California (again, I mean)

I had a guy at Spirit, on an Oakland layover (which, BART was one block from the hotel), who, when I offered to take him up to Walnut Creek for lunch then over to Berkeley for dinner, said he wouldn't feel safe in Berkeley.

In BERKELEY.

"Okay, fine."

The next day he got to hear all about the Iron Horse Trail and a few other cool things I did.
I got stabbed at least once on each bus, subway, and ferry in NYC today. I was robbed 7 times.

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 16.37.05.png

Now I'll just complain about this instead of ZNY/N90 all the time.

Super cool, though I'd also be super stressed if I had to rely on the WA ferry system to get me to work. Haven't been terribly reliable in the last few years. Though walk-on would definitely help, if that was your plan. And maybe the Bainbridge ferries get more love than ours/don't have the same tide & sea-state restrictions/have more workers who show up to work? Congrats though, it's great up here.....I mean, terrible, nobody else move here, Autothrust made a huge mistake and is also the last one

Super cool, though I'd also be super stressed if I had to rely on the WA ferry system to get me to work. Haven't been terribly reliable in the last few years. Though walk-on would definitely help, if that was your plan. And maybe the Bainbridge ferries get more love than ours/don't have the same tide & sea-state restrictions/have more workers who show up to work? Congrats though, it's great up here.....I mean, terrible, nobody else move here, Autothrust made a huge mistake and is also the last one
Port Townsend-Coupeville (f/k/a Keystone) has been tidal-restricted the entire time I've been alive, if that's the route you're referring to, kind of a cruddy harbor overall on the east side. But yeah, I'm not impressed with the performance of 'Other Boat' (as in, not TACOMA, the Other Boat) on the route, especially.

If I really had to, I could jump in the car and drive it the long way 'round, and my partner also plans to do just that most of the time. It helps that we're super happy with our place, of course. If we hate it, well, then we move again.

(but I will not live in Gig)

Port Townsend-Coupeville (f/k/a Keystone) has been tidal-restricted the entire time I've been alive, if that's the route you're referring to, kind of a cruddy harbor overall on the east side.

Was more talking about my personal experiences with the Clinton-Mukilteo route. At least on Coupeville-Pt Townsend, you can reserve a car spot. You could spend hours in the peak tourist season on either end of the C-M ferry waiting for a slot, especially if one goes down for staffing or MX or whatever the reason of the day happens to be.

He can’t, I’ve already submitted his rejection to the city council

I’ll take GH any day over the “wanna be Mercer Island” attitudes

It's a bit overpriced for my taste, but it certainly isn't a bad area. Not that it is any more overpriced than a lot of Seattle bedroom communities.

It's a bit overpriced for my taste, but it certainly isn't a bad area. Not that it is any more overpriced than a lot of Seattle bedroom communities.
To be fair, before we bought our house here, we had the discussion of “do we really want to be the stereotype?” (Pilot + wife in RE, 2 kids, SUV, CC membership) We wanted to be Poulsbo/Kingston, or my fav town, Port Gamble.

Well, we actually bought a deck, that had an entire house attached to it! Schools are great, it’s 45 mins door to employee lot most days, restaurants don’t shut the doors at 8pm, 7 Seas is better than BI Brewery.

Was more talking about my personal experiences with the Clinton-Mukilteo route. At least on Coupeville-Pt Townsend, you can reserve a car spot. You could spend hours in the peak tourist season on either end of the C-M ferry waiting for a slot, especially if one goes down for staffing or MX or whatever the reason of the day happens to be.
Ahhh, comprendo. I never went up there during peak tourist season.

That crewing problem has a striking similarity to a certain much-discussed “pilot shortage,” and the State and the taxpayer should take note of the fixes required (and implemented).

The vessels are another matter. Procurement rules for transit take some creativity to get around, and a certain tax revolt is going to come back and have bad consequences.

Well, we actually bought a deck, that had an entire house attached to it!

I dig this big time. Every house we look at with the intention of moving at some point, the only thing I care about at all is the yard, the outdoor amenities, and I guess the garage situation. Only thing I actually care about in the house is that it is generally tasteful, and the kitchen looks like I could do work in. Fortunately, my wife also wholly prioritizes the yard as well. Ideally we snap up some acreage within 45 mins of PDX in the near future before it becomes unobtanium.

That crewing problem has a striking similarity to a certain much-discussed “pilot shortage,” and the State and the taxpayer should take note of the fixes required (and implemented).

I love hearing my "libertarian" buddy (who won't admit he is a trumper), bitch about the ferries, and how they aren't serving breakfast on his early am Pt Townsend ferry to the island. "The problem is we pay them too much and they don't want to work"......

Is that the problem? Really?

I love hearing my "libertarian" buddy (who won't admit he is a trumper), bitch about the ferries, and how they aren't serving breakfast on his early am Pt Townsend ferry to the island. "The problem is we pay them too much and they don't want to work"......

Is he a pilot? I only ask because it is hilarious when pilots get on their high horse about "wanting to get paid but not wanting to work" and then turn around and talk about how they are maximizing pay while also maximizing time off like it is any different.

If you click any comment section about the WSF it's a mess of covid vaccine yelling at clouds.

Back