Boss needs a jet

I hear they sell L1011's for 600k these days... Just have to fly to Somalia or South Africa to pick it up...

That fits the mission?

Well they fly to Hawaii so it should work. :) Honestly I don't know it says only 2600 mile range so I don't know how we always saw them in Hawaii from Carlsbad.

Never knew it was so hard to find a coast-to-coast jet.

Well they fly to Hawaii so it should work. :) Honestly I don't know it says only 2600 mile range so I don't know how we always saw them in Hawaii from Carlsbad.

Never knew it was so hard to find a coast-to-coast jet.

Who flies it to Hawaii?

What model Lear?

They were always parked next to our aircraft when I was there. A couple were used as air ambulances as well.

Well just trying to help educate and will great respect. You should look into a wet footprint. Sure you can go to Hawaii. Can you make it to the equal time point (the middle of the dang ocean) and have a failure and make it to the coast? Think about it. You are fat dumb and happy and all of the sudden "CABIN DOOR SEAL" the checklist says go down to FL250 but you don't have enough fuel to get from where you are back to either coast at FL250. Basically you are going swimming, likely you will die. Now I don't know jack about the Lear 36 and maybe it can make it to Hawaii without a wet footprint. Try and see where I am coming from. Just because a pilot was willing to accept an unusual amount of risk doesn't mean you have to. Do some research. Talk to a REPUTABLE 135 operator and ask about these things. If anything it will make you look great at your next job interview.

Also you should take into consideration the amount of fuel and passengers you will need to take with the lear and make it to the east coast AND hear the following words: "Lear 12GFY, I've got holding instructions" "Lear GFY we just shut down TEB do you want White Plains or EWR." "Lear GFY looks like that weather moved into White Plains, where do you want to go?"

True story bro. It happens and don't think for a hot second that the boss man will be cool with "Oh I WILL NEVER EVER ask you to go fly in bad weather." Because as soon as he needs to he will ask to do just that and say that his buddy in NY says the weather is just dandy. True story as well.

This whole situation gives me the creeps and it should give you the creeps too. Be careful bro. I'm not saying anything bad about you. Please don't get defensive keep an open mind and do a little research. I've got some great reading for you and I would be impressed if a bad mofo king air boss (I was one too) was willing to be humble enough to do just that.

I got it. Those are both airplanes that real men fly.

Looks like the boss is set on a Learjet. Any Lear36A's sittin' around?

With all due respect, you cannot make that decision until you have a budget. The relationship between a Part 91 aircraft manager and principal is based on trust. Granted the boss is pitching the idea of a Lear, but what if you okay it and it turns out it's too expensive to operate? You look like an idiot, and that chain of trust breaks. As soon as trust is questioned you may as well start packing. There should not be any other steps taking place before you have a defined budget. Once you have that you can start figuring out fixed and variable costs, and then start looking to see if there even is an airplane out there that fits your mission in that price/operating range. I've been in your shoes. I have gone from turbo prop to turbojet management and realize how exciting of a time it must be for your flight department, but you have to do it right. If the boss comes back and cant define a budget then run, don't walk to the unemployment line.

Goodluck and let us know when the budget is defined so we can start helping some more should you want it.

These guys are wet blankets. What you need is an MU-2 with some aux tanks strapped in the back.

adu6e9eh.jpg

Well just trying to help educate and will great respect. You should look into a wet footprint. Sure you can go to Hawaii. Can you make it to the equal time point (the middle of the dang ocean) and have a failure and make it to the coast? Think about it. You are fat dumb and happy and all of the sudden "CABIN DOOR SEAL" the checklist says go down to FL250 but you don't have enough fuel to get from where you are back to either coast at FL250. Basically you are going swimming, likely you will die. Now I don't know jack about the Lear 36 and maybe it can make it to Hawaii without a wet footprint. Try and see where I am coming from. Just because a pilot was willing to accept an unusual amount of risk doesn't mean you have to. Do some research. Talk to a REPUTABLE 135 operator and ask about these things. If anything it will make you look great at your next job interview.

Also you should take into consideration the amount of fuel and passengers you will need to take with the lear and make it to the east coast AND hear the following words: "Lear 12GFY, I've got holding instructions" "Lear GFY we just shut down TEB do you want White Plains or EWR." "Lear GFY looks like that weather moved into White Plains, where do you want to go?"

True story bro. It happens and don't think for a hot second that the boss man will be cool with "Oh I WILL NEVER EVER ask you to go fly in bad weather." Because as soon as he needs to he will ask to do just that and say that his buddy in NY says the weather is just dandy. True story as well.

This whole situation gives me the creeps and it should give you the creeps too. Be careful bro. I'm not saying anything bad about you. Please don't get defensive keep an open mind and do a little research. I've got some great reading for you and I would be impressed if a bad mofo king air boss (I was one too) was willing to be humble enough to do just that.

Yeah I know all about that. I was asked to possibly ferry the ATRs out to Hawaii, luckily it never came to that! This was for an airline though and not the current company company. This current company is top notch and I am so lucky to have been picked to be where I am now.

The Lears we saw said 36A on the tail and were back and forth between Carlsbad and Honolulu. There was also an occasional medivac Lear that would make the jump as well. Like I said earlier it would be used for taking a maximum of six passengers from the Northwest to the New York area. There are no open water flying we would be doing besides maybe a Caribbean trip once every five years.

With all due respect, you cannot make that decision until you have a budget. The relationship between a Part 91 aircraft manager and principal is based on trust. Granted the boss is pitching the idea of a Lear, but what if you okay it and it turns out it's too expensive to operate? You look like an idiot, and that chain of trust breaks. As soon as trust is questioned you may as well start packing. There should not be any other steps taking place before you have a defined budget. Once you have that you can start figuring out fixed and variable costs, and then start looking to see if there even is an airplane out there that fits your mission in that price/operating range. I've been in your shoes. I have gone from turbo prop to turbojet management and realize how exciting of a time it must be for your flight department, but you have to do it right. If the boss comes back and cant define a budget then run, don't walk to the unemployment line.

Goodluck and let us know when the budget is defined so we can start helping some more should you want it.

Thanks, we also have a broker working for us as well. The boss usually asks us to see if we feel comfortable with his aircraft choices. We've been operating this King Air for 13 years now and there are many people that he works with to see what budgets they have to operate their aircraft as well. Nearly everything we do for the current aircraft is in house we have a full time mechanic and us two pilots. I don't see him making the jump to a jet with little thought and realizing later that it doesn't work out. There is nothing that doesn't get completely planned out with the company. We are just doing our little part to make sure no stone is left unturned and that is why I have asked assistance from everyone here as well.

I should also specify that the stops are not out of the question since we do them most of the time when we have to fly to the midwest now.

Back