Bought a Light Sport :)

Yeah, and then they traced down the problem and made a solution so a new operator of the type didn’t have the same thing happen and “oh, heh, yeah, sorry shoulda warned ya!”

Which is why they’ve got all kinds of placards and warnings about using the right fuel instead of letting people figure it out by trial and error and word of mouth.
The rotax manuals are incredibly specific. The 912S is a part 23 certified engine.
From the operator's manual -
Screenshot from 2018-01-14 19-13-26.png

So if you use LL, or a lot of it, I'm pretty sure you have to rebuild the gearbox rather often. I can't remember exactly, but there should be something in your engine manual/mx manual or maybe it's a service bulletin. Either way, find it and comply. Also make sure you use 100% dino oil. Nothing synthetic at all. 25 hour oil changes with LL to iirc.
It takes sport plus 4 oil. I'm pretty shocked at how low of an amount it consumes. I'm guessing its because the radiator is doing a lot of the cooling?

Last edited:
Yeah, and then they traced down the problem and made a solution so a new operator of the type didn’t have the same thing happen and “oh, heh, yeah, sorry shoulda warned ya!”
Exactly. Which is what I did. Again, stop making generalized statements.

The rotax manuals are incredibly specific. The 912S is a part 23 certified engine.
From the operator's manual -
View attachment 41584
Just to add to the document you provided:
It says using a winter blend in the summer can lead to vapor lock. Winter blend has more Butane in it because butane is cheaper to produce and EPA RVP(Reid Vapor Pressure) standards are actually lower in the winter than they are during the summer (at least in California). Butane has a higher RVP. The higher the RVP, the more likely that fuel will evaporate or boil in the gas tank. During summer they bring the RVP requirement to a stricter standard. Therefore, in the summer, when the OAT is higher, using a winter blend that contains higher butane content will lead to vapor lock.

Having said that, I don't know how you would use a winter blend in the summer unless you were storing the fuel which means youre at some podunk airport. What I take from all this is I'm learning more and more as I'm progressing.

It takes sport plus 4 oil. I'm pretty shocked at how low of an amount it consumes. I'm guessing its because the radiator is doing a lot of the cooling?
Because it's a liquid cooled motor, the tolerances are much tighter and there is less expansion going on. Less room for the oil to get past the rings really. Also you've probably noticed that it gets to temp and stays there. It doesn't matter the power setting, it just stays there. An air cooled motor will swing 200 or more degrees in a flight.
Scaled up for comparison... I would have to add a quart every 150 hours. Basically I never have to add oil between changes.

Welcome to 1980s tech.

I thought this was interesting

http://www.autofuelstc.com/stc_specs.phtml

I remember years ago Petersen's sold a cheap RVP tester that you could use to verify that the fuel was safe. I used it several times and it always was so just kept buying gas from that station and then would check it about once a month. Never had any issues but that was in an old Cessna.

Some fun info I just found out. Im trying to buy a tow bar. $395.00!!!! WTF. WHY

Why?

I would have asked the same thing until one night I was trying to muscle a PA-28 into a parking space, alone, uphill, with a broken tow bar.

It was the suck.

This is a LIGHT SPORT - says right on it. So it's light, and pushing it around is a sport. Easy.
Funny you say that. I moved parking spots because mine was on a uphill angle. I can push it back fine myself but I don't trust students.

Made an offer on this beast, they accepted. It's got 378 hours TT on the frame. Parachute and drinks car gasoline(hello $3/hr). It's quite a step up from my 1979 Cessna 152. This being my third airplane purchase, I'm getting better and better at sniffing around for problems. I'd say the biggest mistake I made with the two previous purchases was that I never really broke in the airplane to see what problems it had. A spin around the pattern typically won't reveal its ghosts. If you're gonna buy a plane, along with the prebuy, go fly it for 1-2 hours. Offer to pay the owner. Anyways, I'm looking forward to only burning 4.5 gallons per hour. My 152 burns 6.1 @ $5.05/gal which takes me from $30.80 per hour fuel burn to $13.18. I'm going to be saving about $1711 per month on fuel savings per plane. I'm selling the 152 and I'm planning to purchase a second one within a couple of months provided this plane performs as stated. I"m really diggin the exterior color, not so much the interior however I'm planning on installing sheepskin seat covers so it won't really matter.

How’s the plane been working out? I’m in the market for something in that price range but can’t decide. Is the sport cruiser IFR capable?

That’s the definition of maturity/growing up.

Age 23: “I can fix/make/create that!”

Age 43: “I can/should pay someone to fix that for me!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In my experience, it's

Age 23: I can make/Fix that! But it's done crappy and I have to get help or just buy it.

Age 23+a handful - I've actually learned how to do that, and I could pay someone to do it, but that would cost more, take more time and I'll still have to modify it to make it work correct.

How’s the plane been working out? I’m in the market for something in that price range but can’t decide. Is the sport cruiser IFR capable?
I sold it in January and bought another 172. When it comes down to it, they're not good flight trainers. Each one has its weaknesses. and the 1 weakness that they all have in common that won't work for flight training is they're too light weight and get thrown around in the winds above 10-12 knots. 172's can handle much more. For ownership its not too bad of an airplane.

Back