"But I've got a flow...?"

We're currently at 4/mo on track for the 5/mo to begin in May. With zero attrition that's like 4 years. BUT like every airline we have attrition. I'm figuring about 4 years total for me at PDT. New hires will flow in 5- 5.5 years. We should be at 6/mo by Christmas 2017.

Oh I didn't know they jump to 5 then 6 pilots per month. This might be my best option as I was a young dumb kid and got a dui right after turning 21. Do you know if you are eligible to flow even with a dui?

jtrain609, I definitely hear you and know there was a lot of stuff going on this past decade that put a lot of pilots careers on hold. It seems things are finally turning around and the doors are opening a bit. Hopefully you can move on up soon.

Catchyscreenname, solid info. Hopefully having a dui doesn't disqualify a pilot from flowing. I also figured there would be pilots passing up the flow for their own reasons. The flow also seems like a good mechanism to keep pilots there longer and deter them from moving elsewhere since if you do you lose your spot. I wonder if the other major airlines will start one. With that and the recent pay increase the AA regionals seem to be a great option.

Although I sympathize, do you think you're the only one who is asking themselves these questions and feeling this frustration? I've seen you post a number of times expressing similar sentiment, and I'm left with the feeling that you have a bit of a blind spot with respect to your situation being pretty typical.

I know a lot -- a lot -- of highly qualified people of both civilian and military backgrounds in the same boat as you. I don't know your exact resume data, but many of the people I am referring to have superb resumes; the military guys were Commanders, evaluators, instructors, and the regional/civilian guys are LCAs, chief pilots, etc....and they've had applications out there for in some cases two or more years with all these quals on them.

There is an intersection here of two things that are both out of your control and out of your ability to observe:

- Airlines have unknown and transient qualifications that they're using to call for interviews and hire (note the posts this morning from @Derg in another threadregarding how one Legacy seems to have changed its own process within the last 12 months).

- You don't really know what other guys who've been hired actually have on their resumes. I've shared my resume, and offered to critique/review resumes of several pilots who are trying to get hired at my current shop. I've been surprised more than a few times by qualifications/accomplishments/awards these people had that I never knew about. In some cases, these were people I'd known for years, and whom I'd thought I knew their quals...but they had things in there that made them more (and sometimes less...) qualified than I thought they were. Other people have said the same thing upon seeing my resume, too. Sometimes the game people verbally told me about themselves wildly understated (or overstated) how they looked on paper. So, I've learned that you can't really effectively yardstick yourself against someone unless you've actually seen their app/resume.

Wow, this exactly right here! When I look at my resume or that of my friends, they all look the same. It's hard standing out when everyone appears the same.

jtrain609, I definitely hear you and know there was a lot of stuff going on this past decade that put a lot of pilots careers on hold. It seems things are finally turning around and the doors are opening a bit. Hopefully you can move on up soon.

Agree 100%. There are plenty of signs that things are loosening up. UPS just dropped their 1000 TPIC min to preferred. SWA doesn't require a type rating anymore. Delta is holding free job fairs. This is just the beginning of the wave. In Delta's case, the overwhelming majority of pilot hiring so far has been due to domestic narrowbody growth. Even though that growth is starting to slow up, now comes the spike in retirements. In 2022 50% of the pilot list will be 2014 or later hires. Those who will miss out on this wave either have too much blood in their ledger or are still sitting in middle school right now.

Agree 100%. There are plenty of signs that things are loosening up. UPS just dropped their 1000 TPIC min to preferred. SWA doesn't require a type rating anymore. Delta is holding free job fairs. This is just the beginning of the wave. In Delta's case, the overwhelming majority of pilot hiring so far has been due to domestic narrowbody growth. Even though that growth is starting to slow up, now comes the spike in retirements. In 2022 50% of the pilot list will be 2014 or later hires. Those who will miss out on this wave either have too much blood in their ledger or are still sitting in middle school right now.

I hope you're right, man.

Back