BRS equipped Cessna 152?

I'd invest into making it 150-150 (150hp stc) and some 8" bubble windows for added elbow room.
Throw in airglas nose fork and proper size tires on it while you're at it and it's going to be a fun ride

I'm generally not a fan of crutches. It's the same reason I criticize people who immediately revert to hand flying because they don't understand the automation. The key to real safety is knowing what the hell you're doing, not relying upon crutches.

Perhaps you and I have a different idea about what a "crutch" is in an aviation context. To me, a crutch would be being utterly dependent on a GPS because one's pilotage or radio-nav skills were weak to non-existent.

Are you saying that the BRS enables a pilot to make a go decision where, without it, they'd make a no-go decision?

Are you saying that the BRS enables a pilot to make a go decision where, without it, they'd make a no-go decision?

That’s what I remember the original criticism when Cirrus developed the BRS being. Basically pilots saying “let’s give it a shot, worst case scenario we pop the chute” and launching into adverse conditions they otherwise wouldn’t fly in.

That’s what I remember the original criticism when Cirrus developed the BRS being. Basically pilots saying “let’s give it a shot, worst case scenario we pop the chute” and launching into adverse conditions they otherwise wouldn’t fly in.

I have no doubt that internal dialogue has happened but it's like saying we shouldn't have seat belts or airbags or crumple zones because it will cause people to drive more recklessly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have no doubt that internal dialogue has happened but it's like saying we shouldn't have seat belts or airbags or crumple zones because it will cause people to drive more recklessly.

I have no issues with BRS, I think it's a great safety tool when employed properly. It just comes down to training and ADM. I don't see a 'chute as being any more dangerous than a low hour ppl multi buying a Baron because "twins are safer" then only flying 40 hours a year with a BFR every 24 months.

I have no issues with BRS, I think it's a great safety tool when employed properly. It just comes down to training and ADM. I don't see a 'chute as being any more dangerous than a low hour ppl multi buying a Baron because "twins are safer" then only flying 40 hours a year with a BFR every 24 months.

Yeah - we're thinking alike here. ADM is far more important, and pilots have been finding ways to make poor decisions and get themselves killed for a hundred years. The 'chute, autopilots and wing levelers are good safety tools, but none of them should ever replace sound ADM.

I'm generally not a fan of crutches. It's the same reason I criticize people who immediately revert to hand flying because they don't understand the automation. The key to real safety is knowing what the hell you're doing, not relying upon crutches.
Well looking at the stats it seems that a lot of chute pulls are caused by mismanaging automation, often at night, so it seems like if people hand flew more there would be a lot fewer chute pulls.

Shocker.

As long as the explosions stay on the inside you're golden.

Yeah, along with a bunch of other stuff. I guess my point is, I'd rather light a fire that "gently" makes metal spin in one direction than the alternative.

Aren't they $10k every 10 years? I get it, maybe it'll add to your resale (or detract, depending on how much time left) down the road, just something else to consider

I’m saying that people who shouldn’t be flying airplanes are flying airplanes because they think they can just pull a chute and everything will be okay.

Well looking at the stats it seems that a lot of chute pulls are caused by mismanaging automation, often at night, so it seems like if people hand flew more there would be a lot fewer chute pulls.

Shocker.

This is some pretty screwy logic. What is the source of the problem in your scenario? Someone misusing the automation. So address the problem: learn the automation!

I’m saying that people who shouldn’t be flying airplanes are flying airplanes because they think they can just pull a chute and everything will be okay.

This is some pretty screwy logic. What is the source of the problem in your scenario? Someone misusing the automation. So address the problem: learn the automation!
Like, literally no one agrees with you on this.

Aren't they $10k every 10 years? I get it, maybe it'll add to your resale (or detract, depending on how much time left) down the road, just something else to consider

A little more than $16k to repack the Cirrus chute these days. Line cutters every six years for about $1300.

I learned to fly 10 years ago, just before the glass and ipad craze was coming out. I did the paper charts and basic VFR flying, and I knew people who were against all the modern and EFB changes. Now I always fly with an Ipad, and prefer glass over steam gauges. I embrace technology, but always appreciate the fundamentals and timeless art of flying that preceded this generation. I think the BRS parachute, is a step in the right direction for GA safety. Of course it should not be an excuse for proper training and ADM.

I think it’s 10k for the Cessna repack. It’s not much for the operating cost since it’s every 10 years., and it could add to resale value. I’ll probably get a 172 to be more useful unless I get desperate and settle for a 150/152 for a good deal.

Back