Calling aircraft by make/model/common-name?

It seems like guys never quite got the Geronimo right, most of the time they just called it an Aztec. I wanted to tell them close enough, just a hell of a lot slower.

I used to do mapping work in a C335. We hot so sick of being called a Skymaster, we just started filing it as a C340. Only Cessna would make a pressurized and non-pressurized version of most of their twins.

For some reason, I've noticed that ATC will refer to the CRJ as "regional jet" or "RJ", while the ERJ is called "Embraer".

For some reason, I've noticed that ATC will refer to the CRJ as "regional jet" or "RJ", while the ERJ is called "Embraer".

CRJs show up on the strip and the scope as "CRJ2" or whatever series, while ERJs show up as "E135."

When you've loaded both of 'em with bags, they're both RJs.

As for the 190...call it whatever. I couldn't care less. FWIW, we are very rarely referred to as an RJ by atc.

When I fly my plane I use "experimental". If its somewhere I may need to be sequenced I tell them "speed compatible with a 150." that usually gives them all they need to work me.

Yessssss! Several days ago I was finally called "a fixed wing experimental" by a well known tower. 5 times! :bounce:

Back