rusty on my SF340 systems knowledge but I don't recall the 64 degree switch = 100% torque.... unless perhaps y'all run with the CTOT engaged the entire flight.

Back