Breeze

Insert City pair here....... The problem is in bold italic.

The PIT to PHL and PIT to CLT commute is particularly tough though. Lots and lots (and lots) of super senior pilots and FAs were based their with USAir. When the domicile shut down, they mostly displaced to PHL and CLT (and DCA a bit), but kept living in Pit. If guess many are retired by now as it was a senior base to begin with, but 2007 and onward was a disaster between those city pairs. Thankfully Southwest started up service out of PIT, thinking it was going to be their next BWI, and had a bunch of (mostly empty) flights to PHL each day for everybody to commute on.

The PIT to PHL and PIT to CLT commute is particularly tough though. Lots and lots (and lots) of super senior pilots and FAs were based their with USAir. When the domicile shut down, they mostly displaced to PHL and CLT (and DCA a bit), but kept living in Pit. If guess many are retired by now as it was a senior base to begin with, but 2007 and onward was a disaster between those city pairs. Thankfully Southwest started up service out of PIT, thinking it was going to be their next BWI, and had a bunch of (mostly empty) flights to PHL each day for everybody to commute on.
Can I please just 8 AA in peace?

MaxP, how about SWA for BWI?

Working on it... BWI is rather senior I was told, west bases initially for new hires. However long initially is, who knows, but that's what I've heard. DEN, OAK,LAS. If that one works out, I'm not gonna say no but it's gonna be a PITA commute.

Grew up and reside south of Pittsburgh. About 10 min drive from AGC now, PIT is 30 min in no traffic, 45 with.

Where in the South Hills? Grew up in the South Hills and make it back every so often. Started my training at AGC (PFTC), finished at BVI (Moore Aviation).

Where in the South Hills? Grew up in the South Hills and make it back every so often. Started my training at AGC (PFTC), finished at BVI (Moore Aviation).
Grew up in Bethel Park, been in Baldwin for awhile now. I started at PFTC in the mid 90’s, did some school/flying at CCBC (Proflight). Instructed at PFTC 2006-2007 and 2008-2010.

Did they send something out to people that applied in this most recent window?
I didn't apply during the last window, but applied prior to the pandemic and never heard back. My portal hasn't been updated in 2 years and I received a virtual invite earlier this month.

I've been hearing this for years, but what specifically about Alaska makes it bad for commuters? I know several, but I've never really asked them about it.

The schedules, line bidding, reserve lines, everything about Alaska is clearly designed (negotiated) with a mindset pilots live in base. If I had to bet of all the airlines out there (pre-VX merger), Alaska has the highest percentage of pilots that live in base.

I've been hearing this for years, but what specifically about Alaska makes it bad for commuters? I know several, but I've never really asked them about it.
Trips are all early start and late finish, reserves only have 11 days off a month. Most line holders only have between 11-15 days off a month. There is very little scheduling flexibility, what you get awarded is what you fly. Pairings aren't built to stack together and with a mandatory credit window, you can drop stuff. Lastly, the company does nothing to help commuters with things like priority jumpseating, etc.

Reserves are 12 days off.

Trips are hit and miss. With Covid recovery, there are variances so historic averages are off. For September, all my 3-day trips were check in 6pm and done about 6pm, so 48 hrs TAFB. Not too bad. But I set my schedule up mostly as 3 on, 2 off, repeat. Commuters wouldn’t want that.

My original September award was an OF line ~76:40 credit and 16 days off. I ended up doing 107.5 credit and 12 off. October back on reserve so just 79 hrs.

Back