Bought a Light Sport :)

This thread made me do a little research on LSA. I'm sold now. I'm in the market for a used one. Low fuel burn, and the fact that you can get a few year old used LSA with dual 10" glass cockpit MFDs and autopilot for $50-60k got me.

This thread made me do a little research on LSA. I'm sold now. I'm in the market for a used one. Low fuel burn, and the fact that you can get a few year old used LSA with dual 10" glass cockpit MFDs and autopilot for $50-60k got me.
Just be careful. Many of them start to fall apart right about the time a 150 would be broke in.

Be careful. Weight is such a bigger thing in LSA. Usually when I see all these bells and whistles on LSA, the useful load is approaching 0. LSA needs to be a bare bones crazy basic aircraft. If mine weighed a pound over 700, I wouldn't own it.
Just be careful. Many of them start to fall apart right about the time a 150 would be broke in.
I have not read of this. Have anything to link to?

Be careful. Some of them arent built to handle modest winds or firm landings. I initially looked at the flight design and skycatcher but ultimately decided on the Piper Sportcruiser(Czech) because the Evektor used market doesn't exist. They're virtually the same so doesn't really matter.

The plane arrived today. Lots of initial thoughts. This thing got airborne in the low 40's kts. Wow. It takes a little getting used to but so does every plane. The one I picked up only had 378 hours on it TT. The paint is in pristine condition. I need to develop lots of SOP's for it that apply to GA. If you don't placard the heck out of it, students will definitely break every last knob. Biggest no no thus far is it doesn't take 100W oil. The pilot who dropped it off today said a student at their school managed to use 100W on one of theirs before the CFI could yell "STOP!". Pictures and updates to come. I got an offer on my 152 today. Not happy with the offer but its close to what I wanted to let it go for. We shall see.

So initial thoughts. The airplane is definitely squirely. Fuel burn is amazing. I'm averaging 3.5 gallons an hour per lesson when you factor in taxi times. I've been using 91 octane. I had vapor lock two days ago on takeoff. Called the dealer and found out that when there are big temperate swings from night (lows in the 40's) to high temps during the day (80's) the fuel that california produces causes vapor lock in Rotax engines. This would explain why the "other" flight school at our airport have had 3-4 off airport landings(at the old el toro airport). The "fix" is when those temps are expected we are to use 100LL or at the very least a 50/50 blend of 91 and 100LL.

I got 20' in the air on takeoff and the engine powered down from vapor lock. I quickly "aborted" and still landed on remaining runway. The runway is only 2700' long. Thank god it didn't happen a few seconds later or else.....

Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0021.mov
    3.4 MB · Views: 160
Is there a provision to remove the BRS to increase useful load?
I'm not sure but what I am sure of is if you throw enough money at anything its definitely possible. My concern in doing that would be resale value or if used in a training environment the look it gives the school.

So initial thoughts. The airplane is definitely squirely. Fuel burn is amazing. I'm averaging 3.5 gallons an hour per lesson when you factor in taxi times. I've been using 91 octane. I had vapor lock two days ago on takeoff. Called the dealer and found out that when there are big temperate swings from night (lows in the 40's) to high temps during the day (80's) the fuel that california produces causes vapor lock in Rotax engines. This would explain why the "other" flight school at our airport have had 3-4 off airport landings(at the old el toro airport). The "fix" is when those temps are expected we are to use 100LL or at the very least a 50/50 blend of 91 and 100LL.

I got 20' in the air on takeoff and the engine powered down from vapor lock. I quickly "aborted" and still landed on remaining runway. The runway is only 2700' long. Thank god it didn't happen a few seconds later or else.....

Here are some pics
Do you have an electric fuel pump? Generally the Rotax doesn't require one but it generally will prevent any vapor lock issues. On for takeoff and landing like any plane.

Are you able to find ethanol free 91 easily? I'd think it would be difficult in your area.
I think the swift 94 is gaining traction. Might look into that.

Here are some pics
See, that kind of shiz is what gives LSA/homebuilt a bad name “oh, yeah, it just kind of quits on takeoff if the temperature is wrong”.

See, that kind of shiz is what gives LSA/homebuilt a bad name “oh, yeah, it just kind of quits on takeoff if the temperature is wrong”.
I can give you more than a dozen examples of accidents happening in 121/135 ops for issues they never saw coming. Off the top of my head: British Airways B777 losing power on final approach. Had to do with lower than usual temps up at high altitude. Don't generalize.

Do you have an electric fuel pump? Generally the Rotax doesn't require one but it generally will prevent any vapor lock issues. On for takeoff and landing like any plane.

I think the swift 94 is gaining traction. Might look into that.
Yeah it has an electric pump. I've been keeping it on anytime the PSI starts dropping off. I threw in a few gallons of 100LL today. The tanks were almost full so I could only add about 5 gallons but I intend to add another 5 tomorrow to top it off. The blend will be about 33% 100LL so I'll monitor the situation and the temps.

I bought a house near Kona cheaper than what my condo is San Clemente is worth. 3 years, 4 months until I retire. But who's counting...

After I posted I was thinking your plane might be legal for ethanol in the fuel since it's an LSA. I wonder if ethanol in your gas could have caused the problem. I live near an area where there is a lot of boating and ethanol free auto gas is easy to find. Maybe try boat gas from a Marina but it would be as expensive as avgas probably. The good news is your fuel burn is so low that the savings from auto gas might not even be worth the trouble. I'm a big fan of auto gas in GA as a way to keep costs down. I had good success with it in the late 90's. Ethanol is bad for the fuel system unless the plane is designed to burn it.

The Sport Cruiser is my favorite LSA. Wouldn't be surprised if I bought one in retirement. That or a straight tail Cessna 150. Can't make up my mind.

Yeah it has an electric pump. I've been keeping it on anytime the PSI starts dropping off. I threw in a few gallons of 100LL today. The tanks were almost full so I could only add about 5 gallons but I intend to add another 5 tomorrow to top it off. The blend will be about 33% 100LL so I'll monitor the situation and the temps.
So if you use LL, or a lot of it, I'm pretty sure you have to rebuild the gearbox rather often. I can't remember exactly, but there should be something in your engine manual/mx manual or maybe it's a service bulletin. Either way, find it and comply. Also make sure you use 100% dino oil. Nothing synthetic at all. 25 hour oil changes with LL to iirc.

I can give you more than a dozen examples of accidents happening in 121/135 ops for issues they never saw coming. Off the top of my head: British Airways B777 losing power on final approach. Had to do with lower than usual temps up at high altitude. Don't generalize.
Yeah, and then they traced down the problem and made a solution so a new operator of the type didn’t have the same thing happen and “oh, heh, yeah, sorry shoulda warned ya!”
So does a lycoming or continental if you use the wrong fuel.
Which is why they’ve got all kinds of placards and warnings about using the right fuel instead of letting people figure it out by trial and error and word of mouth.

Back