CAPT AND ASA!!! EVERYONE DOUBTING TAKE A LOOK!!!

Re: CAPT AND ASA!!! EVERYONE DOUBTING TAKE A LOOK

That's cool.

How did this guy get a bachelors in 2 years?

"
Andrew Coleman graduated from Saint Mary’s High School in Paducah, Ky. In 2003, he received a bachelor’s degree in aviation management and flight from Jacksonville University. He is president of a property investment and management firm."

no its not cool brian. What happened is that 3 people threw down a bunch of money and bought themselves a job. I hope they got a tube of KY with their certificates.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope they got a tube of KY with their certificates.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Kelly KY helps one take it reeeal easy (ummm so I have heard). From the sound of your distain you want them to take "it" with no KY!

-Matthew

hahaha, i knew you were gonna respond when i threw in the snide remark about KY.

[ QUOTE ]
no its not cool brian. What happened is that 3 people threw down a bunch of money and bought themselves a job. I hope they got a tube of KY with their certificates.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it they bought themselves a job? They paid all that money and got the flight training which got their requirements done in order to get hired. Just because people usually go the CFI way doesn't mean that other ways are wrong. This is theur choice, I'm sure their not complaining as they now have a job.

Did they waste a lot of money? Maybe. But it was their choice and it got them where they wanted to get.

they bought themselves jobs because if they hadn't dropped 80G's to purchase the worthless MD-90 type, paid for "flight experience" AKA sitting in the back seat observing, and flying around in ERAU's overpriced diamonds they would still be CFIing, banner tow, etc. like everybody else.

[ QUOTE ]
hahaha, I knew you were gonna respond when i threw in the snide remark about KY.

[/ QUOTE ]

....hehehehe!

I just wonder how long it will take these guys to upgrade? If ASA requires an ATP to act as PIC, it can take them a very long time.

You said it Brian! It is their decision and there is no reason to not just support them. Some of them probably took out loans that will take them their first 10 years in the aviation industry to pay off, but just like doctors, dentists and everyone else, the 80K that you pay, is just 25% of what these other careers will set you back after medical school.

You could even bring up the argument that people try to "buy" themselves an education. This is training. Common man, realize and what is it with the KY? Aren't we all grown up here?

WOW a wopping 3. Gulfstream has pushed out about 250.

Is it right? Yes and No.

Are they airline pilots? Yes.

Are they happy? Yes.

The bottom line is that both pfting and instructing work. It just depends how fast you want to get there.

The problem with PFTing is it's good for the individual, bad for the piloting career as a whole. You buy your way in and that works for you. Problem is, it gets management used to pilots being willing to pay for a shot at being a pilot. Next thing you know...that's gonna be the only way to get in the door. Paying your way in lowers the bar for the entire profession and makes a MOCKERY of it.

PFTing is like being a scab in my book....it's great for the individual but bad for the group as a whole. And what's bad for the group will eventually turn around and lower what YOU can expect from the career.

PFTing is part of the race to the bottom we are seeing in this industry. You wanna contribute to that?.....knock yourself out. Hope you enjoy the ride.

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with PFTing is it's good for the individual, bad for the piloting career as a whole. You buy your way in and that works for you. Problem is, it gets management used to pilots being willing to pay for a shot at being a pilot. Next thing you know...that's gonna be the only way to get in the door. Paying your way in lowers the bar for the entire profession and makes a MOCKERY of it.

PFTing is like being a scab in my book....it's great for the individual but bad for the group as a whole. And what's bad for the group will eventually turn around and lower what YOU can expect from the career.

PFTing is part of the race to the bottom we are seeing in this industry. You wanna contribute to that?.....knock yourself out. Hope you enjoy the ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeahthat.gif

Very well said.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It might be time for the FAA to issue an Airline Flying Certificate...that would require 3000 hours or so to operate anything over 15 seats for hire...any seat.

I get so embarrassed reading any aviation magazine these days...they all say become an airline pilot in 9 months or something. Hell, I couldn't land a cherokee consistently after 9 months. Very, very denigrating to the profession we all love.

[ QUOTE ]
Hell, I couldn't land a cherokee consistently after 9 months

[/ QUOTE ]

If it took you 9 months to learn to land a cherokee, you are probably not a candidate for ab initio training.

I'm confused. Somehow it's not a waste of bandwidth to advertise a already posted post on the same website?

Maybe it's the jet lag...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is so quick to jump on the PFT bandwagon. Did these guys pay ASA any money? From the little I know about the CAPT program (aside from it being an embarassment to ERAU) students simply go through the CAPT program and and then given interviews by various (in this case ASA) airlines. No money is exchanged between ERAU, the student, and said airline.

DCA/Comair Academy is the exact same thing!! Are they a PFT outfit? I'm sure no one has ever thought that about them, simply an expensive training school.

Now, if they must pay $xxx.xx for the interview and hand a check to ASA, then it'd be PFT. Otherwise, its just expensive (albeit good I'd assume) training with a bonus at the end. The school rakes in the money because of their airline connection (a la DCA).

I think CAPT is great. I do not think it is buying a Job. This is just a "new" approach for North America, I do not know why some people frown at it. Ever heard of British Airways Flight Academy or the Training they do at Martinair? This is so similar. Quite frankly, it is similar to the military way of doing things. Plus, CAPT is not for the weak at heart. This program is fast paced and rigorous. I think it is just another path to the cockpit. Some choose CFIing, some choose military and some choose CAPT.

[ QUOTE ]
they bought themselves jobs because if they hadn't dropped 80G's to purchase the worthless MD-90 type, paid for "flight experience" AKA sitting in the back seat observing, and flying around in ERAU's overpriced diamonds they would still be CFIing, banner tow, etc. like everybody else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-911, ERAU couldn't push enough 250-hour former ASA/ACA interns into ASA's/ACA's new hire classes. Would that (interning, graduating, then getting offered a job @ 250 hrs) be considered PFT?

Apparently it would in your mind....
rolleyes.gif

In my book those people just made good career moves. They're not lowering the industry standard. The CFI with 1200 hours would take the same job as the 250 hour pilot. You'll never convince anyone that the 1200 hour guy would hold out for a better job...especially a CFI or banner tower!

~wheelsup

Back