Busting the Washington ADIZ????

Make sure you that you also get a clearance through Bravo, if you need it. One suggestion is simply to land at BWI (where I am based). Park the plane, and take a MARC train into Washington.

But then you have to with Signature
crazy.gif

FREEWAY is 5 bucks a day tiedowns. Heck, I just need to be picked up by my sister, who lives about 5 min away from that airport. Craphole it may be, but I'm not carrying passengers. Just myself and my overnight backpack.

CAN YOU IMAGINE A CESSNA 152 GOING INTO BWI?

[ QUOTE ]

CAN YOU IMAGINE A CESSNA 152 GOING INTO BWI?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a fleet of Katanas based there at the flightschool.

I would park there if I didn't have to go to signature, the death of all GA traffic.

Signature is to be avoided like SARS

Looks like Rwys 15L and 33R might be GA friendly, I'll check into this. Maybe the sis could drive here too.

Signature is the only FBO on the field, be prepared to be parked all the way in the back and be the last to get a ride to your aircraft. Also be ready for the $3.00 a gallon fuel bill. And make sure you don't loose your ticket to get back out to your aircraft. Also don't bring a pocket knife, after all they wouldn't want you highjacking your self now would they.

FORGET IT!!!!!!

I now was looking at the weather, and the AM shows basic IFR conditions for Danbury clearing up by midday.

Now, by midday there will be a 60NM TFR over east meadow NY due to pres. candidate visits, shutting down all traffic from our airport. It will go hot just as the weather is clearing up.

I'm wondering what they would do if I were already in the air before it went hot, and then just scooted out when it cleared up.

Otherwise:

NO GO.

It'll be an interesting drive I guess...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

CAN YOU IMAGINE A CESSNA 152 GOING INTO BWI

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite easily. I trained out of BWI in a Cessna 150.

How about a c-172 at LAX !!!

done it...
grin.gif

It's a pretty sight when 15 are in line for T/O and you're sandwich between two heavy....

172 at ATL.
Cherokee at ATL.
152 at CLT.
Cherokee at IAD.
Bonanza at MEM.
Bonanza at PIT.
Bonanza at DTW.
Duchess at EWR.
Duchess at BWI.

I did them all ... and a whole bunch more.

In most cases IFR. "Keep your speed up as long as practical, expect runway X." "Max forward speed to the middle marker, contact the tower." In the Bonanza, I actually got speed REDUCTIONS on more than one occasion, believe it or not.

Russ

I get speed reduction in a caravan on daily basis !
damn citation.........
shocked.gif

just kiddin..........
grin.gif
grin.gif

As far as LAX, you need to be IFR, and get a window from departure tower before release....at least it was the case 3 years ago...donno if they changed their policy as far as GA

[ QUOTE ]
how do they let you in? Or on initial callup, do they yell at you? We're you IFR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me: "Potomac approach, Cessna XXXXX, information Oscar, VFR, 3,000' on the 130 radial, 30 DME, VFR ADIZ flight plan, landing Baltimore,"

Appr: "Roger Cessna XXX, squawk 4547."

Me: "Cessna XXX, squwak 4547."

. . . .

Appr: "Cessna XXX, radar contact 8 miles northeast of Easton. Cleared into the Bravo, fly heading 330, expect runway 33R."

Easy as pie. Just know your stuff, and you'll be fine.

Note: a clearance into the ADIZ, technically, is not required. What is required is that you file a "VFR ADIZ" flight plan, or an IFR flight plan; and that the controller ident you. Some controllers actually add, "Cleared into the ADIZ" in order to avoid confusion. Often, I just cover my butt and add, "Verify cleared into ADIZ?" to which they often simply say "Affirm." In any event, if VFR, you still need your Bravo clearance.

[ QUOTE ]
Note: a clearance into the ADIZ, technically, is not required.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. All that is required is a squawk and two way communication with ATC. So, if you're flying down here, and you have flight following, you're good to go. You'll be talking to ATC and you'll have your squawk.

That's right; but just make sure you have been handed off to Potomac before you enter the ADIZ. IOW, if Philly only told you to contact them, and while you were trying to get Potomac you entered the ADIZ, that could be a bust.

Also, I should note that Potomac treats the VFR ADIZ plans as if they were IFR plans. IOW, they have a strip for you, and sometimes when you call with just your N number, they give you a squawk (without you going through the whole spiel).

Back