Can we talk about dress codes?

It's not about your ability to do the job. It's about your perceived ability to do the job. It's just human nature. We are judged by our appearance, and a better appearance is interpreted more favorably. And if you think I'm wrong, think about the last time you went out looking to impress the opposite sex. How did you dress? How were the ones who caught your eye dressed?

As you say, first impressions matter, and and we all know you never get a second chance to make a first impression. The problem is we usually don't know when the opportunity for a first impression will occur. And if you make a bad first impression, it lessens the chance that you will get to make a second impressions.

Good or bad, right or wrong, fair or unfair, that's the way it is.
There’s a line where it’s not okay. Jeans and a collared shirt is becoming the new normal, which is fine. But I have to ask what’s your opinion on Southwest Airlines Dispatchers? Where they’re allowed to wear shorts from what I’m told and open toed sandals!

Billion dollar business deals happen all the time, in informal golf clothes. Perception is what you make it, you could add it’s what the company makes it. At one point UPS dispatched in full suits, that didn’t make anyone better at their job.

We don’t work together so it doesn’t matter but my general reaction is, don’t make your perception my problem, (applies to everyone). Some of the smartest people in an operations room are dispatchers, and when you look over and see jeans you’d be naive if your opinion changed. Maybe it’s a generational thing, I have no problem admitting that I’m a non-safe space millennial.
Also I wore jeans and a collared shirt on the first date with my wife sooo.

Once, a billion years ago when I was in the ministry, we had an annual District Conference to discuss business, strategy, etc. I served as a Conference Recording Secretary for aeons. One year, the Assistant District Superintendent made a long presentation about how the only “proper” dress for a minister representing the denomination was a long-sleeved, white shirt with button-down collars and a dark tie. A suit was preferable but a sport coat was OK in a pinch. Didn’t matter to him if it were 45 degrees or 90 outside, it was the ‘thing“ to wear.

That rubbed me the wrong way, and at lunch I didn’t eat but went to a local mall and found some great purple shorts and a shop that printed T-shirts: ORDAINED MINISTER (big letters) on the front and Volunteer Firefighter/Town Resident printed on the back, I read the morning minutes for approval by the delegates as the afternoon business session began - to a wildly mixed reaction.

Years later, at the 911 Center, we had no dress code at the beginning. Some wore jeans and sweatshirts. I chose slacks and a dress shirt with tie (to much mocking). I did it for me. In an initially unfamiliar world, I felt more confident and secure in formal dress; others chose differently. Within months we had job provided uniforms and there was no need for choice. It was something with which I felt comfortable and for which I was glad. Some people hated the uniform; I liked it. It is important, to me, to be “squared-away” for the job (and in appropriate other circumstances) because you never know who might show-up for a surprise visit.

Your mileage may vary, but I find personally that the clothes I wear make a difference. I wouldn’t dream of a first date in jeans and a t-shirt, but there may be a time for that on the second or third.

As always, YMMV.

There’s a line where it’s not okay. Jeans and a collared shirt is becoming the new normal, which is fine. But I have to ask what’s your opinion on Southwest Airlines Dispatchers? Where they’re allowed to wear shorts from what I’m told and open toed sandals!

Billion dollar business deals happen all the time, in informal golf clothes. Perception is what you make it, you could add it’s what the company makes it. At one point UPS dispatched in full suits, that didn’t make anyone better at their job.

We don’t work together so it doesn’t matter but my general reaction is, don’t make your perception my problem, (applies to everyone). Some of the smartest people in an operations room are dispatchers, and when you look over and see jeans you’d be naive if your opinion changed. Maybe it’s a generational thing, I have no problem admitting that I’m a non-safe space millennial.
Also I wore jeans and a collared shirt on the first date with my wife sooo.
Did you wear jeans to the wedding? Why not? :stir:

Back