Cape Air and seaport airlines

Huh, I don't want this to come off the wrong way but I feel slightly uneasy about a company that took multiple candidates who geared up on the sim eval. I feel like that (no offense) would/should be one of the first blatant thing one could do at any interview that would result in the "thank you for your time but no thank you". But maybe I'm just sensitive since ALL I do IS sling gear. It should however be a great example like Avi8tor2 said of how I important attitude is in this industry. People always think I'm joking when I say any job I've gotten was based less on knowledge and skill, and more on good looks and charm. Lastly, my first gig after instruction was flying PC-12 on demand and scheduled and it was an amazing learning experience and introduction to everything. CFI'ing was invaluable but nothing beats actually doing the stuff you teach. TCCO14, look into Tradewind in CT/Caribbean if your looking, they always need guys and are a solid company.

Is SeaPort a good spot to build time for a regional? Wondering if CFI time looks better for a regional or flying a PC-12 or Caravan for a 135 operator for a few years? I imagine you time build (even as an SIC) rather quickly like CFI's? Contemplating applying here/other 135 carriers for FO spots or just completing CFI and try going that route.

Even as an SIC, would the time still look good to regionals? Some replies I've read for SeaPort date back a few years. I hear the industry is changing a bit so was wondering if the expectations are less for regionals that need pilots.

The regionals will take you whether you instructed for 1500 hours or flew passengers part 135 for how ever many hours to hit 1500 hours. The regionals have a large need for any qualified pilot they can find right now.

Huh, I don't want this to come off the wrong way but I feel slightly uneasy about a company that took multiple candidates who geared up on the sim eval. I feel like that (no offense) would/should be one of the first blatant thing one could do at any interview that would result in the "thank you for your time but no thank you". But maybe I'm just sensitive since ALL I do IS sling gear. It should however be a great example like Avi8tor2 said of how I important attitude is in this industry. People always think I'm joking when I say any job I've gotten was based less on knowledge and skill, and more on good looks and charm. Lastly, my first gig after instruction was flying PC-12 on demand and scheduled and it was an amazing learning experience and introduction to everything. CFI'ing was invaluable but nothing beats actually doing the stuff you teach. TCCO14, look into Tradewind in CT/Caribbean if your looking, they always need guys and are a solid company.
You had one job....
4ef3db3e8538967b6d3f5e8d0b124cef.jpg

Hey guys, checking in from Seaport ground school. Having a GREAT time. I promised a write up and will do so once training is over with. A lot of info is being covered so not a lot of free time to do anything but study.

You do hear the attitude is key, and its very important here. The head of HR even said, we can teach anyone to fly its all about customer service. Having said that they are very focused on safety. But one screw up isn't the end of the world. Within reasons of course. Drugs Alcohol are no bueno. Break a reg and have a good reason why and it isn't the end of the world. Learn the Ops rules and memorize the GOM. Have a great attitude and you'll go far.

Word is the big guys consider Seaport one of the best regionals to hire from. Lots of our guys go on to Fedex and Delta and get VFR direct for hiring with Seaport on the resume.

So far the CP is cool. Training is a lot of information but Noel is a good teacher and uses lots of humor to keep us awake. Yesterday was all paperwork stuff and ops sec. Today is part 91 review. Tomorrow we dig in to 135 regs. Definitely drinking from a firehose. So if you fall asleep you'll have a lot to catch up on.

One really neat thing is how much team work there is with the pilots. First day we had a lot of offers to help with study. Most of the flights today were on hold/canceled due to weather so we have a bunch of pilots sitting in on class helping out. Its really cool to hear all their individual perspectives on flying the line.

They are also very realistic. They know and are very vocal about Seaport being a stepping stone. But they want to make it an enjoyable experience.

Go
Hey guys, checking in from Seaport ground school. Having a GREAT time. I promised a write up and will do so once training is over with. A lot of info is being covered so not a lot of free time to do anything but study.

You do hear the attitude is key, and its very important here. The head of HR even said, we can teach anyone to fly its all about customer service. Having said that they are very focused on safety. But one screw up isn't the end of the world. Within reasons of course. Drugs Alcohol are no bueno. Break a reg and have a good reason why and it isn't the end of the world. Learn the Ops rules and memorize the GOM. Have a great attitude and you'll go far.

Word is the big guys consider Seaport one of the best regionals to hire from. Lots of our guys go on to Fedex and Delta and get VFR direct for hiring with Seaport on the resume.

So far the CP is cool. Training is a lot of information but Noel is a good teacher and uses lots of humor to keep us awake. Yesterday was all paperwork stuff and ops sec. Today is part 91 review. Tomorrow we dig in to 135 regs. Definitely drinking from a firehose. So if you fall asleep you'll have a lot to catch up on.

One really neat thing is how much team work there is with the pilots. First day we had a lot of offers to help with study. Most of the flights today were on hold/canceled due to weather so we have a bunch of pilots sitting in on class helping out. Its really cool to hear all their individual perspectives on flying the line.

They are also very realistic. They know and are very vocal about Seaport being a stepping stone. But they want to make it an enjoyable experience.

Good to see you are enjoying ground already! Take it all in and study, but make sure to just relax and maybe hit up Beale street on your day/night off.

I haven't worked at Cape since 2011 so I don't have any up to date information to share. I'll just say this- the fundamental skills I learned flying a (relatively) high performance piston twin, single pilot, in all sorts of weather from christmas winds to snowbelt icing gave me a foundation I continually fall back on. For comfort, reliability and in a lot of respects safety I'll take a single turbine over a piston twin any day. I flew PC-12's for a couple of years and think the world of the plane. But for real-deal stick and rudder flying that will translate to almost every multi-engine engine down the line I believe experience at a company like 9k is invaluable.

Maybe FedEx feeder and Delta Connection...
I must second this. Never heard of our pilots moving on to delta or fedex. I have heard empire (FedEx feeder) and compass(delta connection). You will definitely need to go to another regional for that multi time before you get looked at by ULCC's or majors. There was one guy who went right to Virgin, but had previous multi time prior to seaport.

I know it tastes really good, but slow down on the Kool-aid a bit there.

The only way there is a shred of truth to that is if maybe one of the first pilots they ever hired, 25 years go, went on to fly at about 5+ different companies afterwards in significantly more complex aircraft and got hired by Delta the other day. Of course he got hired by Delta because of his pc-12 time 152,000 years ago.

Well darn, can't edit my post to remove the offending info.

I have submitted myself for a flogging and ensured the source has received the appropriate 5 lashes.

Still having fun in a hurricane here so......:p

Learned all about MELs today. Whee!

Hey this is a place for both good and bad info. So please feel free to share. Seriously. If there is something we should know before committing to a year of playing Chewbacca.

Question....does Seaport let their SICs fly legs? Do they run off that style that airlines do where Capt. gets leg, then FO gets next leg, and etc.? Or are you literally just a PM 100% of the time.....

TCCO14, look into Tradewind in CT/Caribbean if your looking, they always need guys and are a solid company.
Looks nice. You think they'll hire an SIC with 250 hours? Their website says they're hiring PC-12 pilots and prefer to have 135 PIC mins....I would meet the minimum qualifications but I don't think I'm super marketable at my hours. I know a buddy at Seaport who said he would try to help me out and they just hired someone off 200 hours for SIC....So he said it could be done...but then again I feel like I'll need to be in the right place at the right time...

I would definitely like to try and get my foot in the door and talking to companies or something...form a relationship so when I graduate in a few months then they'll know who I am and etc. and maybe that will increase my chances? We had a grad do that last year for Ryan Air (alaska) and seemed to work out great for him...got the job a few weeks after graduation.

I am contemplating about working at one of these airlines or continue flight instructing until I get to the 1500 hrs magic number. Does anyone work or know how many hours a first officer usually flies on average per month at Cape air or Seaport airlines?

Thanks for your help!
One of my friends works at cape. He flew for them for around a 1000 hours. Said it was a great gig for time building. Feeling like your a airline captain. Flying a 206 if I'm not mistaken. Only pïłøt in the plane. He said it is a blast!

Back