bush landing on Long Island this week??

Ryan

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lisecu093701305mar09,0,1026799.story?coll=ny-li-span-headlines For how long do presidential visits impact an airport? because I plan on doing an introductory flight at KFRG this weekend possibly (which i still have to schedule). Anyway this is going to make for alot of angry pilots on thursday and not to mention the added car traffic caused by all of the road closures due to his visit, he is actually visiting the town two towns away so we're definitely gonna feel the impact, looks like i'm doin alot of walking thursday
wink.gif

sorry if that link doesn't work, if you want to read the story go to newsday.com then to long island and it should be somewhere in the bottom of the page

Visit aopa.org for detailed info about the TFR. Specific details usually aren't announced until a day or so inadvance, but expect a 10-mile radius area where most GA flight is prohibited, then a 30-mile TFR with flight restrictions (must be in contact with ATC, discrete squak, etc.). These restrictions are usually centered around his airport of arrival and/or his destination.

I couldn't fly out of ADS monday cause Bush was flying into Love Field. No lessons all day for anyone. I heard a single engine plane got a little too close around Arlington and an F-16 buzzed over really quick!

Ryan,

What part of Long Island are you from? I am from Levittown, and I am gonna be taking my lessons and all out of KFRG too.

I think the only POTUS TFR for tomorrow is for Cleveland, OH. But of course, check aopa.org or faa.gov to be sure.

Ethan

Hey I am from Levittown, although i am currently in Daytona Beach Fl at Embry Riddle. Anyway anybody know where bush is landing? I use to work at Long Island Jet Center in FRG last summer, and worked there this past christmas break.

AOPA says watch out for a 60nm TFR.

Got to love this president- so he can get some votes, I cant fly and therefore I lose money. 60nm is a little insane.

looks like the tfr is for tomorrow the 11th....does that sound right? im trying to get up to frg on sunday....you guys had me worried.

The size of the TFRs is exactly the same as it has been since post-9/11 ... a 30NM radius around a point, in other words, 60NM all the way across. Usually, between 10 and 30 miles from the center you can operate with ATC communication, transponder code, etc. Yeah, it is inconvenient and a real pain. However, I will say that they do seem to keep the restrictions localized to the times he's around (in other words, usually only a few hours long) rather than putting them up for days before and after.

This is the post-9/11 world, folks. I don't like it any more than anybody else does, but unfortunately it is what it is. Check your NOTAMs every time you fly!

Russ

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan,

What part of Long Island are you from? I am from Levittown, and I am gonna be taking my lessons and all out of KFRG too.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm from Babylon

I'm guessing that all of this will be cleared up by saturday because I just scheduled an introductory flight with BK Aviation at KFRG, (so excited!!!!!
cool.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
Got to love this president- so he can get some votes, I cant fly and therefore I lose money. 60nm is a little insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude! Why is it that you blame Bush as though he is the only President that has a TFR and wants to win a second term? That's so unfair, and very shortsighted. All Presidents want a second term, and all of them have a TFR associated with their travel - put into effect by the Secret Service, not the President himself.

And it isn't like Clinton's travel didn't inconvenience anyone. I remember one time that he boarded Air Force One at LAX once, and delayed departure so he could get a haircut. The airport was completely shut down for the entire duration, inconveniencing thousands of people. Get a grip!

Just saw the TFR...it's 30 nm radius from KFRG from 12:30PM to 7:45PM I think (rough times I don't remember exactly). All flight training in that area and time frame is prohibited.

ryan, maybe ill see you out there. I will be landing around 11-noon in a white and green piper arrow...5271t is the tail.

give me a shout if you see me. ill be getting gas at long island jet center.

Ryan,

Word Of Advice, CHECK THE PLANE THOUROUGHLY!!!!!!!!!
I have heard a few stories of some licensed mechanics that have rented their planes.

Ex.
My Friend(Licensed CFII and Mechanic) Rented a Cessna. He got the key, went and got in to the plane. He browsed his instruments to check his panel before going for his exterior inspection and guess what he saw. A LEAPING HOLE IN HIS PANEL!!!! His whole COM Radio was missing. He looked around the outside of the aircraft and found 6 things that could have grounded that aircraft. He went back in and got a refund.
frown.gif

Good Luck!

PS Want To Meet Up Some Day?

[ QUOTE ]
Dude! Why is it that you blame Bush as though he is the only President that has a TFR and wants to win a second term?

[/ QUOTE ]

We blame whatever President is responsible for the individual Bullsh*t!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]We blame whatever President is responsible for the individual Bullsh*t!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever that is ridiculous, you want to fly right up to Air Force One and take a picture?

Back