Breeze

Max Power

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms here ( the APC Breeze thread...) does anyone on here work for Breeze or know anyone that does? I'm still waiting to hear back from my last major interview pre-screen and decided to apply to Breeze and see what happens. They've already sent me the link for the on demand pre-screen video interview 24 hours after applying.

I live in one of their bases and the idea of getting into a startup is intriguing and terrifying at the same time. I know history is littered with the carcasses of startup carriers, but if it works out, it could be worth the gamble. I've determined that I don't mind regional/point to point flying (really) but that I mind being at an FFD carrier that I fear is slowly being strangled to death by its CPA and management.

Just mulling over my options here in case the current major interview track ends in TBNT. To me, living in base with a lateral pay move(provided I would go in as a captain) isn't any worse than having to commute across the country for more money but also as an SIC and being on the bottom of a long seniority list for some time. I usually frown upon "direct entry captains", but this being a startup, it's not the leapfrog/FU I consider it to be at an established operator.

I'm not entirely crazy, if the major thing works out, I'd go there of course. Also considering ACMI as an option if the major doesn't work out, since I've never done cargo and would appreciate flying a heavy aircraft as well, which could also pay off down the road as well. ACMI schedules and globe hopping are what have kept me from trying to go there before, but the longer my regional thrashes around, the better any other option looks.

Concerns of course are the viability of the whole thing, the lack of a union and of course, compensation/QOL that isn't stellar initially. But if they make money and stay in business, that could come along. Could. At least the name on the plane would match the name on the paycheck! Again, I know that Breeze is either the next Jetblue or the next Skybus with little in between. It's either Neeleman and company lightning striking again or where he loses his Midas touch.

Get your popcorn....

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms here ( the APC Breeze thread...) does anyone on here work for Breeze or know anyone that does? I'm still waiting to hear back from my last major interview pre-screen and decided to apply to Breeze and see what happens. They've already sent me the link for the on demand pre-screen video interview 24 hours after applying.

I live in one of their bases and the idea of getting into a startup is intriguing and terrifying at the same time. I know history is littered with the carcasses of startup carriers, but if it works out, it could be worth the gamble. I've determined that I don't mind regional/point to point flying (really) but that I mind being at an FFD carrier that I fear is slowly being strangled to death by its CPA and management.

Just mulling over my options here in case the current major interview track ends in TBNT. To me, living in base with a lateral pay move(provided I would go in as a captain) isn't any worse than having to commute across the country for more money but also as an SIC and being on the bottom of a long seniority list for some time. I usually frown upon "direct entry captains", but this being a startup, it's not the leapfrog/FU I consider it to be at an established operator.

I'm not entirely crazy, if the major thing works out, I'd go there of course. Also considering ACMI as an option if the major doesn't work out, since I've never done cargo and would appreciate flying a heavy aircraft as well, which could also pay off down the road as well. ACMI schedules and globe hopping are what have kept me from trying to go there before, but the longer my regional thrashes around, the better any other option looks.

Concerns of course are the viability of the whole thing, the lack of a union and of course, compensation/QOL that isn't stellar initially. But if they make money and stay in business, that could come along. Could. At least the name on the plane would match the name on the paycheck! Again, I know that Breeze is either the next Jetblue or the next Skybus with little in between. It's either Neeleman and company lightning striking again or where he loses his Midas touch.

Get your popcorn....
Hey, great job getting to where you are. You have options, and you are weighing them. I have not been in your shoes, necessarily, but I'll toss my thoughts in the pot. They're worth what you paid.

1) Breeze pay suuuuuuucks. I don't know about work rules (but I'll bet there aren't any). But you're in base, and if you can be a DEC, then both of those are very helpful. As the pilot pool drains, they'll likely have to raise pay to staff the airline, union or not; doubly so if they catch fire and want to expand. Life could be pretty great for you if that happens. The other side of the coin is that if you're a regional CA with some seniority then your quality of life may decrease.
2) Neeleman isn't just JetBlue. He's also Morris Air->SWA, WestJet, and Azul. His track record is very good. I'm not sure any of his business ventures have failed.
3) While the airline may fail, it will be on its own merit instead of on the vicissitudes of whoever the regional is hitched to at the time.
4) The worst thing that happens is that the airline fails early because of a downturn, and you can't get on anywhere else simply because they're not hiring. Keep in mind that JetBlue was consistently profitable throughout the lost decade, including (I believe) the quarter that 9/11 happened BECAUSE they were a startup. Can't say the same for some of the other carcasses out there, but if it is a well run company, I think the worst case scenario has pretty low chances.

Hey, great job getting to where you are. You have options, and you are weighing them. I have not been in your shoes, necessarily, but I'll toss my thoughts in the pot. They're worth what you paid.

1) Breeze pay suuuuuuucks. I don't know about work rules (but I'll bet there aren't any). But you're in base, and if you can be a DEC, then both of those are very helpful. As the pilot pool drains, they'll likely have to raise pay to staff the airline, union or not; doubly so if they catch fire and want to expand. Life could be pretty great for you if that happens. The other side of the coin is that if you're a regional CA with some seniority then your quality of life may decrease.
2) Neeleman isn't just JetBlue. He's also Morris Air->SWA, WestJet, and Azul. His track record is very good. I'm not sure any of his business ventures have failed.
3) While the airline may fail, it will be on its own merit instead of on the vicissitudes of whoever the regional is hitched to at the time.
4) The worst thing that happens is that the airline fails early because of a downturn, and you can't get on anywhere else simply because they're not hiring. Keep in mind that JetBlue was consistently profitable throughout the lost decade, including (I believe) the quarter that 9/11 happened BECAUSE they were a startup. Can't say the same for some of the other carcasses out there, but if it is a well run company, I think the worst case scenario has pretty low chances.

Even with seniority (27/700 now), QOL is decreasing because everything and everyone is in short supply and hiring isn't going great. The mothership keeps sending our flying westward, so to me our IAD base is also on borrowed time (as was EWR). The 145 is a largely obsolete airframe and Kirby wants single class 50 seats gone as soon as he can, if he ever can. At least taking the "ownership" mentality of helping a startup get going and it benefitting everyone involved would feel better than watching a company grasp at straws to just try to stay in business. It seems that's a semantic argument but I don't think so. I was hired at my regional when it was a sub-200 pilot group and all of the ills we had then have only gotten worse as we've grown because they were never fixed. It's growing pains, I expect much of the same at Breeze, but if management can handle it properly then that's a big difference.

Neeleman and his track record is what gives me hope that Breeze might be different than Skybus, for example. I listened to the "How I Built This" podcast about him (which went into Morris Air and the rest of his history) and whatever his failings as a person, he knows how to get an airline moving. He was a disciple of Herb Kelleher even before his brief time at Southwest from Morris Air. JetBlue was well capitalized but it still needed to prove its worth in the market at a very rough time, same with Breeze. It's a gamble, pure and simple.

The pay is not great, no, but I work for a low paying regional that is struggling. It's a lateral move pay wise for me right now, which could become more lucrative if BZ does well. And if not, well, my career has been interesting so far, why not keep it going?!

I don’t know anything about Breeze specifically, but one plus I think is that you’ll no longer be just another regional pilot looking for work, but one from a LCC. I think it would be more impressive if it involved a type that wasn’t an RJ, but at least it’s something else to differentiate your resume. This goes for the ACMI world too. Just because you go there, doesn’t mean you have to stay there…hopefully.

I do understand the hesitation to join a startup though. I’ve heard Breeze on the radio exactly one time since they’ve started. The other day I saw an article about how the crew had a 5 hour sit in HSV and bought all their passengers desserts. The 5 hour sit and the abysmal pay rates are what stood out to me.

Unless I am missing something, aren't you eligible for one of the programs through the carrier you fly with? It would be insane to leave where you are at to go to Breeze if eligible especially before you hear back from your last major interview pre-screen. Yeah, Neeleman has had success, but not by flying up to 100 people a few times a week between TPA and XNA/TUL/CHS.....

Friend of mine jumped ship from regional FO to Breeze the other month. The way hiring is now he told me he’s looking at captain upgrade within 6-8 months. If you want a way to become captain quick this is a good way. Upgrade time will increase as the company grows though.

Unless I am missing something, aren't you eligible for one of the programs through the carrier you fly with? It would be insane to leave where you are at to go to Breeze if eligible especially before you hear back from your last major interview pre-screen. Yeah, Neeleman has had success, but not by flying up to 100 people a few times a week between TPA and XNA/TUL/CHS.....

I took my chance for those programs, I am no longer eligible for them since I took the chances and was not selected. Am I skeptical? I'm a pilot, of course I am! And if given the opportunity at the major, I don't think I could go to Breeze on a chance it will become the next JB when I could get on with a major I've always wanted to be at. But if that chance doesn't come...

Even with seniority (27/700 now), QOL is decreasing because everything and everyone is in short supply and hiring isn't going great. The mothership keeps sending our flying westward, so to me our IAD base is also on borrowed time (as was EWR). The 145 is a largely obsolete airframe and Kirby wants single class 50 seats gone as soon as he can, if he ever can. At least taking the "ownership" mentality of helping a startup get going and it benefitting everyone involved would feel better than watching a company grasp at straws to just try to stay in business. It seems that's a semantic argument but I don't think so. I was hired at my regional when it was a sub-200 pilot group and all of the ills we had then have only gotten worse as we've grown because they were never fixed. It's growing pains, I expect much of the same at Breeze, but if management can handle it properly then that's a big difference.

Neeleman and his track record is what gives me hope that Breeze might be different than Skybus, for example. I listened to the "How I Built This" podcast about him (which went into Morris Air and the rest of his history) and whatever his failings as a person, he knows how to get an airline moving. He was a disciple of Herb Kelleher even before his brief time at Southwest from Morris Air. JetBlue was well capitalized but it still needed to prove its worth in the market at a very rough time, same with Breeze. It's a gamble, pure and simple.

The pay is not great, no, but I work for a low paying regional that is struggling. It's a lateral move pay wise for me right now, which could become more lucrative if BZ does well. And if not, well, my career has been interesting so far, why not keep it going?!

This is C9? EWR already closed? I had no idea. That sucks.

That said, you’re in the top 30 (!) out of 700. Even if they drawdown you’ll be flying their planes til literally the last day. You have seniority and PIC. So pardon the french, why not go to the big 4 or FDX/UPS? Or AS/B6?

DEC is a risk either way. You could show up expecting DEC and be told you’ll be a FO. I’d plan for worse case in that sense. Our Virgin Director of Training went to Breeze. As in resigned and walked away here. He’s a big head honcho there (not sure if their Dir of Training). We also had some Airbus fleet Captain mgt guy go there too. They too HUGR risks to do so. But it also tells me they believe in Breeze and Neelemen.

That said, you’re in the top 30 (!) out of 700. Even if they drawdown you’ll be flying their planes til literally the last day. You have seniority and PIC. So pardon the french, why not go to the big 4 or FDX/UPS? Or AS/B6?

DEC is a risk either way. You could show up expecting DEC and be told you’ll be a FO. I’d plan for worse case in that sense. Our Virgin Director of Training went to Breeze. As in resigned and walked away here. He’s a big head honcho there (not sure if their Dir of Training). We also had some Airbus fleet Captain mgt guy go there too. They too HUGR risks to do so. But it also tells me they believe in Breeze and Neelemen.

C5, and EWR ends for us as a base on October 30th and I don't see us doing much flying there afterwards. And I've been fishing for the big 4 as well and nearly everyone else since the ink dried on my 4 year degree in 2019. Interview prep, letters of rec, all of it and it's either crickets or TBNT after the interview, the last being B6, but I think I know what went wrong there. Alaska would mean a cross country commuter forever, not interested and can't relocate.

You do bring up an aspect I hadn't thought of, the ol' bait and switch for DEC and FO. Well, I thought of it briefly, but then I said "Nah, they won't do that". But then I also remembered this is an airline...

As for hanging around the regional, no doubt I can cling to the door until it sinks too with my seniority. But getting in on this hiring wave with someone would be preferable to hanging around any longer. My 5 year plan has become 8 already, Covid not withstanding.

CC is actually right about this the Big 4/FDX/UPS/AS/B6 hell even F9 and NK are known...but Breeze is a huge gamble...might pay off, might not.

I've been to 3 interviews(all corporate) that were for DEC and when I got there it was switched...literally walked out of all 3.

FWIW our current Director of Training is a former AS training guy, CC knows him. ( initials JO)....everyone needs to base it on there families best interests.

I would probably go if the major you're interviewing with doesn't pan out. If nothing else it would wash off the regional stigma as Screaming Emu suggested. Certainly the startup aspect is risky but it's looking more and more like our employer is a sinking ship anyway.

Even if they drawdown you’ll be flying their planes til literally the last day.

C5 is small, only slightly larger than TSA was when they got Comaired, so there's likely very little middle ground between a drawdown and "the last day". As I see it the absolute best case scenario is we get Comaired in a few years.

....FFD carrier that I fear is slowly being strangled to death by its CPA and management.

Beautiful things are happening in the industry. I am so happy and can't wait until there are less FFD carriers out there.

C5, and EWR ends for us as a base on October 30th and I don't see us doing much flying there afterwards. And I've been fishing for the big 4 as well and nearly everyone else since the ink dried on my 4 year degree in 2019. Interview prep, letters of rec, all of it and it's either crickets or TBNT after the interview, the last being B6, but I think I know what went wrong there.

Ok, if AA/DL/UA/SWA/B6/NK/F9/FEDEX/UPS, aren't going to happen in weeks, then go to Breeze.

Alaska would mean a cross country commuter forever, not interested and can't relocate.

Going to be blunt, but this is foolish. Dozens upon dozens of ExpressJet Pilots told me in the 2005-2008 timeframe that they were not interested in Continental as they didn't have bases they wanted to be in and didn't want to commute long term. They are now thousands junior to those hired in 2012 at United. Alaska is a great company and a certainly a place you can be at for the rest of your career. Also, what you saying that makes no sense. What happens if you go to Breeze and they say "oh we are going to change our operations and opening a single base in SJC to operate out of to focus on the West Coast". How different is that than commuting to Alaska?

Wait...I just went to APC and someone said, "For example, they are charging them for snacks and soda, but giving a 25% discount."

Is this true????

Ouch, being at Commutair sounds like a tough position with the base closure and all. It's great you've got your apps out and have had an interview and waiting to hear. Hopefully that comes through for you. If not, I really don't think I would recommend Breeze. I can't see them being around very long plus their pay is in the basement. IF....the major you applied to doesn't work out, you might consider Envoy for the guaranteed flow through to AA. As the 145's transition out and the 175 fleet builds, we are looking at a 300 plus 175 fleet. You'll fly mainline aircraft at Envoy and will only have one interview and you are done. Things to think about.

Ouch, being at Commutair sounds like a tough position with the base closure and all. It's great you've got your apps out and have had an interview and waiting to hear. Hopefully that comes through for you. If not, I really don't think I would recommend Breeze. I can't see them being around very long plus their pay is in the basement. IF....the major you applied to doesn't work out, you might consider Envoy for the guaranteed flow through to AA. As the 145's transition out and the 175 fleet builds, we are looking at a 300 plus 175 fleet. You'll fly mainline aircraft at Envoy and will only have one interview and you are done. Things to think about.

I’ve seen it all now….

Jeezus mother F***ing Christ! Did I just witness an abortion in real time?!!

Dude, I have zero power on this forum. But this guy is opening his stomach to the elements in this thread. He's doing the whole Agent Smith thing from the original Matrix. "He just needs to get out, now!" I'm going to ask, please that you do not post any further in this thread, that you instead stick to posting your trollish drivel in other threads. And not serious threads where guys are out here literally actually asking for for real help and solutions from helpful members. It's not really a good look trolling people desperately trying to get out of FFD flying, when you're already at a legacy. Failure to comply and I will start a whisper campaign to finally have you swiftly removed from the site. I don't get too serious about too many things on this site, but I'm very serious about this. The OP is a really good dude and a valued member of the site/community, and he doesn't need to weed through your ridiculous and distracting post on his thread. Thank you. Nameste.

Last edited:
Back