Busting the Washington ADIZ????

[ QUOTE ]
That's right; but just make sure you have been handed off to Potomac before you enter the ADIZ. IOW, if Philly only told you to contact them, and while you were trying to get Potomac you entered the ADIZ, that could be a bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it? After all, you would have a squawk and you would also be in touch with ATC. You'd be in full compliance with the rules, wouldn't you?

If you are from out of the area and are not familiar with the ADIZ, don't fly into Freeway in a 152. Or at least make sure it has a moving map, there is no room for error there and it is a TINY airport very hard to find unless you know the area. I suggest FME (fort meade) 10 minute drive to freeway from fme. Much better airport, same tie down fees I believe. I am based out of Fort Meade. PM me any specific questions you may have. I have flown in the ADIZ since its creation. Just follow the rules and you'll be fine...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's right; but just make sure you have been handed off to Potomac before you enter the ADIZ. IOW, if Philly only told you to contact them, and while you were trying to get Potomac you entered the ADIZ, that could be a bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it? After all, you would have a squawk and you would also be in touch with ATC. You'd be in full compliance with the rules, wouldn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you might get a bust, but I'm not sure. The reason I think so is that you received your last squawk from Philly, in this example. Even if they hand you off to Potomac, and Potomac knows you are coming, you have to have them acknowledge you with your callsign before you penetrate the ADIZ. In this example, you were in contact with ATC, but that was Philly, not Potomac (which handles the ADIZ).

Now if you are IFR, all of this changes. . . .

I'll second this. You have to realize that Freeway has a very narrow runway, also; so if you are not used to that, it is just one more difficulty. FME is an easier place to land, but it too is in a cutout--of the Bravo airspace. Be careful.

For me, the easiest thing in the world is just to get your Bravo clearance, and land at good 'ol BWI. They're nice over at Siggie, but maybe that's because I know them all.

BTW, have any of you heard from Zombie recently? I remember that he worked at BWI.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are from out of the area and are not familiar with the ADIZ, don't fly into Freeway in a 152. Or at least make sure it has a moving map, there is no room for error there and it is a TINY airport very hard to find unless you know the area. I suggest FME (fort meade) 10 minute drive to freeway from fme. Much better airport, same tie down fees I believe. I am based out of Fort Meade. PM me any specific questions you may have. I have flown in the ADIZ since its creation. Just follow the rules and you'll be fine...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'll second this. You have to realize that Freeway has a very narrow runway, also; so if you are not used to that, it is just one more difficulty. FME is an easier place to land, but it too is in a cutout--of the Bravo airspace. Be careful.

For me, the easiest thing in the world is just to get your Bravo clearance, and land at good 'ol BWI. They're nice over at Siggie, but maybe that's because I know them all.

BTW, have any of you heard from Zombie recently? I remember that he worked at BWI.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not "that" inexperienced... Its freeway, or take my car on the freeway and drive 8 hours. If I need to I'll go around. I've already been briefed by FSS on the procedures, so as long as I'm doing my job, and ATC does theirs (and believe me, if they do not, I will not hold myself responsible!) all should go well. I'm expecting a good tailwind, and a fun flight into freeway. I'm looking for a challenge.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you might get a bust, but I'm not sure. The reason I think so is that you received your last squawk from Philly, in this example. Even if they hand you off to Potomac, and Potomac knows you are coming, you have to have them acknowledge you with your callsign before you penetrate the ADIZ. In this example, you were in contact with ATC, but that was Philly, not Potomac (which handles the ADIZ).

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked at the NOTAM. I don't see anything in it that says you have to be talking to Potomac in order to go into the ADIZ. If you can find where I'm wrong, please point it out to me so that I have the most accurate information.

All the NOTAM says is that you must be squawking a discrete transponder code and that you must be in two way radio communication with ATC.

Therefore, going back to the main point of this post, since sorrygottarunaway will be getting flight following, he'll have a squawk and he'll be talking to ATC. That's all he needs.

Well folks, I'm happy to report that the trip went off without a hitch. I was handed off to Potomac Appch well in advance of the ADIZ, they gave me a new squawk, and I happily meandered my way to he cheapskate bridge and flew along route 50 to freeway. Winds were a bit gusty, but the airport, while it does have some power lines and obstacles in the way is not really bad at all.

Sunday is the trip back, today is a visit to ATP.

ATP in Manassas? I went and checked out their operation there.

One thing to keep in mind is the Class B airspace and its rings. I like to fly into Martin State (MTN), and occassionally when I depart they tell me to stay out of Bravo, usually when BWI traffic is picking up so I don't climb into 737's, 767's, etc. It's no problem, just stay low, avoid a few very tall towers, once I get to the outer rings I'm usually authorized to climb, other times they ask me to hold on.

Going into MTN I've never encountered this, or when flying through the ADIZ to DE, but when leaving inside the ADIZ from MTN, obviously I'm cleared in the ADIZ since I'm starting inside it, but Class B airspace is still another issue.

I flew a PA 28 into ATL and a C 172 into CLT. Both were on IFR flight plans.

I had more problems at ATL. We had to get delaying vectors for a while and then max forward speed, expedite off the runway.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked at the NOTAM. I don't see anything in it that says you have to be talking to Potomac in order to go into the ADIZ. If you can find where I'm wrong, please point it out to me so that I have the most accurate information.

All the NOTAM says is that you must be squawking a discrete transponder code and that you must be in two way radio communication with ATC.

Therefore, going back to the main point of this post, since sorrygottarunaway will be getting flight following, he'll have a squawk and he'll be talking to ATC. That's all he needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but that phrase, "talking to ATC," means what it says. If you get a handoff to Potomac, and you dally, enter the ADIZ and then and only then call Potomac, that may be a bust. The ATC you need to be talking to before you enter the ADIZ is Potomac. Of course, the NOTAM isn't specific about this case, and you'd most likely have plenty of time to contact them before entering. Still, why risk it? Make sure you're talking to Potomac, specifically, before you enter thie ADIZ.

That's my "saving my butt" mentality, anyway!

Ah, and I see that this is indeed how it ended up working. He got a handoff, and a new squawk. ATC are good people--they gave him plenty of time to get Potomac on the line, I see.

they back was not so different, except I kept the same squawk all the way home. I don't think freeway is the worst place, its right off of route 50, so I guess as long as one follows that its ok.

I'm not sure if the new transponder I got coming was because I needed a penetration code, or they just wanted me to recycle. I got handed off, and everyone was very nice to me. I guess I wasn't expecting this really since I'm lowly and humble VFR that has no business anywhere.

So I guess I better mention this too: Freeway airport was where I had my FIRST flight ever, when I was 17. I had to do it with my sister because my parents had forbid me to fly at all: So I just went and visited her, and told her to take me to the airport. So I guess it was a little more than convenience, maybe some memories involved too.

Thanks for the help guys...

Odd Todd rocks. I bought Kristie a "CoffAY" mug a few years ago.

Glad you enjoyed your trip down here, buddy. Next time, stay longer and send me a PM so that I can grab a beer with you.

sorry Tony... I shoulda been on the internet this weekend to check stuff, I was spending most of my time with...

IMG_1121.jpg

But we need to meet anyway, since the flight is only about 2 hours 20...! It would be fun!

yep this is my niece, who I am determined to spoil rotten whenever I am down in the DC area.

We're talkin:

Ice Cream
Balloons
Rides on the swing!

BOOOYEAH! Nieces rock!

Back