Can we talk about dress codes?

Not even most of the time. Both of the operations I have been with, Jeans and a polo (not tucked in) are perfectly fine and even expected. During the work week even tshirts or hats with the company info are allowed at my current place. On the weekends.... Your mileage may vary.

Dang! Lucky! I’d love to be able to wear jeans (even a couple times a week), but nope!

I honestly don’t mind slacks and a polo though.

Do those not all have collars?

Nope

61ERpDGx-lL._UY606_.jpg

Last edited:
The thought that the better you look the more respect you earn is outlandish to me.
First, I don’t care if people from outside dispatch respect me and even in dispatch it’s case by case.
Second, it’s quite possible that if I’m respected less, I will be relied upon less, unlikely it matters at all but glass half full.
Third, the reality is that I can sit there and dispatch in literally anything and still share operational control with the crew and function in my job role without even the slightest issue.
If you don’t believe me, has anyone ever jump-sat cargo long haul international? After 45 minutes the crews don their lululemon or pajamas, no passengers, no management what’s the difference? As if they can’t fly the plane or I can’t dispatch wearing whatever.
I call shenanigans

The thought that the better you look the more respect you earn is outlandish to me.
First, I don’t care if people from outside dispatch respect me and even in dispatch it’s case by case.
Second, it’s quite possible that if I’m respected less, I will be relied upon less, unlikely it matters at all but glass half full.
Third, the reality is that I can sit there and dispatch in literally anything and still share operational control with the crew and function in my job role without even the slightest issue.
If you don’t believe me, has anyone ever jump-sat cargo long haul international? After 45 minutes the crews don their lululemon or pajamas, no passengers, no management what’s the difference? As if they can’t fly the plane or I can’t dispatch wearing whatever.
I call shenanigans
My thoughts exactly!!! Outside of a job interview or any other situation where first impression matter, what does it matter what you wear?

Of course you should still have some basic hygiene, but my ability to do my job isn't affected by whether or not I have a collar or a pair of slacks.

I call shenanigans
It can be really awkward when you are sitting there in sweats and the CEO walks in unannounced. Kinda makes you wish for that damn clip on tie.

My thoughts exactly!!! Outside of a job interview or any other situation where first impression matter, what does it matter what you wear?

Of course you should still have some basic hygiene, but my ability to do my job isn't affected by whether or not I have a collar or a pair of slacks.

The main reason I like a collared shirt is that it keeps the string from the ID lanyard from rubbing against my neck. We are allowed to wear sports jerseys on game days but I usually do not.

I have noticed that where I work the management types all seem to wear a dress shirt and dockers/khakis/chinos...no jeans or polo shirts for them. They don't wear ties though. As I have no management ambitions I go with the aforementioned polo shirt and jeans.

I suppose a "Southwest" level of dress code would be fun in the summer months, but I honestly don't mind wearing a polo shirt and jeans every day. They don't really care what kind of shoes we wear either as long as they're reasonably clean. Now if they ever try and take away our jeans, there would be mutiny.

It can be really awkward when you are sitting there in sweats and the CEO walks in unannounced. Kinda makes you wish for that damn clip on tie.

That concern only comes into play when the CEO gets in to work before I leave/at a reasonable hour.

Nothing like pulling past him in the parking lot coming in when I’m leaving in the early afternoon....

That concern only comes into play when the CEO gets in to work before I leave/at a reasonable hour.

Nothing like pulling past him in the parking lot coming in when I’m leaving in the early afternoon....
When I worked the late shift, we were visited Thanksgiving night by our new President who had just been put in place the week before. That was awkward when at least 1 individual in the OCC was sleeping. You just never know.

Other than misrepresentation, probably doesn't matter at all. ;)

Back