CALL TO ACTION: Support a rewrite of Part 135 duty and rest rules

Um, ah... Not sure how to tell you this but there are good 91/135 jobs with regards to schedule and shady operations. I work for a large 135 and we don't do anything shady. Questionable weather at the destination? We can decline the trip and the DO/CP is good with it. Duty and rest is clearly defined. I know my days off for the year. BBQ in September? I already know if I'll be home; my anniversary, I already know if I'll be home; the holidays, I already know if I'll be home.... See the trend there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I want to know is how is the most Jr pilot at your operation treated? I've seen guys with enviable work schedules, because they were married to the dispatcher. Or they were an "Admiral Wizard Level 6" and lorded their "seniority" over all. At every operator that I have inquired about in the Bay Area it is the same 24/7 on call. OK Surf Air has a good schedule but I can't think of many others that do.

But of course everyone is golden on paper. 13 days off a quarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I want to know is how is the most Jr pilot at your operation treated? I've seen guys with enviable work schedules, because they were married to the dispatcher. Or they were an "Admiral Wizard Level 6" and lorded their "seniority" over all. At every operator that I have inquired about in the Bay Area it is the same 24/7 on call. OK Surf Air has a good schedule but I can't think of many others that do.

There are plenty of those operators out there. Miraculously people are on call 24/7, yet at the end of the quarter they have daily assigned rest and 13 days each quarter. I'm a relatively new guy at my operation and I don't have the major holidays off, because of the schedule I was awarded. However I do have some of the other holidays off and have the time off I wanted for my vacations.

Certainly seniority has something to do with the holidays but some of the other guys in my new hire class were awarded the major holidays off, on day one. They were assigned that schedule as the company saw fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same type of scenario at my medevac job. I knew the schedule 12 months out(unless I asked to work extra) and everyone else had the same thing day 1 or year 15.

Back