California (again, I mean)

Just doing some math, it was 23.5 years from when The Spirit of Delta was delivered to when it was unveiled at the museum.

Mapping that on the present day, it would be January 22, 2041 when we see N501DN, Delta's first A350 arrive at the museum.

That is, of course, if civilization surives the Year 2038 problem.

I feel that you may not realize that these people aren't necessarily "fleeing" due to the politics but rather due to general capitalism causing people to get priced out of their homes or making living expenses prohibitively expensive. Taxes are only part of the overall story.

Of course there is also the crowd that goes where the jobs are. Tech companies for example opened up offices and such in Austin, TX. That of course caused a ton of CA people to move to Austin that likely wouldn't have moved there otherwise.

Oh? And how did they get priced out? Could it be decades and decades of voting the same way? My town (Torrance) passed Measure X…. An increase in sales tax from 9.5% to 10%. And the morons here voted yes and passed it.

Certain people just keep voting and voting a certain way, directly harming their wallets, and then act dumbfounded and flee.

Just doing some math, it was 23.5 years from when The Spirit of Delta was delivered to when it was unveiled at the museum.

Mapping that on the present day, it would be January 22, 2041 when we see N501DN, Delta's first A350 arrive at the museum.

Crew to be flown in on a 737MAX…

2038, will be a Republican red wave year!

Oh? And how did they get priced out? Could it be decades and decades of voting the same way? My town (Torrance) passed Measure X…. An increase in sales tax from 9.5% to 10%. And the morons here voted yes and passed it.

Certain people just keep voting and voting a certain way, directly harming their wallets, and then act dumbfounded and flee.
Dude, you live in a state where the weather is extremely temperate (along the coast where most of population exists) with the worlds richest companies on your doorstep. Not only is there a high demand for the area you live in due to the climate and surrounding features there is also a good source of income for those with the qualifications. That has caused housing prices to skyrocket and forced people that don't make $200k+ or have some form of family wealth out of the state. This is what I am talking about with capitalism being a primary cause.

Taxes can be a factor but there are tons of factors beyond taxes that will influence whether a person stays in a state or not.

Hell, I literally moved to NC because of family, friends, and commuting options. I didn't look at the taxes at all before making the decision (ended up being mostly a wash) and knew I would hate the state politics (also no change). Interestingly the schools here are total ass because the state GOP doesn't want to pay for better schools. You get what you pay for.

Dude, you live in a state where the weather is extremely temperate (along the coast where most of population exists) with the worlds richest companies on your doorstep. Not only is there a high demand for the area you live in due to the climate and surrounding features there is also a good source of income for those with the qualifications. That has caused housing prices to skyrocket and forced people that don't make $200k+ or have some form of family wealth out of the state. This is what I am talking about with capitalism being a primary cause.

Taxes can be a factor but there are tons of factors beyond taxes that will influence whether a person stays in a state or not.

Hell, I literally moved to NC because of family, friends, and commuting options. I didn't look at the taxes at all before making the decision (ended up being mostly a wash) and knew I would hate the state politics (also no change). Interestingly the schools here are total ass because the state GOP doesn't want to pay for better schools. You get what you pay for.

A lot of - costs - is California’s own doing.

And it’s overrated. There are other great temperature, good beaches in America without having to hit California-level prices.

Taxes are also a huge factor as to why people are moving out of CA. I’ll let you take a wild guess why people leaving CA like to go to NV and TX.

There are other great temperature, good beaches in America without having to hit California-level prices.

What state has a similar setup as CA that isn't CA pricing? Consistent moderate temps with beaches and mountains in range. Also no crazy humidities and hurricanes, etc etc.

Taxes are also a huge factor as to why people are moving out of CA.
I said they are a factor but most people reference housing costs when talking about the cost of living in CA. Housing has lower than average tax rates in CA.

What state has a similar setup as CA that isn't CA pricing? Consistent moderate temps with beaches and mountains in range. Also no crazy humidities and hurricanes, etc etc.

You can’t write those risks off and just be ok with earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, etc.

I said they are a factor but most people reference housing costs when talking about the cost of living in CA. Housing has lower than average tax rates in CA.

Yeah no crap, thanks to Prop 13. Which has destroyed school quality over the years. People sitting on 3-4 million dollar mansions and paying about 7k property taxes. If they sell me that house tofay, I’d be reassessed at the new 3-4 million price point and have to pay 33-43k in prop taxes.

You can’t write those risks off and just be ok with earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, etc.
Earthquakes aren't quite as prolific as other natural disasters. Hurricanes for example are making FL and the SE coastline much more expensive to live in because they happen every single year multiple times on average causing billions in damage. Wildfires have caused major problems in CA but I don't think it is at the level of hurricanes just yet.

Regardless of natural disasters you still won't find many places to live that have great temperatures with reasonable humidity along with great beaches and mountains. Probably why you didn't even try to list any places.

Yeah no crap, thanks to Prop 13. Which has destroyed school quality over the years. People sitting on 3-4 million dollar mansions and paying about 7k property taxes. If they sell me that house tofay, I’d be reassessed at the new 3-4 million price point and have to pay 33-43k in prop taxes.

Of course, but over time you would reap the gains of limited reassessment increases just like the current occupants do today.

Earthquakes aren't quite as prolific as other natural disasters. Hurricanes for example are making FL and the SE coastline much more expensive to live in because they happen every single year multiple times on average causing billions in damage. Wildfires have caused major problems in CA but I don't think it is at the level of hurricanes just yet.

Regardless of natural disasters you still won't find many places to live that have great temperatures with reasonable humidity along with great beaches and mountains. Probably why you didn't even try to list any places.

I’d take Florida.

Of course, but over time you would reap the gains of limited reassessment increases just like the current occupants do today.

And eff over my kids and their generation. CA is a great example of those getting theirs and pulling the ladder up.

…almost matches my mantra, amirite??????

I’ve been murdered 17 times and buried in human • cycling and taking public transit around the Bay. Also the weather is terrible especially in the summer. No one should live there, in fact if enough people could leave that I could afford an actual apartment there it would be spectacular.
I had a guy at Spirit, on an Oakland layover (which, BART was one block from the hotel), who, when I offered to take him up to Walnut Creek for lunch then over to Berkeley for dinner, said he wouldn't feel safe in Berkeley.

In BERKELEY.

"Okay, fine."

The next day he got to hear all about the Iron Horse Trail and a few other cool things I did.

you do realize which group was responsible for that right

Today, we’d call them boomers. In California, that group is full of those who got theirs and pulled the ladder up. The same group of people who, after buying their homes, voted and passed zoning laws and other nuisances to make new construction tougher/impossible. This latter is not just a CA problem. There’s a reason why construction of new homes never kept up with population increase.

Today, we’d call them boomers. In California, that group is full of those who got theirs and pulled the ladder up. The same group of people who, after buying their homes, voted and passed zoning laws and other nuisances to make new construction tougher/impossible. This latter is not just a CA problem. There’s a reason why construction of new homes never kept up with population increase.
I make fun of the left plenty too.

“In this house we believe:
- science is real
- love is love
- no human is illegal
- Black Lives Matter”

In front of a $1.4 million house in Berkeley, where the owners went and complained about BART yarding out parking lots for transit oriented development and filed a CalEQA suit against admitting more students to the University of California.

But in the instant case, Prop 13 is only >2/3rds popular with republicans.

Back