Boeing pushes for Max10 exemption

The Guppy is a massive POS. Zero redeeming qualities. 25ish hours in it so far after 2000 in the Airbus, miss it every flight!

I’ve only sat in the jumpseat of the bus but I pretty much hate my life every time I set foot on the 737

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While the USAF did that with the -135 series, KC/RC, etc, with CFM motors; they never did that with the E-3 or E-8 series, leaving the JT8s on those, for some reason.

A friend of mine recently pointed out that they actually DID re-engine the E-3 with CFM56s on the “E-3D” and “E-3F” models:

1655773128739.jpeg

Sadly they were only for export to the UK and France respectively, and the UK ones were already retired from service. Chile bought some second hand D’s from the UK as well according to Wikipedia.

Guess what they retired to make way for? The E-7 Wedgetail. The Guppy is coming for you guys, you can run but you can’t hide! :p

It’s a real man’s plane. You guys with your 747/767 experience where there’s caviar and a 4 course meal and a plane that pretty much flies itself, while you decide if you want to do the sudoku or go for the CAs bait on abortion rights.

By the time one gets to a major, the “real man’s plane” BS should have disappeared into the ether a long time ago.

I want to sit in my seat while the plane flies itself and scratches my ass for me on demand.

By the time one gets to a major, the “real man’s plane” BS should have disappeared into the ether a long time ago.

I want to sit in my seat while the plane flies itself and scratches my ass for me on demand.

Too True. True of many other truisms as well.

The challenge these days is that it takes FNGs about 12 months to "gets to a major".

While the USAF did that with the -135 series, KC/RC, etc, with CFM motors; they never did that with the E-3 or E-8 series, leaving the JT8s on those, for some reason.
Tried to attach a pic for proof, but no joy sans javascrypt*. The Navy has at least some Looking Glass class (is that even a thing anymore? birds with CFMs. (I've got video of their pattern work ... c.2017)

*intentional

Last edited:
Why would I know anything about corporate jets? Show up to work, fly my airplane, go home and don’t think about airplanes for a week.

We already know corporate jets are nicer, have way better avionics, blah blah blah. Corporate bros always let us know their technology is way better.

LOL. Methinks you took me wrong. I wasn't bragging on corporate equipage. I was actually going for somewhat the opposite. (Cessna never designs anything truly new unless they absolutely have to.)

Hell, they're currently hustling the GEN2 CJ4. The big G2 delta?? A fold-down side-facing seat with a rubber mat glued to its folded dorsal surface - to serve as a non-drip luggage space. Good idea. Suggested years ago. However, IMHO, not exactly worthy of new product nomenclature.

Last edited:
Tried to attach a pic for proof, but no joy sans javascrypt*. The Navy has at least some Looking Glass class (is that even a thing anymore? birds with CFMs. (I've got video of their pattern work ... c.2017)

*intentional

The E-6 was similarly (to KC-135) re-engined prior to production. I'm not sure if "Looking Glass" is a term that is used anymore, but you are right, that is the legacy mission. We call it TACAMO now, for "Take Charge and Move Out" (lame). And "Countdown to Looking Glass" is a fantastic movie :) Who knew that it might ever be relevant again?

Rewind to 2004, as the “lost decade” was ramping up and Boeing cancelled the 757 program and threw away all their production tooling. No doubt this was some beancounter thing wanting to make floor space in Everett for something else, not wanting to pay rent on some warehouse to store it all, etc, but in my opinion it was terribly short sighted.

By scrapping the production tooling they abandoned their capability to ever produce another 757 without starting from scratch, and put all their eggs in the 737 basket. Any future request for a modified or updated 757 would have to result in essentially standing up a new program and that aforementioned astronomical cost in manufacturing tooling development.
My father was one of the people very against this and it all went away. Others thought there would be quicker development on a replacement but that ended up being much less profitable than a stretch 737.

I hate watching youtube videos or comments on how Boeing has the blueprints, so production can start up when they want to. They don't understand the complexities of the jigs and moving lines that were used in Renton.

Oh great, can't wait to deadhead on yet another stretched POS as I'm desperately trying to get some fresh air via poorly designed gaspers. Really hope it doesn't get certified and the 737 program finally gets put to bed.

You do realize the MAX 8 and 9 are brand new, going to serve 25+ year career life, and will be built for the foreseeable future.

“hey, you can’t make MAX 10s now because you don’t have EICAS, but hey, make all the MAX 8 and 9s you want for the next 30 years with no EICAS.”

Because, reasons. The deadline is arbitrary and dumb. Especially for planes already announced and built. Let’s face it, this is the FAA politically posturing, nothing more. Ever since the MAX debacle, they want to make it look like they are in complete control and telling Boeing to piss off. And the optics. Imagine “caving” in and saying yes it’s ready and certified on Dec 31 because that was the deadline.

Thinking this airplane is going to be canceled by Boeing or not certified by the FAA is a joke, this all theatre, nothing more.

The E-6 was similarly (to KC-135) re-engined prior to production. I'm not sure if "Looking Glass" is a term that is used anymore, but you are right, that is the legacy mission. We call it TACAMO now, for "Take Charge and Move Out" (lame). And "Countdown to Looking Glass" is a fantastic movie :) Who knew that it might ever be relevant again?
Yeah those are finally going away. Hope those guys like props! EC-130J will be the new TACAMO platform.

Back