Calling aircraft by make/model/common-name?

um, Dakota is specific. It's the 235HP variant of the Warrior. Performance similar to a 182.

Back to the topic at hand, I fly a PA46 occasionally. I call up as a Mirage, one of the other guys calls it a Malibu. Both are correct. But ATC often tries to call us a Meridian. We don't have a turboprop. :)

Ah my mistake. I kept working one and having never heard of it before I googled it (since I assumed it was a C-47 until the pilot called himself a Piper). The wikipedia link made it appear it was a broad classification of single engine Pipers rather than a specific variant.

Ah (since I assumed it was a C-47 until the pilot called himself a Piper).

To add, this is the only aircraft which should be using the title "TBM" on the radio.....ever

tbm.jpg

What if it's a T-37 or A-37?

Either call traffic as a "tweet" or if they are being a little too ego-tastic, we'd call em a "super cessna", never seemed to like that! But the other day, flying the B1900D, we were called a "queen air".... Guess what goes around comes around! haha

When I flew the 1900 into the Bahamas I would call it Beechcraft 1900 because "twin beech" could mean many other aircraft types. And there's some interesting people flying down there....

Beech 1900 is bigger than a BE-18... so I think it'd be most appropriate to call you a "Big Beech".
Huh huh.

Traffic 12 o'clock 2 miles, VFR, an airliner.

WTF?!:confused:

Oh! A 99, what a retarded airplane.

As a BE50/G, I've been called:
- Twin Beech
- King Air
- Queen Air
- Baron

Despite calling in as "Twin Bonanza."

It gets better, in the Martin 404 we were once referred to as a "large light twin."

As a BE50/G, I've been called:
- Twin Beech
- King Air
- Queen Air
- Baron

Despite calling in as "Twin Bonanza."

It gets better, in the Martin 404 we were once referred to as a "large light twin."

Flying a Martin 404 - badass.

When I flew the 1900 into the Bahamas I would call it Beechcraft 1900 because "twin beech" could mean many other aircraft types. And there's some interesting people flying down there....

Going into uncontrolled airports, I'll refer to myself as a "Superduty King-Air, Crew Cab".. haha

Will ERJ-190 pilots get pi$$y if you refer to them as an RJ?

I did all the time, just "traffic 12'oclock, 5mi regional jet blah blah

Back