CAPT AND ASA!!! EVERYONE DOUBTING TAKE A LOOK!!!

Re: CAPT AND ASA!!! EVERYONE DOUBTING TAKE A LOOK

[ QUOTE ]
If that figure was less than 1000, I'd seriously read the fine print......

[/ QUOTE ]

Subtract 600-700 hours.
blush.gif

I'm suprised the young,sharp flyboy wannabe's aren't looking at the Air National Guard. Free training, get to fly the coolest jets on earth and still maintain a civilian lifestyle.

Yeah, but you still need a college degree for the ANG. That takes too long, especially when XXX Academy says they can have you right seating in an RJ in 6 months.

I will submit this site without comment. Interesting information on the capt program however I am unsure if it is all true or not. Perhaps a good buyer beware however Interesting site

[ QUOTE ]
I will submit this site without comment. Interesting information on the capt program however I am unsure if it is all true or not. Perhaps a good buyer beware however Interesting site

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it is just someone who could not cut the mustard and flunked out. Would not be the first time a coward made anonymous accusations about a flight training department. Sounds like they are sucking their thumb! Beware of totally biased reviews. At least Doug calls it as he sees it!

[ QUOTE ]
Beware of totally biased reviews. At least Doug calls it as he sees it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Also be aware of flight schools (and other business) that make promises they can't fullfil. I'm not buying into ANY career track or accelerated program with the industry the way it is now. XJT can't hire like they have been forever. At some point, they're going to get enough 500 hour guys from ATP and stop hiring. Probably sometime soon. ASA's mins aren't even CLOSE to 1000 (as per a recuiter's conversation with JohnH), Mesa's furloughing or not hiring their interviewees from MAPD, Skywest will probably slow down when they pull out of IAH, and the rest are in the "slow growth" category with high mins.

Besides, CAPT has only gotten a small fraction of the people that have gone through their program the jobs that were advertised. If any more than they few people that were hired by ASA were hired by regionals, I'm sure CAPT would be crowing about it. Good news from this program is hard to come by, and I seriously doubt if a large percentage "flunk out" or "can't cut the mustard."

[ QUOTE ]

Also be aware of flight schools (and other business) that make promises they can't fullfil. I'm not buying into ANY career track or accelerated program with the industry the way it is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a few days ago, I was emailing a kid that asked my opinion about an accelerated program. There are a number of choices on how to 'get it done' in the real world.

He was hell-bent on an accelerated program at another school that came at a very high program cost. His rationale was that "Well, XXX airlines is hiring a lot of pilots, and if I get my ratings done real quick, I can get to XXX air, and probably get upgraded to captain quickly, get my 1000 hours of PIC turbine and go to UPS and start getting it paid back".

Whoah there sparky!

The industry is a dynamic environment and always will be.

Once upon a time, people were leaving UPS to go to work for United because of fast upgrades to captain and being ablet o fly the 777 in your first year. Then people were leaving UAL because Delta was the place the be. And then people were leaving Delta because American was the place to be.

Then 9/11 hit.

There was a large shift in flying from 737's and other narrowbodies to CRJ's and ERJ's which sparked all of the regional growth.

However, economics are shifting and the growth in the CRJ/ERJ sector is slowing, which means the concept of getting hired with sub-1000 hours and getting that quick captain upgrade is going to be a thing of folklore again.

Be smart. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst in this career.

If you rely on getting a job really quick, or holding your breath as an FO until you can get the captain upgrade, you're probably going to asphixiate yourself!
smile.gif

"get my 1000 hours of PIC turbine and go to UPS and start getting it paid back"

Be sure to tell these guys it's a lot more complicated than that. 1000 PIC is simply a minimum. You also need a recommendation from a line pilot (a mangement pilot is even better). I've heard we have 1500 applications on file from guys WITH RECOMMENDATIONS. Both guys I've recommended have a LOT more than 1000 PIC turbine and both are check airmen on the RJ....and neither have been called for an interview yet.

These kids that email you are feeding off the "big academy" marketing that make this career seem so easy. I wish there was something we could do about it.....

Good day all,

My name is Seth Beckhardt and I am a Flight Crew Training Instructor at the CAPT Program. I have been with the program for more than two years and have served in a variety of capacities within the organization.

As you have probably guessed, we have been monitoring the threads at JetCareers regarding the program and I've been given the opportunity to address the questions and concerns about the program. Two ground rules about any submissions or threads, I will not answer personal attacks on anyone at the program and I will not answer any questions about the recently settled lawsuit. Other than that everything is fair game.

With that in mind, feel free to ask me anything and I will answer (or debate) to the best of my ability.

Blue skies and tailwinds,

Seth

[ QUOTE ]
I'm suprised the young,sharp flyboy wannabe's aren't looking at the Air National Guard. Free training, get to fly the coolest jets on earth and still maintain a civilian lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the ANG units I have spoken too won't send you to UPT without being in the unit for a while first. The unit by where I live being one of them. When I spoke to them, they told me that they usually send 1, maybe 2 guys a year (50+ wihtin the unit usually applying) to UPT and they ALWAYS come from the unit first. The year I spoke to them, the candidate they were interested in sending currently was a Senior at Fresno State (we live in Fresno), was an Electrical Engineering Major, currently had a 4.0 GPA, and had been a member of the maintenance unit for 4 years (not to mention, I believe he was a crew chief on one fo the F-16s). IIRC, he was also a CFI in his spare time. You don't get much more well rounded then that, LOL! Maybe this base is just more stringent because it is all F-16s?

When I asked him how easy it was to walk off the street into the ANG and be selected to attend flight training he just laughed and said, "yeah, it's possible, but CERTAINLY not common, and impossible here unless we absolutely need a somebody and nobody else applies...which has never happened". The reason being they like to know you before they invest in you. Which is understandable. I'm sure all units are different though.

IMO, I still think going to college and getting your degree FIRST (so you can focus on training) is a good idea. Then going to a good flight school or FBO and eventually earning your CFI and becoming an instructor is the best route (for me anyways). Unless of course you can somehow get into a military flight training program through one of the Service Academies, ROTC, OCS, or maybe the Army if you don't have a college degree. Although, the Army does recommend a college degree to be competitive (as in, without one...there is a 99% chance you "ain't" going to flight school, unless you are prior service. lol).

I guess times could have changed in for the military the past few years, but they couldn't have changed that much with regards to flight training, could they? Does the ANG commonly just take people off the street now? I would be really suprised if they did, especially since I am sure there are guys in the unit who would love a pilot slot, not to mention the ROTC guys that may take an ANG contract. Why take a person off the street if you don't have too?

Have times really changed that mcuh? Is the ANG really that hard-up for people? If it is, I wish I was younger and had better vision!
grin.gif
insane.gif

I think CAPT is great. I do not think it is buying a Job. This is just a "new" approach for North America, I do not know why some people frown at it. Ever heard of British Airways Flight Academy or the Training they do at Martinair? This is so similar. Quite frankly, it is similar to the military way of doing things. Plus, CAPT is not for the weak at heart. This program is fast paced and rigorous. I think it is just another path to the cockpit. Some choose CFIing, some choose military and some choose CAPT.

I really hate to necropost, but while testing the search feature out, I ran across this gem. I wonder where the "CAPT is awesome" people are now?

Holy crap. I didn't even read the thread dates. I thought this was current...

Nah, I was tinkering with the search and came across the blast from the past.

Amber's going to be P.O.'ed. She detests necroposts you know. :oops:

I know. But I was just happy about seeing the search feature up and running again. You'll probably have to represent me during my clemency hearing! :)

Given that I was posting here back in '05, I'm curious...

What DID happen with all the CAPT guys?

You're a cold, cold man.

Well, the guy who took over CAPT was a guy that lobbied to have my ass fired because I told a kid that going to Comair Academy wasn't necessarily to work for Delta.

How did they think it was going to turn out? :)

Well, the guy who took over CAPT was a guy that lobbied to have my ass fired because I told a kid that going to Comair Academy wasn't necessarily to work for Delta.

How did they think it was going to turn out? :)

But being owned by Delta means everything!

Back