Can we talk about dress codes?

PapaMike

I know different airlines have different dress codes and definitions of specific dress codes, but is there a rule of thumb? For business casual, slacks vs chinos? Polos vs OCBDs? Oxfords vs derbies? Anything else worth noting?

I wear a shirt with a collar that I don't tuck in, jeans, and whatever for shoes. At another company we could do that but the shirt had to be tucked in. My rule of thumb is to be as comfortable and simple as the company policy will allow. I'm a dispatcher not a manager, not somebody dealing with customers, not somebody dealing with investors. I sit in a room full of other dispatchers, maintenance controllers (who live by their own code and wear whatever they damn well please), and a few crew schedulers. I don't honestly care, unless I am jumpseating, then I care because I'm representing the company in public and in front of customers. Only other exception is if management knows somebody important will be around and asks us to dress nicely, then maybe I'll tuck in my shirt, wear slacks, and not look like a bum.

I know different airlines have different dress codes and definitions of specific dress codes, but is there a rule of thumb? For business casual, slacks vs chinos? Polos vs OCBDs? Oxfords vs derbies? Anything else worth noting?
Business casual in dispatch = khakis (or some other word used to describe something similar) and a collared shirt. The only shop I'm aware of that has something more strict than this is UPS.

Airline prior to this: cargo shorts and flip flops with a ballcap were acceptable.
Current airline: jeans, collared shirt (polo) and comfortable shoes.
Next airline: cargo shorts, flip flops and ballcaps again.

Business casual in dispatch = khakis (or some other word used to describe something similar) and a collared shirt. The only shop I'm aware of that has something more strict than this is UPS.
UPS doesn't even do this anymore. UPS wears Jeans and a collared shirt (not even tucked in) now. The only somewhat strict rule they have is they don't allow athletic shoes. The men are even allowed to have facial hair now. This policy apparently changed about a year ago.

UPS doesn't even do this anymore. UPS wears Jeans and a collared shirt (not even tucked in) now. The only somewhat strict rule they have is they don't allow athletic shoes. The men are even allowed to have facial hair now. This policy apparently changed about a year ago.
Yeah, they tried to fight the untucked look for a while before just giving up. The facial hair is new since late summer, but jumpseating with facial hair is still a grey area. At the rate it's going though, within another year it should look like a room full of drunken lumberjacks..... Progress!

Depends on the day, either shorts or jeans, T-Shirt or collared shirt, Flip Flops, Sandals or shoes....

As long as it is not offensive, then there is no issue.

There was a time where some would show up in what looked like PJs

Pull over shirt with a collar and buttons. Pants or jeans and sneakers. Some people wear shorts, t-shirts and caps. Way back when some people even wore flannel pajama pants.

Relaxed for anyone in the SOC.. Jeans, athletic sneakers, t-shirts (as long as it has no branding if not company branding). Managers and above is a bit more strict.

Operations: Dress pants, collared shirt, and dress shoes at the minimum.
Not even most of the time. Both of the operations I have been with, Jeans and a polo (not tucked in) are perfectly fine and even expected. During the work week even tshirts or hats with the company info are allowed at my current place. On the weekends.... Your mileage may vary.

Back