Bose A30

I gotta disagree with you. The ANR on the Proflight 2s is fantastic. The ear tips were fine enough on the Airbus for me to get to 18 and go topless. But I eventually did custom molds and that helped a TON.

They have been my favorite headset to use professionally so far.

Which site did you buy the custom molds from?

I use the A20’s on the Airbus, well
It’s kind of an Airbus. Works fine up front, some planes have some worse background noise for whatever reason and i use it in back on DH’s.

I need to figure out of my old bose is a X or a A20... but it needs fixing.

X is old and the part that connects the ears is a tan color. Also the ear cups have a rounded back. A20s are black with puck-shaped ear cups.

Spare parts for the X are available on Amazon. I replaced the stirrups on mine for about $30.

I finally replaced my X with an A20 this Christmas. Holy smokes what a difference, and the ability to Bluetooth music is a game changer.

Fix

Last edited:
Is the ANR any better on the A30 than the A20? If so, are Bose offering a trade in rebate?
I’m wondering the same thing. From what I read why would I upgrade my A20’s? Just the fact that Bose is trying to sell the ability to change the mic position without tools as the big new feature says they got nothing. Has anyone changed the mic position more than once?

Lightspeed had a nothing upgrade recently too, they painted the ear cups a different color.

If you spent $1,200 and upgraded you iPhone 12 to an iPhone 13, I’d guess ear cup color maters to you.

922B6D0E-7CD1-470C-A6B9-222B8012C3BE.png

I’m wondering the same thing. From what I read why would I upgrade my A20’s? Just the fact that Bose is trying to sell the ability to change the mic position without tools as the big new feature says they got nothing. Has anyone changed the mic position more than once?

Lightspeed had a nothing upgrade recently too, they painted the ear cups a different color.

If you spent $1,200 and upgraded you iPhone 12 to an iPhone 13, I’d guess ear cup color maters to you.

View attachment 70843

There are upgrades. The Delta Zulu (although I find it hideous) has a carbon monoxide detector built in which is cool for GA. The A30 having digital ANR over analog is a big improvement. The mic on the A30 is noticeably more clear. And with it being lighter and with less clamping force, I see no reason not to call the A30 a win. Oh also, the cord is much thinner giving the headset a less heavy feeling when you wear the headset, and also makes it less cumbersome. The X and the A20 set the standard with their releases, what more in a headset could you want?

There are upgrades. The Delta Zulu (although I find it hideous) has a carbon monoxide detector built in which is cool for GA. The A30 having digital ANR over analog is a big improvement. The mic on the A30 is noticeably more clear. And with it being lighter and with less clamping force, I see no reason not to call the A30 a win. Oh also, the cord is much thinner giving the headset a less heavy feeling when you wear the headset, and also makes it less cumbersome. The X and the A20 set the standard with their releases, what more in a headset could you want?
What is the difference of digital ANR over analog ANR? Does it really matter? I saw that as just marketing words.

Agree, the Bose X and A20 set the standard. Is the A30 a reason to upgrade?

I won a Zulu at Aircraft Spruce just before Covid, better than PNR but lacks in performance both in and out. Don’t think I’d ever buy a Lightspeed product. When I won the Zulu my wife took my A20’s so I could be in the market for a new headset.

I have a big head but never understood a clamping issue. I’ve worn Bose, Lightspeed and David Clark 13.4 for 8 hour flights and never had an issue.

I recently tried on a pair of A20s for the first time ever, in a single engine piston airplane. They were impressively comfortable and quiet.

I'm trying to figure out a headset/equipment combination that would work for all three of these:

- General aviation airplane
- Airbus
- Deadheading bluetooth connection to laptop/ipad and also connect to the seat-back entertainment system

And...runs off the airplane power and not AA batteries.

I'm guessing such a thing doesn't exist!

Inflight seatback entertainment won't provide power, so that will be your nemesis in this scenario.

Bose A20 works great in all the airplanes I fly, both GA and part 25.

On the note of the A20, any tips on saving battery life? Seems like every other trip i have to replace the AAs. That’s turning sound cancelling on at engine start, off at the gate. Never used the BT function, whatever that might allow

I get about 20-30 hours out of the batteries in the Seneca, which is not a quiet airplane.

Panasonic rechargeables would get me 2-3 weeks of hard flying.

I saw someone make a usb adapter for the A20.
The other end fit directly into the battery slot.

The micro USB port inside the battery cover can be used to power the A20 and A30. It isn't a clean solution (wish there was a third party battery door that had the plug on the outside) but in a pinch, you can do it.

Y’all know they make inner-ear noise canceling headphones for deadheading in back right? And they fit in your pocket in a little charging case no problem. And they’re phenomenal. I use the Sony WF-1000XM4. Love them.

Y’all know they make inner-ear noise canceling headphones for deadheading in back right? And they fit in your pocket in a little charging case no problem. And they’re phenomenal. I use the Sony WF-1000XM4. Love them.
That’s what I bought on the consumer reports recommendation. Love em.

Back